Sign in to follow this  
dirt dame

The cost of having fun

Lately, I have noticed that I am not the only one who has more than one or two motorcycles. I love my bikes and I can't really put a price on the fun I have had and the places I have gotten to see, as well as the great people I have met while pursuing this sport. The average middle sized trail bike can cost close to 9 grand these days, which seems like a lot of money to lay on the line to do something you like, but it could be worse.

I was watching one of those "how it's made" shows last night on TV, and they featured a segment on how accordions are made. They appeared to be built in a very time consuming manner involving many steps of construction to get them to the point where they are ready to be played, and of course have jokes made about them. They don't seem to be a very cool or popular instrument, although I think that they are pretty cool. I wondered how much these big squeeze boxes cost, so I went on-line and checked 'em out. Turns out that basic ones go for about 3 or 4 hundred dollars, but the "good" ones start to get up to between 3 and 8 thousand bucks, and the top of the line modals can run as much as 45,000 dollars! :D Yow....no wonder, more people don't play 'em. I think I'll stick to my guitars and riding trail bikes. Motorcycles certainly yield a higher "cool" factor for the money. :)

My brass instruments, together, cost as much as a KTM. My piano was quite a bit cheaper, but still pretty expensive. A good bass, and amp costs a couple grand. Pool table was a good deal at $2000.

I think bikes are a good deal, after the initial investment. My wife gives me a hard time about my bikes, but one walk in her closet shuts her up pretty quickly... I RIDE all of my bikes; she doesn't even FIT in all her clothes... :D

uh... I've said too much :)

This is PAUL, signing off now :D

I RIDE all of my bikes; she doesn't even FIT in all her clothes... :D

uh... I've said too much :D

I don't quite fit all of my bikes, as I am a bit smaller than the machines were designed for, but I still like to wear one under my hiney any day that I can. (therefore, the bikes don't "make my butt look too big".) :)

yea but my ring dosen't require a weekly ROCKY MOUNTAIN purchase either

miss ozzy

yea but my ring dosen't require a weekly ROCKY MOUNTAIN purchase either

miss ozzy

:)

Chris; give her your password, but NEVER tell her about the secret handshake that allows entry to our monthly Sunday morning party (also known as "mountain biking" :D )

yea like my wife can ride her ring around the country

Just be glad she doesn't play a 45,000 dollar accordion.

I saw some post on another site where the guy worked out how much it costs to ride his dirt bike per hour. Counting gas costs, trucking out. Buying other bits and pieces, oil, levers, etc etc. It was some astronomical number. Just don't work out that math, you'll be happier riding if you don't know.

On the other hand, I could have not put money a retirement fund (trying to do the right thing) and gone and blown it on a another motorcycle this year. And then rode the piss out of the bike, sold it a year later and been better off with that investment than my current ones

I like to fish, too. I don't even want to think what I have put into rods, reels, lures, electronics and boats (and I have always had inexpensive boats) just to catch a bass or a crappie or something.... :D probably could have used all that money for a good down payment on a piece of real estate or a retirement fund or something. :) On the other hand, who wants to do nothing while they are young and then be too old to do the things they wanted to do when they were younger.

I like to fish, too. I don't even want to think what I have put into rods, reels, lures, electronics and boats (and I have always had inexpensive boats) just to catch a bass or a crappie or something.... :D probably could have used all that money for a good down payment on a piece of real estate or a retirement fund or something. :) On the other hand, who wants to do nothing while they are young and then be too old to do the things they wanted to do when they were younger.

excellent point... as all my past injuries start to catch up to me, I can at least look back at all the fun things that were happening while I got injured...

the whole retirement thing works backwards... as soon as you have enough money to really enjoy life, you don't have the body to enjoy life.

I have tried to strike a happy medium... it was looking really good til about 4 years ago, when all my "paper money" (investments) started drying up...

"real estate or retirement fund" - sounds better in theory than in practice... I am getting my property taxes reduced because my real estate is worth less than 4 years ago, and my retirement fund has just about kept even, with an 85% match rate

what do they say? hard work pays off later; laziness pays off right now

excellent point... as all my past injuries start to catch up to me, I can at least look back at all the fun things that were happening while I got injured...

I don't mind some hard work, if there's a balance of relaxation and playtime along with it, after all, that's what most of us work hard for. As for getting injured....well that's what you get for riding bikes instead of playing an expensive accordion. :P

"use an accordion, go to jail" :o I remember seeing a tee shirt with that printed on it somewhere a while back.

I like to fish, too. I don't even want to think what I have put into rods, reels, lures, electronics and boats (and I have always had inexpensive boats) just to catch a bass or a crappie or something.... :P probably could have used all that money for a good down payment on a piece of real estate or a retirement fund or something. :o On the other hand, who wants to do nothing while they are young and then be too old to do the things they wanted to do when they were younger.

the whole retirement thing works backwards... as soon as you have enough money to really enjoy life, you don't have the body to enjoy life.

I have tried to strike a happy medium... it was looking really good til about 4 years ago, when all my "paper money" (investments) started drying up...

"real estate or retirement fund" - sounds better in theory than in practice... I am getting my property taxes reduced because my real estate is worth less than 4 years ago, and my retirement fund has just about kept even, with an 85% match rate

wow, couldn't have said it better myself. I won't put snot into another 401K unless they are matching me. And Bob, I also just got my property tax lowered because like you my house isn't worth what we paid for it 4 years ago.

How is Bud doing through this mess? People should be drinking more, no?

I think brass is a good investment.

it must be nap time