Guest Hammerin Hammon

Ensenada surf trip, ride-surf-party

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Winter swells, will soon be here. We are planning a bike trip to ensenada. We will stay, in hotels on the main drag, in Ensenada, close to the fish market, so it is a short walk, to get on the boat, to surf Todos. I want to spend 1 day at Todos, and 1 day at another surf spot that gets North swells.

I will watch the surf, reports and post a departure date, when a good swell, is in our window. Here are some pictures of Ensenada, and were we probably will stay (we liked this hotel and jacuzzi) and 1 picture of a 60' wave at Todos

This wave is huge, we are going to try to look for a swell, that will produce a 8'-12' face (Todos is usually twice as big as the waves, in Ensenada.)

Who else is in on this awesome Adventure.

So far (Hammer, Steve Mc'kellar, REX Everything)

Craig.

post-465-1221187954_thumb.jpg

post-465-1221187991_thumb.jpg

post-465-1221188017_thumb.jpg

post-465-1221188052_thumb.jpg

post-465-1221188125_thumb.jpg

post-465-1221188170_thumb.jpg

post-465-1221188212_thumb.jpg

SMHbigsurfSCOTT2_1_.bmp

Craig that wave is frightening. Are you sure that is Baja and not Hawaii? You’re not serious about surfing something like that are you? I wouldn’t mind riding down, eating good food and drinking a few on the beach. But after seeing that photo I think I’ll stay home and hide under the bed. ;)

I saw some waves in Oregon I thought you might like but nothing like that! I’ll try and post some photos later (assuming the camera caught them all right).

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Here are the spots I want to surf, that are close to Ensenada.

San Diego Surfing Home > Baja Surf Guide > Todos Santos

Todos Santos Surf Guide

The main wave off of the islands of Todos Santos is called Killers for a reason. This is an experts-only wave that gets absolutely monstrous in the wintertime. Bring the biggest board you have because you are going to need every inch of it when it is on. Brad Gerlach recently won the Billabong XXL competition (and $68,000) after getting towed into a 68 foot beast earlier this year. You will need to hire a boat driver in the harbor at Ensenada to get out there. It used to cost about 10 to 15 dollars per person, but with the rising popularity of big wave surfing these days plan on paying more. If you get out there and find yourself chickening out of the big stuff, the aptly named surf spot Chickens and Thor’s Hammer are both options that are usually much smaller than Killers

Erindera Surf Guide

78 kilometers south of Ensenada on Highway 1 is the turnoff for the sleepy fishing village of Erindera. A fairly well maintained paved road takes you the remaining 26 kilometers into town. The main road takes you right to the water, and you can head north to the point from there. Once you get to the other side of the point there are a variety of reef and beach breaks until you get to Punta Cabra. This area is open to everything from a southwest to a northwest swell and is pretty consistent. Good for intermediate surfers and up.

Salsipuedes Surf Guide

Salsipuedes is a great surfing and camping destination in the middle of an amazing stretch of pristine, unspoiled Baja coastline. Salsipuedes is actually a small point that juts out, creating two completely different surf spots. The north side of the point has a reef break that can get fun on a north-northwest swell and produce a shifty peak. The wave is fun for surfers at the intermediate level and up. The kelp beds just outside of the break keep the bay fairly clean and glassy here when the north wind kicks up. There are some rocky spots on the inside, so use caution when the tide is medium/low. On the south side of the point is a heavy righthand pointbreak that needs a huge north/northwest swell in order to break. This wave is for advanced surfers only and will normally require a bigger board to be surfed. It rarely breaks here, but when it does it is impressive. Salsipuedes is actually on private land which makes parking your car and camping here safe and secure. If you want to park for the day it will cost $5, camping is $8 per night and if you want a cabin they will run $35 per night. To get to Salsipuedes, take the toll road south from Tijuana for roughly an hour until you see the signs. It is a clearly marked exit from the toll road. This is perhaps one of the few spots between Rosarito and Ensenada where you might consider bringing a 4 wheel drive vehicle, especially in the winter. The dirt road can get to be impassible after a heavy rain.

