paulmbowers

Radios and bike-to-bike com systems

Sounds like I'm going to need some geek-help from you guys- I can't see to hit any repeaters from anywhere. Home is in Mission Hills, so it's a stretch to Otay, probably the closest.

Suggestions?

fn

I can hit the a couple of the Otay repeaters from high ground in San Marcos. It sounds like you're not setting the radio up correctly. Repeaters receive on one frequency and transmit on the other. That way they can listen to you and rebroadcast at the same time. On the 2-meter band, they typically offset by 600 kHz either up or down (indicated by a + or -).

Check out this map:

SD2m.gif

Lets say you want to hit the first repeater on the Mt. Otay (146.640 - 107.2). It transmits on (you receive on) 146.640. It receives on (you transmit on) 600 kHz less than (indicated by the '-') that or 146.040. It also requires a PL (sub audible) tone of 107.2 Hz to activate the repeater. There are three pieces of information you need to program in to the radio. Frequency, offset, and in this case PL tone. Go into VFO mode (press the VFO button). Punch in YOUR receive frequency (on the VX-170 hit 4 6 6 4 0, you don't put the leading 1). You'll notice up top on the screen there is a '-' symbol. The radio already knows this frequency has a negative offset. If the repeater is non-standard (ie uses a + instead of a minus) press 'F' then '4' (RPT) then the tune knob for + - or OFF. Here, leave it at the default for this frequency, minus.Press the transmit button, you should see 146.040 appear on the screen - indicating that the shift is working.

The final part is kind of tricky. To avoid unintended operation, most repeaters require sub-audible tones be sent in order to turn on the repeat function and avoid erroneous tripping(you can use this function between radios too, so you don't hear anyone that isn't using the tone - on FRS/GMRS radios it's called the "privacy" codes - even though anyone else can hear you, you just can't hear them). It's called CTCSS. On the VX-170, hit 'F' then '1' (SQTYPE). Rotate the tune knob (at the base of the volume knob) until the word 'TONE' appears on the screen. Press the 'F' key to confirm. Now you'll see the 'T' indicator next to the '-' on the screen. The final step is to set the tone frequency. Hit the 'F' key then the '2' (code) button. Rotate the tune knob until '107.2' appears on the screen. Hit the 'F' key to confirm. You should now be talking to and able to trip the repeater. Key it up and ask for a signal check!!!

Then the trick is to save this into a memory slot so you don't have to go through all that work next time!!!

Pages 19-22 of the manual do a pretty good job of telling you how to set up the radio for repeaters, but they assume you already understand how a repeater works.

Let us know how it works out!

Thanks, and no, I hadn't programmed the pl tone. But I still can't seem to hit it, and it's nearly visible, line o' sight.

Should we try to set up a time for you to call? Maybe I can hear you-

fn

I am hearing the repeater CW callsign...

You've got it!!! What's your callsign, I can't hit it with the little rubber duck antenna, I'll go outside right now and use the truck's radio.

You've got it!!! What's your callsign, I can't hit it with the little rubber duck antenna, I'll go outside right now and use the truck's radio.

I'm KI6TQW

Tried to call you- I'm wb6qwd, but heard nothing. Can we try again at 430? I've got honey-dos. It SOUNDS like I'm hitting it...

Thanks.

fn

Tried to call you- I'm wb6qwd, but heard nothing. Can we try again at 430? I've got honey-dos. It SOUNDS like I'm hitting it...

Thanks.

fn

I didn't make it out there yet (trying to get some work done here on the comptuer)!!! I'll try and be on that freq at 4:30...

If you're hearing carrier for a few seconds, then there's usually a courtesy beep after the carrier cuts off, you're hitting it...

Some repeaters also have Kerchunker Filters. These keep the repeater from keying up when they receive short unmodulated CW signals.

You can simply say something like "xx6xyz listening", that will usually do the trick, plus keep you legal.

If you're about in line of sight, then the problem is most likely as Doug stated, getting the transmit offset set correctly and using the correct PL tone. Some repeaters don't require tones on the input, but put one on the output, and others require tones the input as well as using one on the output.

It might be that you've set up your radio with the right tone for receive operations but aren't transmitting a PL tone.

Another handy thing for riding in the way out there in the boonies, is a flexible 2 m whip antenna. I bought one that I can keep coiled up in my backpack most of the time and then screw on if I know I'm going to be riding in marginal coverage areas. The rubber duck antennas on most HTs are going to be somewhat limiting - especially if the HT is a dual band version.

