RogerTOWM

Provocative ADVRider Thread....Topic Merged

Kevin, you can't teach and old dog new tricks. :)

Good point-Hopefull this dog is not deaf and blind, otherwise its time to go hunting :)

Guest Hammerin Hammon

The Africa Twin looks alot like your BMW. I think Honda paved the road for BMW and KTM.

have a nice night, Kevin :)

BMW has been making motorcycles since 1922. Honda started in the late 50's or early 60's. So who paved the road for whom! Craig, I have owned many Honda's and were great bikes. I assume you have not owned a BMW motorcycle, so you are not dealing from personal experience/facts. I have owned Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, ATK, and BMW. Out of all these, I beleive BMW makes the best/most reliable bike I have ever owned. Yes, they are expensive-but by the time you buy the other brands, and add on all of the aftermarked components, you could have just bought the BMW. Then when you sell it, the resale valuable is where you get your money back. For a fact, I added the BMW heated grips to my bike. These heated grips are so well engineered, the are installed into the factory wiring harness without the need of cutting wires, soldering, or using electrical tape. These heated grips even come with new handlbars-why-because they run the wire through the bars to keep them out of the way and for a clean, relaiable installation. Yes, this kit is $200, but when your are riding on the road and they work-eventually the cost is not important. Try that with the JC Whitney ones. You are welcome to take my GS for a ride, maybe you will see there is other options besides Honda-Its Pizza/Beer night-have fun

What is the weight of your 650 and the KLR. The heated grips would be nice, for snow boarding trips. I have read that the alternator, has enough juce for a heated jacket, might be nice for early morning surf sesions. Hey it's 5:06 gotta go to the beach, surfs up. ;)

Won't I look like a sissy, :D:) in Baja on a BMW. I guess not. Sissie's don't surf and they sure don't go to baja these days. :):)

Can you post some pictures of the back of your bike, with the panniers on. I have to be able to mount a surf -snow board rack to it or it's useless to me.

I will save my Honda for more technical-fast rideing. I need a plush bike for my wife, she loves to ride.

Thanks, Craig.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Boy, you guys almost had me. You almost tricked me into buying a street bike that looks like a dirt bike. My wife gave me the OK. to buy whatever. I was in OC. looking at a couple of big jobs. The money was burning a hole in my pocket. I had my wife, on the phone trying to find a BMW. shop in OC. so I could ride one home. Luckily we couldn't find a BMW. shop, useing Verizon 411, they were actually rude to my wife, telling her the weren't the internet and needed to know the city, state and the name of the shop. They kept conecting her to BMW. car dealers. :)

So we decided to head to San Diego in search of a dealer. Luckily we got stuck in trafic and it took 2 hours to get back to Carlsbad. During the 2 hour drive I realized how miserable I would be rideing a frilly street bike, and how much I really love my 650L (It does everything so well)

I can always add some frills to my unbeatable 650L. :)

Being a handyman with tons of tools I decided to make a new seat for my wife. :) Built it for 18.00 so I figure I saved about 10,000.00 today. ;) Now she sits a little higher and likes the view. :D I thought we should have made it a little wider. I probably shouldn't have told her that :) I am not woried about the heated grips,(I bought some neoprene gloves in Oregon for 10.00) Havn't needed them yet.

Craig.

post-465-1218339218_thumb.jpg

post-465-1218339237_thumb.jpg

Craig-I think you will like this-Check it out!

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Craig-I think you will like this-Check it out!

Thanks Kevin for the early morning :D:D

Have a great day,

Craig.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

We met and rode with SCHWINN today, great ride, except for when a guy on a harley in front of us dragged a peg in a tight corner, and almost went down right in front of us ( Why does everybody stop, or crash right in front of me) :D We left the groop, early to look at bikes. We liked the KTM. Adventure. It seemed light, but I realize it had no gas oil or battery. And then I read this.

What gives the 990 dirt-road cred? Check out its 21-inch front wheel, semi-knob Pirelli Scorpion tires and its full bash plate with no protruding plumbing. Of course, it’s understood that a bike this heavy has no business trying to hang with the XRs, KDXs, RMs and TTs, much lighter true dirt bikes, but the Adventure should be able to get you down and back any graded gravel road and most two-tracks..

I guess this is also not the right bike for me, Dang. :D

Craig.

. We liked the KTM. Adventure. It seemed light, but I realize it had no gas oil or battery. And then I read this.

What gives the 990 dirt-road cred? Check out its 21-inch front wheel, semi-knob Pirelli Scorpion tires and its full bash plate with no protruding plumbing. Of course, it’s understood that a bike this heavy has no business trying to hang with the XRs, KDXs, RMs and TTs, much lighter true dirt bikes, but the Adventure should be able to get you down and back any graded gravel road and most two-tracks..