San Miquel Surf Guide

Located just a few kilometers north of Ensenada, San Miguel is an amazing right hand point break. When it is firing, San Miguel is a fast, lined up, hollow wave that serves up tube rides and long perfect walls for aggressive shortboard surfing. This is without a doubt one of the best righthanders on the West coast. Because of easy access and visibility from the toll road, San Miguel is often crowded and has some heavy locals that are not the most welcoming bunch. Be respectful when you are out there. The bottom is rocky and full of urchins, so booties are definitely recommended. At low tide the rock walk can get really painful if you just have bare feet. You can camp on the beach for a fee or rent a trailer just up the beach. Be wary of leaving your gear in the open if you choose to camp. Surfboard and wetsuit theft has been a problem in this area for while now.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I did a little homework, for this EXTREME ADVENTURE, this weekend. So much for the ponga, Found this KILLER boat for the trip

$400.00 for the day :blink:

post-465-1223868766_thumb.jpg

post-465-1223868840_thumb.jpg

post-465-1223868876_thumb.jpg

post-465-1223868904_thumb.jpg

post-465-1223868942_thumb.jpg

post-465-1223868991_thumb.jpg

post-465-1223869021_thumb.jpg

Guest Hammerin Hammon

The surf forcast below should produce 10' faces at Todos Santos. The window for this Adventure is near. I will keep you posted.

Craig

Beyond that, a larger and longer period NW groundswell (290+300+) is expected to move in by the end of the workweek. This swell is being whipped up right now by a storm centered under the Aluetians. That low is due to deepen as it moves into the Alaskan Gulf. IF the system follows its forecasts, it will push a relatively solid groundswell into well exposed breaks (possibly in the shoulder-head high range), on Friday and Saturday. It also looks like we’ll have a decent run of SW/SSW swell during that time and possible clean morning conditions. A few things obviously have to fall into place in the next few days, but if they do, then we'll see much a nice run of combo swell then. Stay tuned.

Back in the 70s we took Shawn Thompson, Gerry Lopez, Rabbit and another guy who was a famous knee boarder to that island. I think it was surfer magazine that went with us, I forget the guys name that was taking water shots, he was nuts... We sat on the outside egde of that wave and watched in awe, as the back side was insane.

Years later, like 5 years ago, the PACIFIC DAWN took jet skis and the guys from REEF (I think) out to CORTEZ BANK. Now, that place breaks and breaks huge, with a thundering pounding roar white with seafoam. you can see it on your radar from 25 miles away.

I would be interested in a bike/surf trip. Todos Santos sounds a bit extreme to me. I like Punta Cabras. Nice sandy beach, friendly campers, great rip currrent to pull you out, not too crowded. I surf 7.5-9.5 ft boards.

I would need to come up with a way to carry my board on my ktm990. Or we could trailer some dirt bikes down behind my truck.

steve

I would be interested in a bike/surf trip. Todos Santos sounds a bit extreme to me. I like Punta Cabras. Nice sandy beach, friendly campers, great rip currrent to pull you out, not too crowded. I surf 7.5-9.5 ft boards.

I would need to come up with a way to carry my board on my ktm990. Or we could trailer some dirt bikes down behind my truck.

steve

I think Hammer might have been banned from SDAR. He'd probably still be happy to have you along on his surf trips, but I don't know how you'd get a hold of him.

Even though he was banned for irritating a lot of people on this board with his online personality, I've heard he's not that bad of a guy in person.

Hammer, good luck with Santos...it's way over my head :rolleyes: I still have PTSD from being stuck outside on a 12 foot day. If I remember correctly, some guy from Carlsbad won the paddle in competition at Santos on a 53 foot face 6 years ago?

Have fun!

Hammer, good luck with Santos...it's way over my head :rolleyes: I still have PTSD from being stuck outside on a 12 foot day. If I remember correctly, some guy from Carlsbad won the paddle in competition at Santos on a 53 foot face 6 years ago?

Have fun!

He was from Oceanside! Mike Parsons

OK. Good to know that Hammer is probably gone. I saw a thread from him a few months ago it was a bit ....uhmmm...agressive.

steve

Hammer, good luck with Santos...it's way over my head :ph34r: I still have PTSD from being stuck outside on a 12 foot day. If I remember correctly, some guy from Carlsbad won the paddle in competition at Santos on a 53 foot face 6 years ago?

Have fun!

He was from Oceanside! Mike Parsons

That was Taylor Knox from Carlsbad....... I still have the news clip/picture on my garage fridge.

Sorry my bad!

Ron