6,500 acres south of the plaster plant is the proposed zone of the project

Notice of Informational Hearing and Public Site Visit and Bureau of Land Management Scoping Meeting for the Solar Two Power Project

On June 30, 2008, Stirling Energy Systems (SES) Solar Two, LLC (Applicant), submitted an Application for Certification (AFC) to the Energy Commission to construct a concentrated solar thermal power plant facility approximately 14 miles west of El Centro, in Imperial County. The project site is just south of Plaster City between the Union Pacific Railroad tracks and the Interstate 8 Highway. The Energy Commission has exclusive state-level jurisdiction to license this project and is considering the proposal under a twelve-month review process established by Public Resources Code section 25540.6. The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is conducting its own concurrent process to determine whether to approve an amendment to the 1980 California Desert Conservation Area Plan and a right-of-way grant authorizing the construction and operation of the proposed project on federal lands.

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that the Energy Commission has designated a Committee of two commissioners to conduct proceedings on the Application. The Committee has scheduled a public Informational Hearing and Site Visit to discuss the proposed Project and the BLM will conduct a Public Scoping Meeting as described below:

Monday, November 24, 2008

Public Informational/Scoping Meeting begins at 2:00 p.m.

Site Visit begins (bus leaves) at 3:30 p.m.

Imperial County Administration Center

Board Chambers

940 West Main Street, Suite 211

El Centro, California 92243

http://www.energy.ca.gov/sitingcases/solar...ices/index.html

That's the area between Even Hewes and I8. Not much there but flat land and cactus. If the solar energy is good for us ( I'm assuming it is), I think its OK. I'm not passionate either way, but seems like a reasonable place to do such a thing right? Maybe a better place would be the corrizo impact area where no one is allowed to go and there hasn't been bombs dropped since WWII.

The area between the Even Hewes & I-8 is part of the OHV area. You will be losing riding area, lot's of whoops over there.

I've ridden that area, it's got a lot of fun trails and some intersting items to find (old abandoned buildings, etc) I hate to lose any riding area.

I didn't know the area when I posted this, but I thought some of you might. It's hard to argue with a "green" public utility project. Looks like it'd be a good idea to get out there and enjoy the land while you still can.