I guess this is also not the right bike for me, Dang. :(

Craig.

Craig,

You should really watch what you read. :D Randy is taking the 950 adventure on the western TAT. A lot of that is single track. :D An adventure bike is not a 200 pound bike. But then again try riding a 200 pound bike on a 4,000 mile trip. A “real rider with skills” can ride a KTM adventure to any beach in Baja. If the bike intimidates you maybe you can get Randy to give you some tips on how to ride. Other wise you could take Ride-Orange and Carguys advanced dirt bike school. :D:D:P

Oh, another tip; when quoting someone you should put “quotes“ before and after the quote. Then use a foot note to say who the quote is from. Alternately just tell us where the quote came from, right before or after the quote. For an example check out my signature line.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

. We liked the KTM. Adventure. It seemed light, but I realize it had no gas oil or battery. And then I read this.

Craig.

Craig,

You should really watch what you read. :D Randy is taking the 950 adventure on the western TAT. A lot of that is single track. :D An adventure bike is not a 200 pound bike. But then again try riding a 200 pound bike on a 4,000 mile trip. A “real rider with skills” can ride a KTM adventure to any beach in Baja. If the bike intimidates you maybe you can get Randy to give you some tips on how to ride. Other wise you could take Ride-Orange and Carguys advanced dirt bike school. :D:D:P

Oh, another tip; when quoting someone you should put “quotes“ before and after the quote. Then use a foot note to say who the quote is from. Alternately just tell us where the quote came from, right before or after the quote. For an example check out my signature line.

Well Roger, for me it was better to mod. a bike that rocks, is inexpensive,and reliable, than to be held back by a bike that is more comfertable.

The KTM may be faster on the street, but my L is fast enough.

Craig.

. It also feels light, now I know why Randy just throws it all around the road. It's because he can! :D

Feels light? If I'm not mistaken, you ADDED 100lbs going from the KLR to the 990?

But from your signature, it looks like you got a Husky for a lighter trail bike. (although only 25-30lbs lighter than the KLR)

craig,

you should be very pleased that you found the right bike FOR YOU. every ds bike is a compromise , even yours. frilly street bikes riding the tat are a compromise and my DTs at corral is a compromise

the op was looking for opinions and he got them

Craig.

Craig,

Well Roger, for me it was better to mod. a bike that rocks, is inexpensive,and reliable, than to be held back by a bike that is more comfertable.

The KTM may be faster on the street, but my L is fast enough.

Craig.

I am not woried about the heated grips,(I bought some neoprene gloves in Oregon for 10.00) Havn't needed them yet. Craig.

Craig - Here's a link to a page with a few do-dads you can hang on your 650L in your quest to "adventure-ize" it.....like heated grips.....I've actually never bothered with heated grips on my Dual Sport bikes but I've always hardwired'em onto my various road bikes.....I have these same heated grip elements under the grips on my Superhawk.......cheap/easy ~$30 investment to keep the paws a tad bit warmer

Dual Star Honda XR Page

Guest Hammerin Hammon
. It also feels light, now I know why Randy just throws it all around the road. It's because he can! :D

Feels light? If I'm not mistaken, you ADDED 100lbs going from the KLR to the 990?

But from your signature, it looks like you got a Husky for a lighter trail bike. (although only 25-30lbs lighter than the KLR)

Great, points. I wanted to look at a KLR, yesterday also but they can't seem to keep them in the store. I was told I could leave a deposit, and wait, 2 months :D They are in such high demand I would pay full price.

On a good note, They told me I could buy 2 reliable KLR's for less than 1 KTM. 990:D Now that I like. :D

The KLR seems to be the bike of choice for TAT. :(

The KLR seems to be the bike of choice for TAT. :D

Hammer - You might want to go to KLR650.Net to get more info on the KLR650 and ask any questions in the KLR650 riders forum....does seem like a nice/affordable option.....and it even comes in your favorite color..... RED :D

Guest Hammerin Hammon

The KLR seems to be the bike of choice for TAT. :D

Hammer - You might want to go to KLR650.Net to get more info on the KLR650 and ask any questions in the KLR650 riders forum....does seem like a nice/affordable option.....and it even comes in your favorite color..... RED :D

Were can I pick 1 up today! In RED of coarse.

Thanks alot, Craig.

. It also feels light, now I know why Randy just throws it all around the road. It's because he can! :lol:

I think you might be confusing weights here. My research shows the 2008 KLR 650 weighing around 386 dry. It also has a 6.1 gallon fuel tank. This is model is heaver then the previous years.

The 08 KTM 990 Adventure weighs about 439 dry and has a 5.8 gallon tank. That is only about 53 pounds heaver then the 08 KLR. It holds a little less fuel, but carries the bulk of the fuel very low. The low center of gravity makes it feel and handle like a much lighter bike. :)

The Husky TE610 weighs around 310 pounds. That is about 76 pounds lighter then the 08 KLR. It only holds 3.3 gallons of gas.