Dug was correct, I hadnt dialed in the pl tone correctly. I fixed, and we chatted briefly. Now to persuade him to program all my radios...

fn

Dug was correct, I hadnt dialed in the pl tone correctly. I fixed, and we chatted briefly. Now to persuade him to program all my radios...

fn

Any time... My programming load-out is still a work in progress. I pretty much just blindly plugged in everything I could find for San Diego County from various websites and in the ARRL Repeater Directory. Half of them I haven't even verified yet to see if they still work (mostly from southern and eastern SD county), so if someone from down there can verify them, I can clean it up...

Well, now there's a few of us set up... Who else???

I can't believe TWO guys out-geeked fake name!

that being said, the radios sure make a ride hassle-free

Okay, so I ran out and bought 2 sets today. VX-170 from the Ham Radio outlet, and the Avcomm headset setup from Racer X. It was more expensive than what was mentioned earlier, (~$900), but now at least I can hear fn sing on the next ride. :)

and that, my friend, is worth every penny.

Just for the record, it's not that I sing so much. It's just that I have every lyric of every song I've heard locked in my diminishing hard drive of my head. And, certain situations will suggest certain lyrics. Por ejemplo, when descending a waterfall area, Hendrix's This May Be Love has an excellent reference to a waterfall.

So. There you have it.

fn

Okay, so I ran out and bought 2 sets today. VX-170 from the Ham Radio outlet, and the Avcomm headset setup from Racer X. It was more expensive than what was mentioned earlier, (~$900), but now at least I can hear fn sing on the next ride. :)

$900?? at $450 ea?

Thought the VX-170 was $120 and the headset was $180?

Where'd that extra $150 (x2) get tacked on??

The racer x solution is more expensive than the BD, and depending on the PTT button choice, can add some money to the equation. But maybe sdlineman can itemize.

fn

Looks like the geeks are taking over!!!

We'll all have to meet up and do some programming.

SDlineman, grab the book, take your test, and get legal - it opens up all sorts of benefits and safety systems to you and it's costs next to nothing!!!

On a side note, I'm pretty impressed with the BD microphones/headsets. I hooked up the radio on my commute yesterday. I figured I'd give it a try at highway speeds. I hit the local repeater for a signal report and the guy answering said I was coming in too hot. I had to move the mic further from my mouth at 70mph! They said they could hear some wind noise but it was not distracting at all.

Pretty cool to be riding down highway 78 at 70mph and talking to someone down in San Diego and be able to hear them so clearly.

Name your favorite watering hole, and I'll buy for you!

fn

. . . SDlineman, grab the book, take your test, and get legal - it opens up all sorts of benefits and safety systems to you and it's costs next to nothing!!! . . .

By all means take your tests everyone and get legal, it's not that hard - especially now that the morse code requirement has been dropped.

Also, I do FCC licensing stuff for a living, so I'd hate to have to rat some of you out to the man :):)

I'm joking of course about dropping a dime, but seriously, I can't knowingly talk with any unlicensed person or I risk fines and penalies even though I'm licensed.

Here's the breakdown for what I got:

2 vx-170 radios 139.99 ea

2 17" antennas 27.95 ea

1 tech class book 18.95

ham radio outlet total 362.33

2 motorcycle harnesses 82.05 ea

2 helmet speaker sets 101.39 ea

2 hand held radio interface cables 19.20 ea

2 high gain mic upgrade 13.23 ea

racer x total 552.61

I got a call from racer x saying he overcharged me for something by $18 for one of the pieces, so it will actually be $36 less, but I didn't know which part, so I gave you the invoice prices. He also said that those were sale prices, and full price was about $300 per set, so if you are thinking about getting a set, do it soon.

I started reading the book, it's got all the questions and answers, so if you can read you should be able to pass the test.

I was hoping for a pocket protector with purchase, but no such luck

I'm in if I'm not working to pay for my radios

I also just noticed I left out the PTT buttons 40.56 ea from racer x

so baja designs avcomm racerx i guess ill buy the speakermic that clips on my coller!!

radio=139

wires with speakers 300

i dont get it

rant off

+

so baja designs avcomm racerx i guess ill buy the speakermic that clips on my coller!!

radio=139

wires with speakers 300

i dont get it

rant off

+

Yeah, I'm not sure how some wires and connectors can be more expensive than the actual radio either, but I would be more pissed if I spent $200 on some cheap stuff, then had to turn around and buy the good stuff also because the cheap stuff didn't work.

You won't regret this. Comms change the experience in a BIG way. I'd rather ride a slow bike with comms than a fast bike without- it's that much better.

fn