Sign in to follow this  
unclecameron

crf450r vs ktm450exc

I borrowed my brother's crf450r and went flogging the mud and hillclimbs with a friend who just bought a WR450...definitely different than the piggie I'm used to. I don't like small bikes generally, but they tend to lose fewer parts if you drop them down a canyon, unlike the pig, and they're much easier to flick around. But it seems to me like the crf450r is a bit high strung, are the 450exc/530exc's any more tame or do they have light flywheel and punchy power bands like the crf's? The cool news is you have an "instant power switch" to get over whatever's in front of you, but feathering the clutch and wailing hijinx over big brush piles and steep precipices seems like it gives me a little more confidence than I should have that what I'm doing won't end badly, are the KTM's tamer, or just as edgy? I need to stop hooliganing, I like the idea of Wyle E. Coyote style hop-off's less and less these days, but the crf makes you think you could climb a wall of cactus...or at least try :ph34r: Gravity, what gravity?

Incidently, my friend who just traded his quad for the WR decided that might have been a bad idea, he spent a lot of time on the ground covered in mud near evil mud ruts, apparently he thought hooliganism on a high strung bike was as easily achieved as, say, sitting on a bench...there might be a cheap WR for sale soon unless I can get him back on it and convince him that the bike won't beat him to death or chase him to his demise somewhere :lol: Either way next time I'll get pictures.

Yes they are less edgy. heavier flywheel, wide gear box, long stroke = smooooth.

KTM has the 450MXC and 450SX which are more like the bikes you mentioned than the EXC.

The CRF450X would be closer to the 450EXC.

I rode a CRF450X and it seemed a bit, um, well, some bikes you date, some you marry, anyhoo seems like a more long term relationship. Does the 450EXC work on pavement, or is it really twitchy and basically a 100 miles or less bike on flat slab, also is the 525/530 series any better?