The KTM is much faster and smoother then the KLR. It will be a better road bike then the KLR. Although it is heaver then the KLR I think it handles better off road as well. But that is subjective (I’m not that great off road). The 08 KLR handles well on the road and likes the twistyes. But it is not as powerful or smooth as the twin and like the KTM it needs a good rider to go on the single track.

The Husky TE610 weighs considerably less then the 08 KLR and is a much better performing bike. The TE610 doesn’t feel as planted on the road as the KLR. For long distance road riding I would pick the KLR over the Husky. The husky is just not as heavy and gets blown around more on road. Off road there is no comparison. Even I can ride the single tracks with the Husky. For the TAT, I would rather ride the Husky. Just have to add bags and a larger tank.

Guest Hammerin Hammon
. It also feels light, now I know why Randy just throws it all around the road. It's because he can! :lol:

I think you might be confusing weights here. My research shows the 2008 KLR 650 weighing around 386 dry. It also has a 6.1 gallon fuel tank. This is model is heaver then the previous years.

The 08 KTM 990 Adventure weighs about 439 dry and has a 5.8 gallon tank. That is only about 53 pounds heaver then the 08 KLR. It holds a little less fuel, but carries the bulk of the fuel very low. The low center of gravity makes it feel and handle like a much lighter bike. :)

The Husky TE610 weighs around 310 pounds. That is about 76 pounds lighter then the 08 KLR. It only holds 3.3 gallons of gas.

The KTM is much faster and smoother then the KLR. It will be a better road bike then the KLR. Although it is heaver then the KLR I think it handles better off road as well. But that is subjective (I’m not that great off road). The 08 KLR handles well on the road and likes the twistyes. But it is not as powerful or smooth as the twin and like the KTM it needs a good rider to go on the single track.

The Husky TE610 weighs considerably less then the 08 KLR and is a much better performing bike. The TE610 doesn’t feel as planted on the road as the KLR. For long distance road riding I would pick the KLR over the Husky. The husky is just not as heavy and gets blown around more on road. Off road there is no comparison. Even I can ride the single tracks with the Husky. For the TAT, I would rather ride the Husky. Just have to add bags and a larger tank.

Well, Its a good thing, I had tooooo much work to do today, and didn't have time to go buy a KLR. Now I am 100% sure I already own the WORLDS BEST BIKE, for the rideing I do. :):):D A KTM 990 may be WHATEVER faster on the street, but cost three times as much to maintain. two and a half times as much to buy,maybe more comfortable, but doesn't have a chance keeping up on a motto cross track or at anything remotely technical. Lets not get into dependability. :lol::D Or try to get parts for your 990 :lol::lol::D

Be carefull, your KLR. was already too fast for you.

One thing, nobody else will explaine to you is, you say you can't feel the weight (when you get stuck in a ditch, in the hills, one afternoon, by yourself) I tell you, you will feel the extra 100 pounds, and will have a nice walk. :lol::lol:

This thread is now closed, Craig.

Well, Its a good thing, I had tooooo much work to do today, and didn't have time to go buy a KLR. Now I am 100% sure I already own the WORLDS BEST BIKE, for the rideing I do. :lol::):D A KTM 990 may be WHATEVER faster on the street, but cost three times as much to maintain. two and a half times as much to buy,maybe more comfortable, but doesn't have a chance keeping up on a motto cross track or at anything remotely technical. Lets not get into dependability. :):D Or try to get parts for your 990 :lol::lol::D

Be carefull, your KLR. was already too fast for you.

One thing, nobody else will explaine to you is, you say you can't feel the weight (when you get stuck in a ditch, in the hills, one afternoon, by yourself) I tell you, you will feel the extra 100 pounds, and will have a nice walk. :lol::lol:

This thread is now closed, Craig.

Craig, The 07 KLR and before and the 08 and after KLR are 2 different bikes. They vary both weight wise and faring wise. The 08 is more street orientated and heavier. As for me, I don’t plan on taking the 990 on a motocross track. It’s an adventure bike not a MX. I wouldn’t take a KLR on a motocross track for the same reason. You keep getting confused on the role of an “Adventure Bike”. None of the bikes mentioned are MX bikes. Not even your Honda 650. Can these bikes go on a MX track? Sure with the right rider but why would anyone want to?

