Sign in to follow this  
2Wheels

Aluminum Welder

Does anyone know of an aluminum welder? -- Preferably within 30 minutes of Chula Vista.

20090130WeldSwingarm002.jpg

I want to fill in the scratches from the chain hitting the swingarm. I could probably leave it as is, but to help prevent cracks from starting, I'd rather get it welded now that it's off.

If you don't find someone close to you, we can do it at our shop in San Marcos. D&D Cycle, we specialize in Dyno Tune, Road Bikes and Custom fabstuff. But since I started working there a few months ago and I'm into dirt and dual sport they let me loose. I can give 20% off on just about everything from tires, gear and accessories all the time. We have a tire and balance machine, small mill, pipe and tube bender. For all of my new friends here, even if we have not met yet PM me if you need something. Thanks Kelly

gene;

Is that a DRZ? Mine has the same thing... Munched up my protector too!

It seems like most of the stress is on the other side of the swingarm, but I'll keep an eye on it

Kelly, I've heard welding aluminum is kinda tricky. Do you have anyone at your shop who's really good at it? Since that swingarm is a $1000 part, finding a good aluminum welder is more important than the cost of a smal job.

Bob - yeah that's from a DRZ. The scratch has gone all the way through where the seal is, but luckily the metal is thicker where the bearing is and it hasn't gone through - yet. After I get it repaired, I'm gonna see if I can't glue a piece of sheet metal with RTV under the rubber protector. Same idea as case savers but for a swingarm.

Ricksha - PM sent.

I will show our welder the photos on Tuesday when I go in. We did just have a old Yamaha Venture the the guy thought the floats were sticking and whacked the bowls hard enough to put holes in. They were welded up.

I will show our welder the photos on Tuesday when I go in. We did just have a old Yamaha Venture the the guy thought the floats were sticking and whacked the bowls hard enough to put holes in. They were welded up.

Wow, what did he use....a sledge hammer? :lol::D

Almost. The carbs were kinda tucked in so it looked like he use a screw driver reaching the bowl and whacked it with the hammer.

Kelly, I've heard welding aluminum is kinda tricky. Do you have anyone at your shop who's really good at it? Since that swingarm is a $1000 part, finding a good aluminum welder is more important than the cost of a smal job.

Bob - yeah that's from a DRZ. The scratch has gone all the way through where the seal is, but luckily the metal is thicker where the bearing is and it hasn't gone through - yet. After I get it repaired, I'm gonna see if I can't glue a piece of sheet metal with RTV under the rubber protector. Same idea as case savers but for a swingarm.

Ricksha - PM sent.

good idear... uh... remove the bearings prior to welding, I would think

I may put JB weld on mine if it happens again... Gene; did you see the post about steering head bearings? I did mine, and it made a huge difference, along with the smaller section tires I put on... it feels almost flickable now (as long as it is vertical)

It still weighs a ton, inverted

Post up pics when you are done, please

I may put JB weld on mine if it happens again... Gene; did you see the post about steering head bearings? I did mine, and it made a huge difference, along with the smaller section tires I put on... it feels almost flickable now (as long as it is vertical)

Wouldn't JB Weld in those grooves/scratches be difficult to get out and make it harder to weld? I mean in case if you ever decide to have it welded.

On Monday I plan on getting out the Yellow Pages and calling a bunch of welding shops to try and find a welder with a lot of experience in aluminum. I'll post up where I finally have it done along with pictures.

Getting the bearings out of the swingarm was easy using a home made press made of a long bolt, a piece of pipe, a socket, and some nuts and washers. I also got the swingarm pivot bolt out using more or less the same idea. It was frozen on my 18 month old bike. I did a write up along with pics in the Thumper Talk DRZ Forum so do a search before you take a hacksaw to a frozen bolt.

Wouldn't JB Weld in those grooves/scratches be difficult to get out and make it harder to weld? I mean in case if you ever decide to have it welded.

On Monday I plan on getting out the Yellow Pages and calling a bunch of welding shops to try and find a welder with a lot of experience in aluminum. I'll post up where I finally have it done along with pictures.

Getting the bearings out of the swingarm was easy using a home made press made of a long bolt, a piece of pipe, a socket, and some nuts and washers. I also got the swingarm pivot bolt out using more or less the same idea. It was frozen on my 18 month old bike. I did a write up along with pics in the Thumper Talk DRZ Forum so do a search before you take a hacksaw to a frozen bolt.

well ain't you the smart one?

I fabricated a similar tool for setting headsets on mountain bikes... once you understand the few basic tools (wheel, plane. lever) you can pretty much work on anything...

as far as the JB weld... it would be "instead" of, not in addition to welding... I don't ride hard enough to worry about breaking it,

there is a guy whos shop is called CHINGON WELDING, he does work on skiffs and such, I have seen his work and the guys in his shop can weld water together, i kid you not, Ihave never seen guys lay a bead like the ones he has working for him. tell him Tommy from Uni goop sent ya.

there is a guy whos shop is called CHINGON WELDING, he does work on skiffs and such, I have seen his work and the guys in his shop can weld water together, i kid you not, Ihave never seen guys lay a bead like the ones he has working for him. tell him Tommy from Uni goop sent ya.

Thanks Blue Fin!

I did an internet search for Chingon Welding and it came right up. A thread about his shop came up on Bloody Decks too. Seems the guys over there were happy with his work.

Thanks Blue Fin!

I did an internet search for Chingon Welding and it came right up. A thread about his shop came up on Bloody Decks too. Seems the guys over there were happy with his work.

He has done ALOT of work for guys on BD. He did alot for me and my skiffs and I watched him do a rail on a FED SHIP that was sweet. the fed ship was a 30 million $$$ toy for some guy and the work was insane.

He is fair in price and like alot of us in the game, his price depends on attitude (yours) and if your drive a lambo or not.

All kidding aside, he is good the owners names is RAMON, class act guy for sure