Sign in to follow this  
bikeslut

Best of 2008

OK- What is the best thing (or worst thing if you're in to that sort of thing) that happened to you in 2008?

And what would you like to happen in 2009? (Not a resolution, per se, just a hope/plan/purchase, etc.)

(I'm having deja vu... did I already post this?)

I joined the site Dec 25th, 2007, so I'm gonna say one of the best things about 2008 was meeting and riding with a ton of great people on SDAR. I have had a blast riding and talking to all those of you I have ridden with, and I hope to do a lot more of it in the future. I also met a pretty awesome girl, and that's been a great part of the end of my year.

Thank you all for some good rides and for being the giving, awesome community that you are.

The worst thing that happened to me is that I have been unemployed most of the year, which most of you already know unless you have been living under a rock.... :ph34r:

The best thing was getting to ride with the guys and gals from SDAR. :)

I hope that in the upcoming year, that I get a better job that is more suited to my tastes and talents and I get to keep riding with the guys and gals from SDAR. B) I also hope I don't have to get rid of any more of my bikes and I can do some of the upgrades to them that I have been wanting to do.

Best: Healthy family members including my son-in-law who came back from Afghanistan in one piece. Re-uniting with my oldest after he took a year off from family after his Iraq tour.

Finding SDAR...across the board a great group of folks who sincerely enjoy riding, the scenery and comraderie. No shortage of riding partners!

2009 Birth of my Grandson mid-Feb. Continued health and more rides.

Best: Healthy family members including my son-in-law who came back from Afghanistan in one piece. Re-uniting with my oldest after he took a year off from family after his Iraq tour.

Finding SDAR...across the board a great group of folks who sincerely enjoy riding, the scenery and comraderie. No shortage of riding partners!

2009 Birth of my Grandson mid-Feb. Continued health and more rides.

Worst: My wife getting laid off, with her entire department, in February; she's still looking for full-time employment (currently she's doing some Marketing/Product Management consulting).

Best: My wife getting laid off in February - my wife was able to care for our daughter full-time and that has been great for our family. "Things happen for a reason" really seemed to fit this situation.

2nd Best: June/2008 - purchased my KTM 530 Exc-r.

What would I like to happen in 2009: besides a economic rebound, and my wife getting a job, I would like to become a better rider, learn more trails and meet more ridding buddies. Ok, so there are 5 things - you get the idea.

2008 was a good year for me... Cody learning the alphabet was the most recent highlight... doesn't make him the best traveling partner, though... he needs to point out every letter on every billboard! (he's 2)- Did some great rides in 2008 with great people. Seems like I don't go a month without a memorable ride... Lark in the snow, Jacumba, Alessandro, Corral in the rain, Corral solo, epic singletrack with bill and ozzy, all the great tunes from fakename, OW with tracy and Jordan :sick:, I could go on forever

2009- looking forward to SeaWorld being purchased by a themepark company... Anheuser busch was awesome, but the economy, and a new parent company thats main business is business (as opposed to AB being a brewer) has made times a little rough around here... also looking forward to X Plane, and all the bench racing that goes along with it... my first overnight riding trip since Cody was born

Best: This crazy site we homebrewed awhile ago still lives on, and more importantly seems to attract real, genuine people, not really rock star showoffs, but people with Toyota payments and mortgages, who just want to get away for awhile without breaking the bank and focus on the basics of discovering things while they ride, whether it's on a "beater" or "new hotness" doesn't matter, and I think that's cool :unsure:

Also good to move north (though I still contract in SD, so I go there every couple months, last time to schmooze KTMRad's LC-4 and get it sandy with him :o ) where there's piles of dirt aplenty, an extra room if any of you head up to Southern Oregon to ride.

Worst: Watching the economic death spiral of a few friends, though my gigs seem to be holding out, really hurts to see the pain it causes decent people who were working their butts off to stay even with the Toyota payments and mortgages, who now are working their butts off to stay "only" a month or 2 late :(