Sign in to follow this  
PastaPilot

GPS Topo Maps

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/

I am currently downloading the California topo and Ibycus US street maps. Both files use Garmin's Mapsource program. The Topo is 911MB and the street map is 877MB. Click the save button and go to dinner, shower then go to bed cuz they are showing 11hrs and 14hrs to download.

You might get better dowload speeds than I am at this Marriott in Santa Fe, NM.

Let me know if the street version supports on the fly routing/navigation. :blink:

The Garmin Topo for example, is just an overlay essentially. No routing function. :blink:

I had to cancel the downloads until I can find a free version of Mapsource. I thought the file depot webiste directed me to one but it was only a link to an update.

Wasn't too bad, about 12 minutes for one download and 15 for the other when using my cable modem at home.

Haven't installed them yet though.

Wasn't too bad, about 12 minutes for one download and 15 for the other when using my cable modem at home.

Haven't installed them yet though.

they work great...took me about 10 mins to download

I had to cancel the downloads until I can find a free version of Mapsource. I thought the file depot webiste directed me to one but it was only a link to an update.

Hey HondaPilot,

Check this out http://freegeographytools.com/2007/garmin-mapsource-for-free

I did it, it worked, haven't hooked it up with the etrex as yet. It definitely allows a free install of MapSource.