I don’t plan on taking the KTM 990 Adventure on hardcore single track. I plan on adventure riding with it. The KLR wasn’t to fast for me. It was too heavy for what I was doing with it with the skill level I had at the time. My wife didn’t like me riding it after that fall and I didn’t like buying the replacement fairings. They stick out way to much, break too easy and cost too much. I did not ride it anymore so I got rid of it. Did that mean it was a bad bike? No, it just wasn’t the bike I wanted to ride anymore. And getting parts for it took quite awhile at my local shop. I don’t know if it was the shop or what but it took a long time to get parts in. I also didn’t like paying “Harley Prices” for the replacement parts. The 07 and before KLR is better for the dirt for that very reason as well as it’s lighter weight.

The KLR is a much better Adventure bike then your present Honda. It would be much more comfortable for your wife and would carry your stuff better. But it is not a MX bike and I don’t know of anyone who claims it is an MX bike. If you really want to go “adventure riding” with your wife, do her a favor and get a more comfortable bike then the Honda. Doesn’t she deserve a nice ride? It sounds like she wants to do some true adventure riding to far off places. It also looks like she takes care of you, why not take care of her?

The 990 Adventure is not just faster on the street it is faster off road as well. It doesn’t have a switch that says “off road we go slowly now”. That switch needs to be the riders right hand. As for ditches, I hope to stay out of them. It is amazing what you can do with levers, ropes and straps. I’m sure I can use some of my 4 wheeling techniques to recover a bike as well as a jeep. The best way to get out of trouble is to stay out of it to begin with. :lol::)

Guest Hammerin Hammon

MX anyone?

And he was second to last, Doug :lol::)

This morning, when I got out of the water 2 guys told me their surf board was beter, I :lol::lol:

This thread is dead. Ia'm off to work. SEE YA, craig. :lol:

[

And he was second to last, Doug :lol::)

This morning, when I got out of the water 2 guys told me their surf board was beter, I :):lol:

This thread is dead. Ia'm off to work. SEE YA, craig. :lol:

Hey Doug help me out here, I keep looking for the Honda 650L in that video clip, but I can’t find it. All I see is the KTM jumping further then anyone else and a whole slew of bikes behind it. :lol: Where is the Honda 650L? :lol:

Now I’ve never raced MX. I’ve never wanted to race MX. To me it’s sort of like surfing, going round and round on the same track or beach…boring...! So where is the Honda 650L and how does having all those bikes behind you make you 2nd to last? Again where is the Honda 650L? :lol:

Guest Hammerin Hammon

[

And he was second to last, Doug :lol::D

This morning, when I got out of the water 2 guys told me their surf board was beter, I :lol::lol:

This thread is dead. Ia'm off to work. SEE YA, craig. ;)

Hey Doug help me out here, I keep looking for the Honda 650L in that video clip, but I can’t find it. All I see is the KTM jumping further then anyone else and a whole slew of bikes behind it. :lol: Where is the Honda 650L? :P

Now I’ve never raced MX. I’ve never wanted to race MX. To me it’s sort of like surfing, going round and round on the same track or beach…boring...! So where is the Honda 650L and how does having all those bikes behind you make you 2nd to last? Again where is the Honda 650L? :P

Ok. Roger bring that Orange POS. to carlsbad. I want to take you for a little ride. Remember to bring your Visa, because the rescue, helicopter doesn't take anything else. :lol::lol::D

post-465-1218645433_thumb.jpg

post-465-1218645473_thumb.jpg

Ok. Roger bring that Orange POS. to carlsbad. I want to take you for a little ride. Remember to bring your Visa, because the rescue, helicopter doesn't take anything else. :lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Ok. Roger bring that Orange POS. to carlsbad. I want to take you for a little ride. Remember to bring your Visa, because the rescue, helicopter doesn't take anything else. :lol::lol::lol:

HEY! I resemble that remark! :lol:

:lol:

And he wouldn't take Visa... CASH!

we're coming up on the 2 year anniversary of that little adventure... has anybody else seen me in trouble? I think I've ridden enough stuff with the SDAR guys, that I can say... I was hot, and exhausted from lifting the bike out of the ditch... The DG was loose, and my bike was running about 80%... I doubt the Vista stuff is harder than that section I was on... In hindsight, and without the recent memory of heat stroke, I would've tried to ride it out a different day... throw a paddle on the thing, change the plug, and bring a ton of rope, and just get it out...

By no means should you guys stop giving me $#!+ about it, but really... it was the roughest day I've ever had on a bike... in 30+ years

Hopefully, SDAR doesn't ever need a chopper again

Hammer,

You shouldn’t be putting graffiti on the rocks! You can get arrested for that. :lol: Please don’t mark up nature anymore. (Craig, remember what I do for a living?)

Carlsbad is a little far from East County. Anyway if you want to learn to ride the big bikes on the dirt you need to talk to Randy when he gets back. Or see Rob and John. I don’t teach dirt bike riding. I’ve only been riding for less then a year on the dirt. We have guys way more qualified to teach you how to ride then me. I do appreciate the compliment though. :lol: