RSalvarez

HOW TO RIDE IN SOFT SAND? suspension setings

Although I'm not an expert on it... my advice is this:

air down your tires- bigger footprint

lean back-keep weight off the front tire, so it won't dig in

keep on the throttle- keeps the front light and allows you to steer with the rear

shift weight rather than turn the bars

I've never worried about suspension settings for sand, but maybe somebody else has an idea?

Stand up, lean back . A loose grip on the bars and a tighter grip on the tank/seat with your knees helps a lot.

Less tire pressure helps a ton but you are also liable for a flat from dead heads....SHUT UP Vistacarider!! :lol: find a happy medium. You don't need to touch your suspension for "sand". Adapting to all terrains with the same settings is better in my opinion.

And of course speed and a damper makes it sweeter too.

my dos centavos....

And of course speed and a damper makes it sweeter too.

my dos centavos....

MY BIG PROBLEM START WHEN THE BIKE STARTS TO SHAKE, OR WHEN I FIND A WHEEL PRINT, I CANT AVOID FELL ON IT. A TURN, VERY HARD

WEIGHT AND BALANCE IS THE KEY ?

As others have mentioned, stay on the gas, STAND UP, use your body english to help steer, always put your weight to the outside footpeg....if you're turning right, weight the left footpeg. In more of a straight line, while standing.....move your weight to the rear of the bike so the front end is lighter to help float over the sand.

....if you are sitting, SQUEEZE THE TANK with your knees...this helps prevent the bike from moving and jumping around so much, you can also help steer the bike using input from your knees against the tank.

Also, do not hold the handlebars tight........a loose grip on the bars is always best.

Another thing.....always look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go. Your bike will follow your eyes........if you look at a rutt in the trail, you're going to end up in the rutt. Look at the line you want and your bike will follow. This is an important rule they teach in roadracing and applies to street and dirt riding.

Positive attitude and thinking (confidence).....don't think you're not going to make a hillclimb or obstacle.......say to yourself you're going to make it and then you probably will !!

Always scan the trail far ahead of you, and also directly in front of your bike........looking back and forth so you can pick better lines and avoid obstacles.

Lots of practice is the best thing......using tips like mentioned by everyone here. I used to hate sand for years, until I finally learned how to ride in it.....now, it's not a big deal and is usually fun.

DON'T SWEAT IT' JUST LET IT.'.........

The bike is always going to dance around in the sand, learn to just ' LET IT ' rather than always try to steer and make it go exactly where you want to go. you should be able to keep the bike within a 2' to 3' wide path in most sand washes., and the faster you can go, the better !!! and also keep a light grip on the bars as mentioned above, again' as not to try to overpower the bike because its going to float around no matter what you do..no matter what acc; you bolt on.. and no matter what riding technique you try.

....( REMEMBER ).........Don't Sweat It ' Just Let It' ...........

Never tired a steering stabilizer,because I've never felt the need for one because of the riding technique mention above, and have been riding for 20 years without one, before they even came out with them, seems to me you would lose the fell and defeat where the bike really wants and 'needs' to go..but , like i said I never tired one so i could be way off base..

I thought they where for head shake mostly ( lack of front end rake ) .

Front Fork flex, (left to right) is the biggest reason I've experienced why you lose steering control in the sand, I don't know what kind of bike your riding, but my klr was the worse bike i ever rode in the sand, until i put a fork brace on..now it handles as good as my last dirt bike witch had upside down forks,,

,YES, That much Difference....

WHEN IN DOUBT' GAS IT OUT'......

Although the hardest to do, the best thing to do when your bike gets to that felling like its going down, is to 'GAS IT ' this will usually pull your bike straight....of course thats not in all cases, mostly in sand or whoops. and on minor loss of control, and not major oh sh-ts.........

same as when your pulling a trailer and it starts to sway around , you have to gas it ,(unless you have trailer brakes of course) to create a pull on the trailer, rather than it pushing you, and yes your usually going down hill, and the last thing you want to do is gas it...

These are the only other things that might help, that i didn't see all ready posted above...

.....DON'T SWEAT IT' JUST LET IT.'.... ....WHEN IN DOUBT' GAS IT OUT'......

.................Posted Image

OK, I WILL SEARCH A GOOD SOFT SAND AREA TO TRY THIS RECOMENDATIONS THIS WEEKEND

KAW´ee is a f650 , KTMrad the same bike with the bad front tire from the last DD

THANKS TO ALL FOR THIS INFO IS MORE IMPORTANT LEARN FROM A GROUP OF GOOD FRIENDS AND BETTER RIDERS

Yeah like everyone said stay on the throttle and float the front tire. When turning in the sand don't let up on the throttle very much because with four strokes and the engine braking it will force all the wieght up front and increase the odds of your front tire washing out. Once you get the bike turned slightly open up the throttle and let the rear tire do most of the work. As for going straight just open it up and let the bike track through all the ruts. It is alot more work and effort to try and ride slow in the sand.

Yes, one day i went in a soft sand area were when i stop and return to ride i just cant seat on the bike i walk behind untill i can gas it and ride again, all the recomendations will be great and apreciated

You got good advice here. Two things , brake before the turn and apply some gas thru the turn, you can stiffen the fork if your gonna ride dunes.

You got good advice here. Two things , brake before the turn and apply some gas thru the turn, you can stiffen the fork if your gonna ride dunes.

Thanks, i just buy a new set of maxxis tires and will test on sand ( 50/50 ), and you are right i will test all the recomendations on imperial sand dunes by the border :D to have an intensive course on sand riding . THANKS RACEBILL

I did the same after I bought my 650R. Went to Gordons Well for a weekend to get used to it in the sand. Riding all sand is easier since you can air down a lot more than riding mix- desert washes with rocks thrown in where you need more psi to prevent flats or pinches.