Sign in to follow this  
Tree

Thanksgiving in Baja

Myself and my buddies Javier and Hugo are thinking about doing a four day trip through baja. start in Tecate. Head down the coast and cross over to the bay side through san filipe and back up. I'll post more on each days stopping points as we finalize them. Who's interested in going?

Myself and my buddies Javier and Hugo are thinking about doing a four day trip through baja. start in Tecate. Head down the coast and cross over to the bay side through san filipe and back up. I'll post more on each days stopping points as we finalize them. Who's interested in going?

Normally I'd be all over this trip......but I'm planning on riding in the 25th annual LA-B-V ride again this year....nice to know I have a fun/alternate option if I bail on that ride.....

So many things to do, So little time!!!

I have always wanted to ride LA-B-V, but then again I have always wanted to race Day in the Dirt.

And now you throw BAJA out there! What to do? All those on the same weekend.

Keep us all posted on the trip. You never know what I will do.

Sure, I'll join ya Tree!!!

Then when I get home I'll sell everything I own to pay for the divorce attorney :)

Sure, I'll join ya Tree!!!

Then when I get home I'll sell everything I own to pay for the divorce attorney :)

Come on Rob who wears the pants? Just do the turkey thing the weekend before and you're good to go.

The preliminary route/plan right now is to leave from Tecate Thursday morning. Go Compadre trail through ojos hit some of the baja course that will take us to Erendira on the coast to camalu (Day 1). Wake up head inland to Catavina (Day 2). Cross over to the bay side coast coco's corner, Puertecitos, and San Felipe (Day 3). Back to Tecate through laguna Hanson (Day 4). It will be alot of miles traveled each day with a mixture of dirt and street. There won't be many difficult section (but there will be a few) as we are trying to cover alot of ground and take in the surrondings (stop for Pics, meals, etc) and enjoy Baja. I'd really rather leave Weds morning to give us extra time and a day to recover at home but it depends on everyones schedules. I still need to line up a chase truck also. :)

Its gonna take some mighty fancy schmoozin with the gf to get this one past but I'm all in!

Just gotta watch out for those dang branches this time!

We've also been kicking around the idea of reducing this to a 3 day ride and staying on the west coast. That way everyone can spend t-day with the family then head out friday morning and back Sunday. If that sounds more doable for most let me know.

We've also been kicking around the idea of reducing this to a 3 day ride and staying on the west coast. That way everyone can spend t-day with the family then head out friday morning and back Sunday. If that sounds more doable for most let me know.

I'd like to try and make it. The day after Thanksgiving is definitely easier to swing for me.

P.S. I might have met your friend Hugo at the gas station in Tecate. Does he ride a plated 650R and his last name starts with the letter "C"?

So, Tree, do you mind a chick along? I never assume and I am not offended (usually) if it's a guy thing. :)

But, you at least know how I ride.

If I can swing it, I wouldn't mind leaving on thursday either. Or even better, coming back (crossing the boarder) on Monday morning instead of Sunday night.

I don't mind having a chick along. Yeah I've seen you ride, you won't slow us down but we may slow you down. :wub: We're still kicking around ideas for the start day and end day. I wouldn't mind coming back on Monday just need to put a vacation day on the calendar at work. But really what ever works for the group the best. I haven't had a lot of response to it with the exception of yourself, John, and Gene. It is still 3 months away but with this type of trip some advanced planning is needed.

Leaving Friday Morning would definitely be better for me. I would also prefer to have a three day trip and come back Sunday but if the group would like to stay the extra day I'll find a way to get it off.

Either way I'm stoked its gonna be a great trip!

The plan is to leave Friday early Am (6:30-7:00 ish) and come back on Monday after the holiday. This will make the trip more enjoyable, less rushed, and avoid all the holiday traffic coming back on Sunday. :D

friday would be much better for me too, :D we see if is necesary stay all 4 days all depent how far down we going to hit.remember november are shot days and cool, is up to you guys... :D

OK this is the game plan- (Day1) Meet Friday morning 6:30am at the Tecate border. Cross border by 7am head through town hit dirt to compadre trail to ojos (get gas). Take dirt trail to Erendia check out the sites and local area stay the night. (Day 2) Ride the coast through Camalu to San Quintin check out the area stay the night. (Day 3) ride dirt trails mostly to Mike's Sky Ranch stay for the night. (Day 4) head back home. dirt trail out of Mikes then some hwy miles to compadre trail and back to Tecate. Plans can change depending on how the bikes and riders are holding up and the miles covered each day.

This should be at a moderate pace. We're not trying to make it at race speeds but depending on trail time or breakdowns we may have to pick up pace at times or be prepared to camp the night. There should be alot of dirt roads except the long streach of highway coming back from Mikes. I'll be pluging my GPS with the route within the next week so I'll have more info on milege and gas stops coming up. Right now we have 3 confirmed. (myself, Javi, John). There were 6 others that I talked with on and off the board that either said yes or maybe but not confirmed were Hugo, Matt, Hugo jr, Christi, Gene, Mike. Not sure on a chase truck may be just bikes.

Take dirt trail to Erendia check out the sites and local area stay the night.

Where in Erindira do you stay the night?

(Day 2) Ride the coast through Camalu to San Quintin check out the area stay the night.

I love San Quintin! (Day 3) ride dirt trails mostly to Mike's Sky Ranch stay for the night.

or be prepared to camp the night.

Whaaaaa B) ? I camp at hotels. :D

I am hoping to go. Sounds like a decent route. It's either this or "Day in the Dirt". I would much rather spend four days in Baja than race with celebrities.

I should know more by the end of October.

Pleae keep us posted. B)

Here's a list of stuff I'll be taking in my pack/strapped to the bike to give an idea of what you should have

Nut's & Bolt

2 feet of electrical wire

Electrical connectors & tape

Motorcycle registration

Zip Ties

.32 aviation grade safety wire (about 3 feet)

2 master links and a chunk of chain

Heat shrinkable tubing

Tire iron

WD 40 (it lubricates, displaces water and best of all, it helps you during a tire change)

Camelback bit tip (bushes like to steal them when you are riding)

Wrenches (8, 10, 12, 13, 14, & 17)

Cresent wrench

Allen keys

Plug wrench

Pliers

Bottle opener (must have )

Small ratchet and sockets

MSR type screwdriver (it has a phillips head and straight blade as well as a tire iron)

two tire irons

tow strap

Medical kit (Don't forget the toilet paper)

Water bottle/bladder

Inner Tubes

Air pump and co2 canisters

Space blanket

waterproof matches

Power bars

Small tent

GPS

cell phone

I'll add anything else that I come up with.

Here's a list of stuff I'll be taking in my pack/strapped to the bike to give an idea of what you should have

Nut's & Bolt

Motorcycle registration

Zip Ties

Heat shrinkable tubing

Tire iron

WD 40 (it lubricates, displaces water and best of all, it helps you during a tire change)

Cresent wrench

Allen keys

Plug wrench

Pliers

MSR type screwdriver (it has a phillips head and straight blade as well as a tire iron)

two tire irons

tow strap

Water bottle/bladder

Inner Tubes

Space blanket

waterproof matches

Power bars

Small tent

GPS

cell phone

I'm sorry about that, Im still learning how do post, :lol: I ask Hugo and Hugo jr to enjoy this ride but they going to le me know sometime this week,,,

Nut's & Bolt

Motorcycle registration

Zip Ties

Heat shrinkable tubing

Tire iron

Cresent wrench

Allen keys

Plug wrench

Pliers

two tire irons

tow strap

Water bottle/bladder

Inner Tubes

Space blanket

waterproof matches

Power bars

Small tent

GPS

cell phone

Sounds good Tree.I think im definetly in.I have from Friday till Monday off.Have you been able to find a chase truck yet.Alright i will be waiting to see the route so i can plan accordingly for fuel. :blink:

I think I have the route planned. I put it in my GPS using waypoints and not someone's existing route so it shows a strait line to each way point without acounting for the trail turns. The GPS says 407 so with variation of the roads I'm estimating 450. 1st night in erendia (coyote cals) 2nd night in San Quintin (Old mill) 3rd night Mikes. Last day home. Should be about 70 Mi between major gas stops but can probablly find milk jug stops sooner. :ph34r: Will need estimates on number of riders to book the hostel/hotel. Right now it only looks like myself, Javi, and maybe mkccmc as everyone else seems to be bailing. Looks to be a bikes only ride with no chase truck.

2nd night in San Quintin (where??)

I'm committed to LA-B-V.......though your trip sounds like a blast to me......

I stayed at the Old Mill when I rode from Mikes over to San Quintin.....thought it was a decent place......ate at some really nice restaurant nearby but I'm clueless as to the name.........unfortunately I don't have tracks to share, that trip was pre-Garmin for me (~6 years ago).....whatever tracks I had were on my old Magellan and they're long gone now....

I did post a bunch of Baja Waypoints in GPS stuff some time ago (including Mike's, Old Mill, Various Pemex locations, etc.......just look at the various points on a map and cull down the list to those waypoints along your route): http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2423

Lame WebSite for Old Mill: http://www.angelfire.com/me2/oldmill/oldmill1.html

Reviews of Old Mill: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g4...California.html

Tree,

Was wondering if you got the route all worked out.Jon justed called and said he still might be able to make it but it depends on the route.Alright let me as soon as you can?

Matt

812v (D-38)

756 (BITD)

Tree,

Was wondering if you got the route all worked out.Jon justed called and said he still might be able to make it but it depends on the route.Alright let me as soon as you can?

Matt

812v (D-38)

756 (BITD)

Route is pretty much set see the previous post. John is thinking he needs to get home on Sunday so he could go up Mex1 from san quintin to uruapan back through tres hermanos, ojos, compadre trail back to tecate. He would miss the final night at Mikes but it's doable and makes for a long ride back. Give me a call and let me know. Plus, with the time change I'm thinking about an earlier start. meeting at the border at 6am. Looking forward to some seafood and drinks in San Quintin (companchana, lobster, fish tacos) should be a great time.