Sign in to follow this  
Joliet

Maintenance party

I know there is a few things you want to do to your bike, but are a little hesitant to do it in the driveway on your own. I have a nice big shop here at work, we could work on 8 or 10 bikes at once. With our collective knowledge and experience we should be able to do about anything. DRZ guys have you locktited that front sprocket yet, checked for the proper valve shimming, or just been meaning to change the oil, disconnect the clutch or kickstand safety switches? Lets plan a day to do that. I suggest we pick a day a couple of weeks from now to give everyone time to pick up the parts they will need. I suggest a Saturday just in case we need to run to the local bike shop for parts.

I am in Vista off the 78 fwy. in between the 15 and the 5. I will supply the shop, fridge, coolers, ice, burgers, dogs, and I am sure I can roundup a BBQ grill some place(hint, hint). I will have water, softdrinks, and a limited supply of beer. I have a DRZ service manual and most of the tools I need to work on my bike. I am available most weekends. I am going to pitch Oct. 28th out there. Lets hear from you (Come on I know you have been wanting to rejet that carb.) I am open for suggestions, date changes, ect. Lets get our bike in peak condition for the season and get to know each other. Instead of thinking that guy drives like crap in the sand, you can think that Randy he is great with carbs, and he drives like crap in the sand. For those of you that type as slow as I do here is my cell number 760-224-1808 Ken Boyd

This could be the making of BBQ III.....

Is it possible to do a loop out to McCain Valley in the morning for a few hours of Trails riding then back to Vista for the tune up and maintenance party?

I only come with ideas, but count me in either way.

Great Idea Joliet!!

Jon

I was thinking we could go out Sunday to test our handywork. Are the trials two days long? Maybe we could go out there Sunday and see the finals (if thats how they work it). Where are they located? The last time I saw a trials competition

was in the early 70s(holy crap that must be a typo). I would be interested in watching them also. Ken

I was thinking we could go out Sunday to test our handywork. Are the trials two days long? Maybe we could go out there Sunday and see the finals (if thats how they work it). Where are they located? The last time I saw a trials competition

was in the early 70s(holy crap that must be a typo). I would be interested in watching them also. Ken

American Trials Association 28/29 Oct 2006 SDTR 2day, 2 points paying events - McCain Valley

Tightened my front sprocket when I swapped my chain. It was a tad loose. Is that a 31mm socket? I nudged it tighter with my 32mm (all I had close to that)

It is a 30mm(same as a 1 3/16). You are supposed to clean the splines good, put a few drops of red locktite on the splines of the nut(if you put it on the splines of the shaft, when you slide the nut on it pushes locktite onto the seal) torque the nut to 79.5 ft. lbs. Bend the lockwasher over one of the nut flats and let set over nite for the loctite to set up.

I havn't got much responce for the maintenance day yet. Maybe there are not many interested. So far I have put on my radiator guards, disconnected the clutch and kick stand safeties, thumper talk case savers, installed a clark tank, 14 tooth countersprocket, dual sport mirrors on the handlebars and a new gel seat.

I still want to install a manual cam chain tightner, check valve lash, and see what jets and settings my carb. is set at to inprove cold starting. Some time I would like to set up my suspension when I can get some expert help, and my rear cargo rack will show up anound the first of Nov.

Hopefully everyone that wants to come do some installs, or maintenance or just lend a hand to others will let me know so I can get a better idea of how many are interested. Ken

same here, maybe some maintenance, but if nothimg to to on my bike ,i am allways down to meet some fellow dualsporters and give a hand to someone else if i can.

keep me posted if this is gonna go down

jay-05klr650

Guest stevensyanora

sounds great...I could use a valve adjustment on my drz650 ;)

I just noticed that the Otay mountain cleanup is scheduled for the 28th also. I don't have a problem moving the maintanance day. I had planned on helping with the Otay cleanup. I think it is important to do what I can to help keep our riding areas clean and keep a positive image for the general public. I don't know how long the cleanup will last. I am open for suggestions or comments. We could do it after we finish the cleanup (I am about 55 miles from there), this weekend, or the weekend after the cleanup. Lets hear from you I want to know what you think. Ken

I just noticed that the Otay mountain cleanup is scheduled for the 28th also. I don't have a problem moving the maintanance day. I had planned on helping with the Otay cleanup. I think it is important to do what I can to help keep our riding areas clean and keep a positive image for the general public. I don't know how long the cleanup will last. I am open for suggestions or comments. We could do it after we finish the cleanup (I am about 55 miles from there), this weekend, or the weekend after the cleanup. Lets hear from you I want to know what you think. Ken

The BLM couldn't make that date. It's complicated. Short story is the 28th is available.

Great! I would like everyone who wants to come to let me know so I can get the food and drinks worked out. I would also like to know what kind of bike you are bringing and what you would like to get done on it. Anything speacial you are bringing such as a service manual for a ???. A special tool that others may not have, or things you may be able to share like left over shims for a valve shimming kit.

I will be working on my 2000 DRZ400S. I want to check valves and work on the carb. so it will start better, and install MCCT(manual cam chain tentioner). I will have a service manual for the S model DRZ. I will have Hand tools, air compressor, parts cleaner, impact wrenches, die grinder, dremmel tool, sawzall(don't laugh I just removed my helmet lock last nite it came out great). If you have something you are going to need, talk to me, I will see what I can do.

Ken Boyd cell760-224-1808

...I just removed my helmet lock last nite it came out great)...

Speaking of which, I don't have a key that fits mine so I can't get to the mount. I'd like to remove it as well.

I might be running up on another bike, but I am in at minimum to observe the valves, carb, and manual cam chain tensioner on a DRZ. Half of the job is knowing what you need to do the job and it would be a huge help just to see it get done.

is anyone on a klr planning to go to this?????(wondering) with any knollage of doing a DOOHICKY????? :huh:

You need special tools ,doo hicky, new bolt, gaskets maybe, ect...

Great step by step , how to link,, check it out....

http://klrworld.com/forums/index.php?topic=12.0

I'd wait for next EAGLEMIKE TECH DAY...they have everything you'll need..

You do the work, but mike and buddy are there helping every step of the way.

And all you pay for is parts..I think I did mine for about 65 bucks,and thats with hickey,new bolt, and new oil filter and oil..

Looks like the Tech Day will be at Julian on the 18th of November. Mike should eventually get around to updating Left Coast KLR Society

Keep checking this link...

http://www.leftcoastklrs.com/index.html .

HOPE YOURS DONT LOOK LIKE THIS.

Posted Image

Sweet deal thanx for info kawee,i allready have the doohichy and springs just need to get the gaskets,I am DEFF going to atend that tech day comming up next month, i missed the last one and was pissed that i did,do they have it at the same place all the time in jullian and were might that be :huh: ?. my klr just hit about 9300 miles and the motor has been louder than normal hopefully it is just the doohicky not that it is a good thing but i will feel much better once it is done. i have seen posts that after changing it motor sounds and runs much better .When did you change yours kawee miles wise and was it broken?Any other klr riders from this site plan on going to the next tech day on nov,18 let me know we could hook up and ride up together.

jay,05klr650

Sweet deal thanx for info kawee,,do they have it at the same place all the time in jullian and were might that be :huh: ?.

.When did you change yours kawee miles wise and was it broken

jay,05klr650

A JAY

Q; ,do they have it at the same place all the time in jullian and were might that be

A; Keep checking that web site, leftcoasters. ,they wiil post wheres its going to be

Q;.When did you change yours kawee miles wise and was it broken

A; I was in a group of four, mine was ok,at 4,400mi..two others were ok, but new 06's, like mine..low miliage.. and the one older bike had a broken spring,,

thanx for info, i find it very weird that two of the same year klr's one good doohicky one bad hmmm i dont get it man i know that it is a week part poorly made but Y do only some break and some break earllyer than others :blink::unsure: do you think its do to poor maintenece or not warming bike up propperly or the DEVIL :D you would think they would all break roughly around the same time ya know

O.k. guys the maintainance day is next Saturday, the time is 9am. I will be there at 8 so if you are early no big deal. I will have the pressure washer hooked up, even if there is no work you want to do you can at least give your bike the bath it has probably earned. You DRZ guys might be interested in looking at my latest modification. The stock battery in a DRZ is 85 cold cranking amps. With a little modification I installed a 190 cold cranking amp battery today. Total weight gain 1 lb. It will be a good chance to get to know your fellow riders better.

Sound off if you plan on making it. Here is the address:

1234 Keystone Way

Vista, CA 92081

From the 15 fwy: 78 west to Sycamore, South to Business Park Drive, Left and go through 5 lights, after 5th light take the next right on Keystone Way. 2nd driveway on right. Look for maroon boat with blue cover.

From 5 fwy: 78 east to Melrose, south to Sycamore, left to Business Park Drive,

Right and go through 5 lights, after 5th light turn right on Keystone Way. 2nd driveway on right. Look for maroon boat with blue cover.

760-224-1808

I know it's deadline time, but you still doing this? Just registered after lurking for a while. Not quite a real dual-sporter yet, but working on it, current dual-sport bike is learner (83 Yamaha XT550) as are my street skills. Would like to meet some other riders. If I would have been on the ball, the fork seals need replacing, might have been an opprotunity. Have the new seals, new fork oil and a parts diagram. Any way might try and follow up in the a.m. and see if anything is going on.