KTMrad

Monthly SDORC Meeting Tonight !

If you can, please attend....stay informed !!

I will be there.

San Diego Off-Road Coalition Update

October 31, 2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SDORC General Meeting Monday Nov 3, 2008 Start time 6:00PM

Our November general meeting will begin at 6:00PM to allow time for Stirling Energy Systems to present an update on the solar energy project near Plaster City, The meeting will begin with the Stirling presentation.

Please note that this meeting is on Monday because Tuesday is Election Day. Don't forget to vote!

For more information

Visit our General Meeting web page.

***********************************************************************************************************

Volunteers Needed!

We need volunteers to help us at our upcoming shows over the next two months.

November 14-15 Midnight Madness at Motoworld of El Cajon, El Cajon, CA

December 5-6 CORR Race - Chula Vista, CA Free admission to those who volunteer.

For more information e-mail events@sdorc.org

***********************************************************************************************************

4th Annual SDORC Lost Lizard Fun Run November 8, 2008

Don't forget to mark November 8th on your calendar for the 4th Annual

Lost Lizard Fun Run. We have some great prizes this year including a

Smittybilt winch, three Kenwood 2-way radios, an Aerial Sightseeing

tour, a helmet light kit, a hand made quilt, and many, many more

wonderful prizes. The kids raffle is back by popular demand, so bring

the whole family to enjoy the day.

Run Headquarters will again be across from the Blu-In on highway 78 and

the 25 mile route will take you through some of the less traveled areas

of Ocotillo Wells SVRA.

Entry forms are available at www.sdorc.org or email us at funrun@sdorc.org. See you on

the 8th!

For more information view the event flyer.

Dune Permits Available Through SDORC

SDORC is selling annual ISDRA Dune Permits this year. By purchasing your permit from SDORC you save $30.00 over the cost of purchasing the permit at the dunes. Permits will be available at our general meetings and any of the upcoming Off-Road Shows.

Nov 3, General Meeting

Nov 15-16 Midnight Madness in El Cajon, CA

Dec 5-6 CORR race in Chula Vista

Shop through the SDORC website and help OHV recreation!

Use SDORC for online shopping this Christmas! Just click on this link ( also available on the SDORC website) and shop! A percentage of each purchase will be sent to SDORC to help support us in our fight to keep public lands open for OHV recreation! Shop Online and Support SDORC!

The SDORC trailer needs your help!

Our trailer needs a make over including a new paint job. If you can help us fix up the trailer please contact us at: info@sdorc.org

I couldn't make it, did anybody go last night ?

If so, anything informative about the alternate energy projects in the desert ?

Thanks,

I didn't make the meeting.....but Duncan Hunter will have my vote tonight....

That's Duncan Hunter JR. :D Too bad SR. retired.

Yeah, since Brian Jones was knocked out early in the running, Duncan will have my vote also.

If so, anything informative about the alternate energy projects in the desert ?

Thanks,

Sterling wants to build a new 6,500 acre solar power plant. Location: directly south of Plaster City, that being across the road from Plaster City East and Plaster City West, all the way to the northern edge of I-8......eastern edge of Ocotillo all the way to the western edge of Dunaway Rd...... Dunaway Rd. will be their access and entrance road. Basically the whole entire area I have described here. It will be huge and they expect "other countries will come and marvel at it much like the Hoover Dam"

It is law that there be 20 percent renewable energy by 2010 but this is impossible. They think more like 2013. Supposed to add 160-200 permanent jobs in this area. Don't know where to get their water source yet, have the funding from private sources, not subsidized by the state or fed govt.....so they say.... but there are huge tax benefits of which they were very vague about. There will be added transmission lines that will run eastward 10 miles into El Centro for distribution.

These kinds of projects will dot our desert floors and fence it off as we have never seen in the past. It was informative and only a start of a long list of off road groups to warm up to with their presentations. The BLM has nothing to lose with this land lease providing them with positive cash flow coming into their greedy paws.

I see it as a modern day race to the 'gold rush' for these energy companies. They are very articulate in lobbying the right people to get their platform moved forward.

The SDORC is a great group of volunteers that work hard to keep our deserts accessible. Visit their website for some fun events coming up that help raise funds for their, our cause. Look at Randy's original post on the events.....they have dune passes too....oh yes, it is another fee to pay the bureaucrats to ride on our public land. Pass the word.....your thoughts,

Todd

Thanks for the info from the meeting Todd, sorry I couldn't meet you there last night.

I think we need to start a letter writing campaign, to ask the BLM to open up more land to replace the land we will be losing for riding !! Let's put some pressure on them. Then we can bombard them with K's "Closed to the Public " stickers.