boat440

Quick Start Motorcycle Showdown

Diodes in the CDI can easily be blown with one little short - no ignition from then on.

Not a common occurrence, luckily.

Yes, but it once happened to me about 35 miles from camp. It was a 78 Husky 250 with Motoplat ignition. The insulation on the wires comming out of the stator wore through and shorted the CDI. Eventually got towed back and had to replace the CDI. If it had been points and magneto I think I could have fixed it in the field.

Motoplats were sort of notorious for burning out. I had a 125 Bultaco Pursang that came with a Motoplat instead of the Femsa ignitions that all my other Bultacos came with. Guess which ignition burned out and had to be replaced? Yup, the one on the 125.

Diodes in the CDI can easily be blown with one little short - no ignition from then on.

Not a common occurrence, luckily.

Yes, but it once happened to me about 35 miles from camp. It was a 78 Husky 250 with Motoplat ignition. The insulation on the wires comming out of the stator wore through and shorted the CDI. Eventually got towed back and had to replace the CDI. If it had been points and magneto I think I could have fixed it in the field.

Motoplats were sort of notorious for burning out. I had a 125 Bultaco Pursang that came with a Motoplat instead of the Femsa ignitions that all my other Bultacos came with. Guess which ignition burned out and had to be replaced? Yup, the one on the 125.

:You might be right but I haven't had one burn out on me. The problem didn't seem to be the fault of the ignition system but rather my neglect of maintainence. I still have a couple of 79 Huskys with Motoplats. No problems with them so far. (30 years?)

Bultaco was a cool bike. If I didn't get involved with the Huskys I think my next choice would be the Maico, Bultaco or Triumph.