Sign in to follow this  
dirt dame

Sunday 07/13/08

I was thinking about doing another dualsport ride somewhere after we had a great Friday ride, so Sunday morning, Roostingu and I went out somewhat late in the morning on what would turn out to be a street ride with a dirt ride in the middle of it.

It's just that I wanted to get to the targeted trail area as quickly and economically as possible, so it was as direct a route to the trailhead as we could go. That meant a highway run from Escondido to Julian, where we topped our tanks and then south to the Laguna mountains. I didn't even know for sure if the area I had chosen still was open to the public. If it wasn't, I had planned to go on some of the Friday ride trails and then to Boulder Creek road.

There was a trail area that I once drove my jeep on many years ago and I had not been back since. I always wanted to ride the area on a bike and now seemed like the time. We rode up and checked; no warning signs or locked gates. :) So in we went. It was quite nice up there. The trails are so unused that they are getting somewhat overgrown and trackless. We had lots of fun running a loop on the somewhat narrow two tracks and enjoyed cloudy weather and cool breezes. Off to the north, we could see rain squalls, but luckily no lightning. We could smell the rain too, but it never came over where we were riding. The trails were not too technical, but challenging enough to keep us amused, with alternating rocky or slippery deep silt patches. There was one really long uphill stretch that was silty stuff all the way up. It was the one spot that my Husqvarna finally got hot enough to hear the cooling system make boiling sounds when I dug in and stalled the machine. I was following Jeff up, and as usual, I got off the throttle a little to stay out of the dust and I did it at a point that I needed to carry momentum up the loose off-camber. Jeff soon discovered that I wasn't behind him and came back to bail me out. All in all, it was a good loop.

By the time we got back to the street it was after 2 o clock and we were both hungry, so we rode the pavement back to Julian and had a nice little lunch....fresh made sandwiches, pie and ice cream (the whole Julian experience). By now it was about 3:30, so we headed for home.

But we didn't explore all the trails out there, so we will be back soon. Next time we will get an early start time so we have more time to look around.

Our first stop on a dead end scenic trail.

100_0893.jpg

Jeff decides to air down for the loose terrain.

100_0895.jpg

A veiw of the desert mountains behind us.

100_0897.jpg

Lucky Trajan. He gets to wear a club sticker on his face. There's one on his hiney, too.

100_0898.jpg

The views were spectacular.

100_0899.jpg

At one point Jeff dropped his goggles, so I was goofing off while waiting for him to go look for them.

100_0903.jpg

He didn't find them, so we continued on.

100_0905.jpg

Another trail end with a view....

100_0906.jpg

Rain in the distance to the north of this spot.

100_0908.jpg

Perfect weather and scenery for a perfect riding day.

100_0911.jpg

So that pretty much wraps up my Sunday report. The area we rode in is pretty much overlooked, ignored and underused....and we hope to keep it that way. ;)

I would have had this posted yesterday evening, but the server was down and I couldn't even get on the internet. :scratch_one-s_head:

Dame has a sss? Of course, you'll let club members in on it, right?

("sss"? Sounds like a tire puncture. :scratch_one-s_head:) Sure. Like I said. we just want to keep the place pristine and not have it get mobbed by a bunch of riders. I think you may have already been in that area before ;) Maybe not too far from your signature ride.

Perfect weather and scenery for a perfect riding day.

100_0911.jpg

Hmmm... bikeslut should recognize that junction... :scratch_one-s_head:

It is a fairly quiet area, except during a specific hunting season.

...like I said. we just want to keep the place pristine and not have it get mobbed by a bunch of riders.

It's essentially a dead-end riding area, so it doesn't attract too much interest from most, plus during hunting season it gets other "attention".

I've been back there a few times since. Both times we took the time to hike around a bit too. Would be a great area for an primitive overnighter.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8179987771064777943

first video is on the road on 78 between Wild Animal Park and Romona twisties

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5191489871544268402

this video is on the last part of the off road portion of the ride in the laguna area I enjoyed the creation of the mighty Jehovah hope to enjoy it again soon. :scratch_one-s_head:

It's essentially a dead-end riding area, so it doesn't attract too much interest from most".

I've been back there a few times since. Both times we took the time to hike around a bit too. Would be a great area for an primitive overnighter.

Perfect, then. It'll be like a private riding area for us. :scratch_one-s_head:

That is a fun area, especially after a rain. :scratch_one-s_head:

That is a fun area, especially after a rain. :scratch_one-s_head:

I can just imagine how great it would be after a good winter soaking. It is so loose and slippery right now.

As good as it was out there, I remember more trails to the south when I was driving my jeep. There was one that went through a small canyon, wound around the side of the mountain and ended up right in the pine trees. That trail must have gotten completely obscured by overgrowth. I remember that it was really rocky and I scratched up my brand new aluminum rims and almost tore the front license plate right off the car. :scratch_one-s_head: Maybe a little scouting around might rediscover that trail....or not. ;)

As good as it was out there, I remember more trails to the south when I was driving my jeep. There was one that went through a small canyon, wound around the side of the mountain and ended up right in the pine trees. That trail must have gotten completely obscured by overgrowth. I remember that it was really rocky and I scratched up my brand new aluminum rims and almost tore the front license plate right off the car. :blink: Maybe a little scouting around might rediscover that trail....or not. :huh:

Good write-up Mimi. Awesome videos Jeff. Beautiful scenery and pics. Workin on gettin my nuts and bolts tight. :blink: Port

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5990100462260709143

I had this posted in the wrong place. caution may cause Nausea especially in mc sluts.? :blink:

yep; youre right...:bad:

I keep trying to watch the videos, hoping to get over it... doesn't work

Thanks for the post, though...

Mimi... hhhmmmm can't say that area looks familiar at all... I've erased that entire day from my memory banks... :blink: