Sign in to follow this  
tntmo

Cooking a turkey, Hawaiian style

As my wife and I are planning our Thanksgiving in the desert, we noticed that the high prices of crude oil must have affected peanut oil prices too. I have seen places that want as much as $50 for the stuff! We usually do the turkey fryer deal and it turns out good but we want to try a buried turkey instead this year. Has anyone ever done it? I know the basic idea of digging a hole, making some good coals, laying down a rock bed, wrapping the turkey, etc but some tips would be helpful.

Where can you buy banana leaves around here?

Where can you buy banana leaves around here?

North Park Produce on Poway Rd. and Pomerado has em. Maybe not "all" the time, their stocking strategy is a little sketchy, but I've seen em there. That's going to be a good Turkey!!

ranch 99 market in clairemont will have them or some of the oriental markets along el cajon blvd or university ave around 54th st

I googled how to pit barbeque a turkey and got many goog ideas also go to the food network.com about brining lot of good ideas, good luck. I haven,t cooked a turkey in the oven in years I always either smoke,deepfry or pit cook one.

oz

I would consider wrapping a wet cloth between the layers of bananer leaves. Turkies don't have the fat of pork or beef, so I'd also be inclined to maybe inject something, like a little turkey broth to help keep it juicy.

It's a great idea, love to know how it goes.

This year, I decided to go the easy way with my turkey. I dropped it off at a really good BBQ place here in Oceanside. It'll be in thier smoker all night.....comes out moist with lots of flavor after 12 hours. I'll pick it up with a pint of thier BBQ sauce, and I'm ready for turkey sandwiches for at least a week. :rolleyes:

This year, I decided to go the easy way with my turkey. I dropped it off at a really good BBQ place here in Oceanside. It'll be in thier smoker all night.....comes out moist with lots of flavor after 12 hours. I'll pick it up with a pint of thier BBQ sauce, and I'm ready for turkey sandwiches for at least a week. :rolleyes:

Aww thats just cheatin,,,, but what a great idea. Where did you drop it? (not that I would ever do such a thing)

This year, I decided to go the easy way with my turkey. I dropped it off at a really good BBQ place here in Oceanside. It'll be in thier smoker all night.....comes out moist with lots of flavor after 12 hours. I'll pick it up with a pint of thier BBQ sauce, and I'm ready for turkey sandwiches for at least a week. <_<

Aww thats just cheatin,,,, but what a great idea. Where did you drop it? (not that I would ever do such a thing)

Lone star BBQ on Coast hwy. I've used the Wrangler BBQ pit a few times in the past with great results.

I got it home tonite....and I ate too much !!

Well, the turkey in the ground was an overwhelming success. It was a lot of work digging the hole and finding some good rocks but I just may do it again.

I stuffed the 15 pound turkey with apples, onions, giblets and walnuts sauteed in real butter which we mixed with bread and a few quartered potatoes. I lined the bottom of the hole I dug with rocks and started a fire about 10am. After two hours or so I dumped a bunch of charcoal in there too for good measure.

I layed out a big piece of aluminum foil on my motorhomes table and rubbed one side with butter, then wrapped the turkey with it. I put about three layers of foil on the turkey. Once the coals were going good, I put an inch or two of sand over it. I took an old blanket and wet it down and wrapped the turkey in it and placed it on the sand. I had pulled a few rocks out of the bottom and put them around the side and top of the turkey. We covered it completely in sand and went for a ride.

After six and a half hours we dug it up. It was really hot and smelled good, it was pretty well cooked but it didn't have the brown skin of a baked turkey so we squeezed it into the RV oven for about 30 minutes just to brown the skin. It was probably the most juicy turkey I've ever had. It was really cool cooking in the ground like that, I smelled a lot of turkeys frying this weekend but I'll bet very few were cooked this way. Join us next year for the bigger and better version!