Hooliganrick

Painted Gorge road

Has anyone been out this road to it's end?....or is there a loop to it? Google earth shows some fairly good tracks going into and around the mountains there.

Rick

The road is an easy fire road type, well maintained last time I was on it. It's entrance is 5 miles from Ocotillo. You must exit Hwy 8 at Ocotillo and take the frontage road. I've camped at Painted Gorge more times than I can count ...

I think after about 5 miles, there's a Y. Left leads to a more secluded camping area, bearing right is the main road. This quickly comes to a large riding area with trails that mostly loop back. A lot of people camp there, especially the ones with kids or those who want to simulate track conditions, trying to pick up speed and improve skills.

Nearing the end of this large gathering area is another Y. Bearing left takes you up the gorge.

The gorge gets very nice, offering lots of interesting shapes and plenty of afternoon shade. It ends in a tapering fashion, finally becoming impassable. Camping up there is great. You can ride out to do your exploring.

There's miles of endless riding you can find if you go right from the above mentioned Y. From there the road is your own.

Brett

The road is an easy fire road type, well maintained last time I was on it. It's entrance is 5 miles from Ocotillo. You must exit Hwy 8 at Ocotillo and take the frontage road. I've camped at Painted Gorge more times than I can count ...

I think after about 5 miles, there's a Y. Left leads to a more secluded camping area, bearing right is the main road. This quickly comes to a large riding area with trails that mostly loop back. A lot of people camp there, especially the ones with kids or those who want to simulate track conditions, trying to pick up speed and improve skills.

Nearing the end of this large gathering area is another Y. Bearing left takes you up the gorge.

The gorge gets very nice, offering lots of interesting shapes and plenty of afternoon shade. It ends in a tapering fashion, finally becoming impassable. Camping up there is great. You can ride out to do your exploring.

Brett

Brett, I believe the left of the Y your talking about, was turned into wilderness a few years ago. When's the last time you were out there ? Also, I think a lot of it is whooped out now.

Carguy, am I correct about the closed areas ? Sounds like you've been out there lately. I don't remember it leading into a narrow gorge.

Brett

Brett, I believe the left of the Y your talking about, was turned into wilderness a few years ago. When's the last time you were out there ? Also, I think a lot of it is whooped out now.

Carguy, am I correct about the closed areas ? Sounds like you've been out there lately. I don't remember it leading into a narrow gorge.

It is open to street legal vehicles and you must stay on disignated trails. The trails are graded but very rocky and some quite steep. There are gates that were locked open when we went through. In 2001 the whole area was closed. We covered most of the upper roads and made a loop from the right to the left side. There was a trail that led into a narrow canyon we did not explore that day on the southern side, it may have been closed. The rest of the area was open to the public. Always leave something to explore next time. It makes it worth comming back again and again.

It is a awesome area to ride with spectacular scenery. :)

After further research, the Coyote Wilderness does not have any trails in it. You have to use Painted Gorge Rd to access it.

Remember guys, stay on the roads/trails when in there (Painted Gorge that is).

I referred to two different lefts at Ys, which one are you talking about?

The first one was before the main area leading to camping and some trails. The second one went up the gorge. It's been years since I've been there, but I certainly hope they did'nt close the gorge itself, at least to street legal vehicles.

Carguy, I didn't quite understand your descriptions of the various areas as I remember them. Come again ...

Brett