Sign in to follow this  
hobiee

warner springs

Has anyone ever rode out in warner springs?? Rumor has it there is a pretty sweet waterfall out there somewhere along some fire roads and some pretty good single rack on the east side of palomar mt. I think it called barker valley falls or something?

Palomar Divide road goes up the backside of Palomar mountain and there is a HIKING trail that starts off of that road. There is no legal singletrack off of Palomar Divide road.

does the hiking trail lead to the waterfall? can you ride in and park at the trailhead?

does the hiking trail lead to the waterfall? can you ride in and park at the trailhead?

Yes, you can take the road up to the Barker Valley trailhead and hike down into Barker Valley. I took a truck up there back in the 90s and hiked down. It was a dry year though, and the creek didn't have any water running in it.

Here's a link:

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2008/ap.../barker-valley/

I hear there are trout in the creek (San Luis Rey river).

Also, an important note I forgot; if the weather has been stormy, rainy or snowy, be sure to check with the rangers station to see if the road is open or not. They like to close the forest and mountain roads after "bad" weather.

Yes, you can take the road up to the Barker Valley trailhead and hike down into Barker Valley. I took a truck up there back in the 90s and hiked down. It was a dry year though, and the creek didn't have any water running in it.

Here's a link:

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2008/ap.../barker-valley/

I hear there are trout in the creek (San Luis Rey river).

If the creek had no water in it how did the trout get there???????

just joking of course.

Hey would it be safe to park the bikes at the trailhead for the day to hike down to the falls?? locked up of course what would you think?

just joking of course.

Hey would it be safe to park the bikes at the trailhead for the day to hike down to the falls?? locked up of course what would you think?

Not too many people up there, so probably pretty safe. You could always chain them to the gate post, I suppose. They would have to have adventure passes on them.

I always worry any time I park a trail bike anywhere that it is going to be out of my sight for more than a little while....just my nature.

Here's a picture from Palomar Divide road, in the general area of the trail. We rode our dualsport bikes across the back of Palomar last August. The south end is paved, but gives way to dirt about a quarter or a third of the way up.

100_1057.jpg

just joking of course.

Not too many people up there, so probably pretty safe. You could always chain them to the gate post, I suppose. They would have to have adventure passes on them.

I always worry any time I park a trail bike anywhere that it is going to be out of my sight for more than a little while....just my nature.

Here's a picture from Palomar Divide road, in the general area of the trail. We rode our dualsport bikes across the back of Palomar last August. The south end is paved, but gives way to dirt about a quarter or a third of the way up.

100_1057.jpg

so is it worth the day to get down to the falls? it sounds like maybe taking the jeep up there and parking might be a better option? bike chained up alone doesn't usually turn out well if left unattended to long.

Hey by the way thanks for the reply's and the info

so is it worth the day to get down to the falls? it sounds like maybe taking the jeep up there and parking might be a better option? bike chained up alone doesn't usually turn out well if left unattended to long.

Hey by the way thanks for the reply's and the info

When we went, we didn't hike all the way down to the falls,partially because we figured there weren't any due to the dry conditions, and because it was pretty warm out that day. It is rugged down there in that valley. If the creek were running and you got an early start and you really like hiking and you have good hiking shoes, it'd be a good idea to drive a car up there and hike down in. Otherwise, you could always take a nice dualsort ride all the way across from Palomar Divide to where it turns into Highpoint truck trail and comes down near the RV resort on 79. It's about 28 miles from one end to the other.