Strega

BMW F650 Dakar

Well I am well aware of the fact it might just be me, my little bike is probably fine its just I don't have the knowledge, experience, or stamina to use it the way I want too. The bane of buying a new bike is I just owe too much on it to be able to get rid of it and try something else anyway.

I plan on losing the green sticker bike, but it needs a new chain and the sprockets are worn so I was thinking I need to do that first and find the paperwork

The F650GS Dakar is a awesome bike and may feel a bit heavy, depending on what you are coming from. The weight is slung low as the tank is under the seat. the cool thing with the 650gs is that you have a choice of two bikes (the standard F650GS and the Dakar). The Dakar has a 21" front and more travel, but with each you have a choice of about three seats, and w/adjusting the rebound, you can change the height a bit.

With a new front , either a new spring job or a complete front (Yamaha/WP/KTM/Touratech) and a new custom rear, you have a completely new bike. Drop a tooth and you have very low torque and still have a bike that will ride cross country, cross desert, do doubletrack in complete comfort, 2up and with kit/panniers.

It is a 60 road/ 40 dirt bike, but as close as you can get. Used you can get you and your chick one for under 8K and build the crap out of them for less than new, and still have a 100K engine.

just my .02 and yes, I am a bit partial. Nice ride, but definately not a skinnybike. But, I did just ride mine across country....

post-13493-1244401815_thumb.jpg

post-13493-1244401851_thumb.jpg

post-13493-1244402287_thumb.jpg

post-13493-1244402296_thumb.jpg

post-13493-1246422558.jpg

post-13493-1246422656.jpg

post-13493-1246422739.jpg

post-13493-1246422756_thumb.jpg

post-13493-1246422769.jpg

Ooooo. I like that last one. It's the right [lack of] color and looks like fun.

Ooooo. I like that last one. It's the right [lack of] color and looks like fun.

I bought a 2001 "Captain America" like the 1st one. Hated the color, so daughter and I came home, took it apart, heatgunned off the stickers, sanded our asses off, primed and flatblacked it. I drop it alot so it's easy to touch up with a spraycan. Awesome bike. GF liked it so much we went to LA to get here one and well, I got ahold of it.

2001 F650GS Dakar (stripped a Captain America - Hyperpro springs up front w/10w, Hyperpro rear, TT farkles, TKC's and Wolfman luggage and Rotopax) - My spare/son's bike. #BMW F650GS Dakar

post-13493-1245000007_thumb-L.jpg

2002 BMW F650 GSA (my girls silver GS....after I got ahold of it (swapped out my old Dakar suspension onto it) #BMW B650GS Dakar

i-R68gqm8-L.jpg

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar (my main bike (work in progress: YZ forks and front end, Wilbers rear, stripped the rear pegs and lightened the subframe, removed the CAT, HDB Hand guards/mirrors), some TT farkles, reinforced fender and rear led light. Wolfman luggage racks, bags and Rotopax) #BMW F650GS Dakar

IMG3600-L.jpg

So is that your black one with the swapped out forks? I met "notmybikemodelname" from adv rider who has the yamaha forks on his up with the dudes who ride every weekend in LA. Honestly its a damned impressive bike with those forks on there but as you said definitely not skinny

So is that your black one with the swapped out forks? I met "notmybikemodelname" from adv rider who has the yamaha forks on his up with the dudes who ride every weekend in LA. Honestly its a damned impressive bike with those forks on there but as you said definitely not skinny

The one above is mine, the stickerless one w/twin lights was inspiration for my conversion. I have one w/a KYB / Wilbers swap and then two (a Dakar and a GSA) with stock Showas w/Hyperpro springs front and rear. Saw NMBMN's bike too, awesome. I am still deciding how much I want to throw into the suspension. I just really like the lines of the Dakar (wish it had a lighter tubular frame though). The Black (twin light) one above is from ADV "Farkleface" and the hot red GSA conversion is from "NB" who is Mr. 650GS.

If BMW would get off their arses and bulld a Dakar or 650GSA w/a tubular frame, single exhaust, large underseat tank to make up where the exhaust weight / space was (800GS did this) and fully adjustable front and rear suspension, and the XChallenge rotax you'll have a killer 650ADV. Oh, and lighten up the headlight/guage assembly (way too much shite going on up there that us un-needed).

Bottom line-I love mine.

My two Dakars and my GF's: GSA. One is a spare for my son and friends.

IMG3551-L.jpg

IMG3553-L.jpg

2001 F650GS Dakar:

Stock handlebars w/rox risers

Hyperpro Progressive front springs

Stock rear w/Hyperpro Spring

Stock wheels w/TKC 80 Tires

Touratech chain guard

Pivot Pegs footpegs

Touratech Fairing and crankcase guard

Wolfman Luggage Rack, Expedition Dry Bags and Rotopax (1gal water/ 1gal gas)

GPS: Garmin Rino 120

2002 F650GS Adventure (Dakar Conversion)

BMW Light Blue

Dakar front w/hyperpro springs and Dakar 21"

Dakar rear w/Hyperpro spring

Touratech fairing and crankcase guards (not on yet)

BMW Handguards (not on yet)

Touratech fork guards

Giant Loop Coyote

BMW expandable side cases

2003 F650GS Dakar: Still a work in progress

Rattle can flat black

Front: KYB Yamaha 46mm shocks (Hyperpro rebuilt)

Rear: Wilbers 461Rear Shock w/Preload adjuster/resevoir

Excel 21" front/18" Rear

HDB Top Clamp w/handguards

Yamaha SM320mm front w/BMW Master (next)

Touratech crankcase and fairing guard (not on yet)

Giant Loop Coyote

May sell one or two later and get a 800GS or 800XC....who knows.

Except for the stickers.

:lol: Yeah, I know....tried all BLACK, but just need a bit of bling. Otherwise I would just have a Strega Dakar. Got them from Got2moto and not a bad job really, although they should be a bit thicker on the mil. Will prob only last a season anyway. Cool thing is, they're reflective and at $50 bucks a set I can repaint/replace them easily.

Might be selling the blue GSA at end of spring. GF wants a newer model F700GS. No hurry but for those looking, its a very well taken care of Dakar conversion. Still have the original GS front/rear and wheels as well.

IMG3550-L.jpg

New additions from pic are OEM Handguards, Touratech engine/fairing guards and TT rear chain guide. Excellent condition. Price probably around $4500 w/clear title and new tires/fluids.