Sign in to follow this  
Strega

Info on my new KTM 640

So I heard about 3-4 or similar stories on the 2001 KTM that I bought, so I decided to email the guys at Thunderworks and get the real story. Thunderworks is a company that does custom designed stuff, mostly for police and fire agencies, outfitting bikes, cars, trucks, etc, to meet their needs.

I went to their website and shot an email to a few random email addresses from their contact page, and hoped I'd hear something back.

(I bought the bike with on 442mi on the ODO)

My original email:

Hey there,

I just bought a KTM 640 that had been previously outfitted by Thunderworks, and I was just curious, if any, what the history of these bikes were.

Thanks!

Couple pics of the bike:

http://stregalicious.com/moto/misc/ktm640-01.jpg

http://stregalicious.com/moto/misc/ktm640-02.jpg

http://stregalicious.com/moto/misc/ktm640-03.jpg

About 5 minutes later, my cell phone rang, and on the other end was Don from Thunderworks. I was definitely shocked to get a call so quickly.

Anyway, long story short, Thunderworks wanted to make some Dual Sport bikes to sell to local police agencies, and they talked to KTM and they bought 43 of them in 2001. I think he said that they bought 43 because that's how many KTM 640's were imported in 2001. If that's the case, I feel pretty stoked about having only 1 of 43, and closer to 1 of 6 or 8 actually in civilian use.

So, after no further adieu:

thuderworks08.jpg

thuderworks00.jpg

thuderworks05.jpg

thuderworks10.jpg

Nice to have a rare bike... very cool.

ya get that fender painted yet?

Is the Pope Catholic? :rolleyes:

I feel pretty stoked about having only 1 of 43, and closer to 1 of 6 or 8 actually in civilian use.

Very cool to be able to track down the legacy/previous owner of your bike......I think you should hook up the Blue/Red lights again!! :huh::lol: ......so basically, you'll be doubling (minimum) the "as bought" mileage this coming weekend.....how cool is that? :rolleyes::D

Go here for the history of the 620/640 Adventure series (I now own serial number 8793.....one of the 22(?) 620 models imported in 98').....all previous owners have contacted me though ADVRider.....all said they should've kept the bike.....glad they didn't! :D

Roger - Have you "signed in"?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35110

I was going to mention that my local police in escondido have a few of them and then scrolled down and there they are. There is a motorcycle shop in escondido called MDR they deal in fab work for drag racing and everything else cycle related. Both his sons grew up in the cycle biz and now are escondido police officers and guess what they are riding. Those KTMs and having a blast. I mess with them every chance I get when they are on them. Christi 20 shop was next to MDR for years I know she knows whom I am talking about.

I was going to mention that my local police in escondido have a few of them and then scrolled down and there they are. There is a motorcycle shop in escondido called MDR they deal in fab work for drag racing and everything else cycle related. Both his sons grew up in the cycle biz and now are escondido police officers and guess what they are riding. Those KTMs and having a blast. I mess with them every chance I get when they are on them. Christi 20 shop was next to MDR for years I know she knows whom I am talking about.

OH yeah. That's right! I forgot about his son being a cop. We used to give him a hard time too. :rolleyes: Nice people though!