Sign in to follow this  
dirt dame

Mostly Street 09/01/08

I just couldn't see getting up at O dark:30 to ride Corral Canyon this morning. I was still tucked in bed while Bikeslut and his crew were kicking up the dust (literally) out at CC. I had a leisure morning before I wandered down the road on the TE around 10:00. It was a pretty cool morning for September, but then again, this whole weekend has been sort of out of the ordinary for temps and weather. :D Lucky me.

So I headed for Julian, which as usual, was full of touristy folks. I gassed up there at the way too expensive gas station and motored out to Sunrise Highway. I was hoping that Deer Park road would have the gates opened, and I wasn't disappointed. I rode on through to Pine Valley where I bought some refreshment and a new adventure pass, since my old one was missing and besides, it had expired the day before. I thought about putting over to Corral Canyon to see if any of the guys were still there, but by this time it was after noon, so from there, it was east on I-8 to Kitchen Creek Road and Cibbett Flats campground, then up Cameron Truck Trail to Thing Valley Road and back onto the Sunrise Highway. I stopped by Roostingu's place on the way home to get a first report and view pictures of the CC ride.

The TE surprised me. Usually, it gets about 70 miles before having to go on reserve, but today, with all the street miles and easy trails, I managed to go about 100 miles without hitting reserve. That's some good mileage indeed. I guess the accelerator pump didn't get goosed very much in all this easy riding which totaled about 180 miles for the day. :) The bike also surprised me, that I was able to ride it all day in relative comfort on the pavement. It has either gotten smoother after it got broken in, or I got less sensitive to it's vibration and hard saddle. :)

Anyway, it's good to see Deer Park road open finally. There was evidence that it rained quite hard there, probably on Saturday. What's it been....like three years or something that the gates have been closed?

So there's my report. Another not so exciting story about a good ride. I am waiting for cooler weather and later starting times on a club ride. I'm also waiting for more rain and red sticker season. :unsure:

100 miiles, pretty good, but I think there are those, that could do that easily and on the back tire so the front would last longer. :unsure:

If they were wheelying, they would probably get more than 100 miles before hitting reserve, because all the gas would flow to the back of the fuel cell. But on the other hand. all that throttle control might cause the accelerator pump to activate more often, thus reducing gas mileage. :):D

speaking of which... Jeff rode a nice wheelie up trail 2 when I was right behind him... he's no SCHWINN, but then again... who is?

That's when you wish I had the video camera... good form, without being gaudy and over the top

I might have snuck a wheelie in somewhere on my ride. You never will know. :D:unsure:

I had a wheelie on our trip too, but it didnt end so well ;)

In the past three weeks, I've had front row seats to yours, Fake Name's, and Shock's...

I could begin to like this "sweep" thing ;)

(and yours ended up better than at least ONE of the others... no names, but it rhymes with bake dame