how is this bike as a "DIRT BIKE" ??

I am very interested and i have rode it on the street, but i need more feedback. Is it going to limit me to the hard pack and fire roads? I know you are ridin on street tires right now, how is the suspension and the general feel offroad.??

There was a very good writeup in one of the Dirt Rider magazines by Jimmy Lewis who did an international competition with journalists of various countries on the bikes

My summation from what I have read on forums from owners, in magazines etc would be it's going to be worse off road than a KLR650

It's heavy and won't be doing anything harder than gravel roads etc at a fast pace, and it will wear you out because of it. It can slog through some pretty gnarly sections if you arent trying to go fast though. Grant rode his through some pretty gnarly sand and it was miserable for him. Once he got back to pavement I am sure it was a lot nicer.

I am very interested and i have rode it on the street, but i need more feedback. Is it going to limit me to the hard pack and fire roads? I know you are ridin on street tires right now, how is the suspension and the general feel offroad.??

There was a very good writeup in one of the Dirt Rider magazines by Jimmy Lewis who did an international competition with journalists of various countries on the bikes

My summation from what I have read on forums from owners, in magazines etc would be it's going to be worse off road than a KLR650

It's heavy and won't be doing anything harder than gravel roads etc at a fast pace, and it will wear you out because of it. It can slog through some pretty gnarly sections if you arent trying to go fast though. Grant rode his through some pretty gnarly sand and it was miserable for him. Once he got back to pavement I am sure it was a lot nicer.

he had a great time!

post-122-1239163989_thumb.jpg

The bike is heavy compared to ?. Jimmy Lewis did the Paris Dakar on a 1150GS Boxer and finished in the top ten.. Jimmy is about 5 foot 4 and weighs about 150lb. This bike is not a dirt bike, but definitly a fine bike in the dirt. Have any of you followed Mad Dog Mike on his 1200gs?

Kevin; of course you are right... everything is relative, and that includes bike weight and rider skill. for people used to thumpers, you would have to say a V strom, a versys, and the BMW800 are all heavy, and not good dirt bikes. I crack up when I hear people tell me the XRL and DRZ are heavy dual sports... they're really not... they ARE heavy dirt bikes.... and i'm no Jimmy Lewis, so a 1200 is just out of the question (although by most reviews, a much better dirt bike than my strom was)

If you want to ride from here to Colorado, on as much dirt as possible, I think a KTM990, a BMW800 are both good options.... that's the thing about dual sport bikes. It is a HUGE sliding scale of trade-offs... there is something for everybody

Im not knocking the bike, but Hobie asked how it is as a DIRT BIKE and I dont consider the BMWs or KTM990s etc as dirt bikes I consider them adventure bikes. You don't take one of these up Black Diamond single track for fun, you take them from here to Moab on as many dirt roads as possible

Im not knocking the bike, but Hobie asked how it is as a DIRT BIKE and I dont consider the BMWs or KTM990s etc as dirt bikes I consider them adventure bikes. You don't take one of these up Black Diamond single track for fun

I think Randy does take them up single track for fun. :ph34r: Other wise you are right they are Adventure bikes.

As the Ghost Riderz say, Anybody can do it on a small bike!

As the Ghost Riderz say, Anybody can do it on a small bike!

I've yet to see a Ghostrider so I think they are just urban myth :clapping:

I think I would still seriously look at the F800GS if I wanted to drop that kind of money as I am looking for my next bike to more street oriented anyway. But its not like youll pick the BMW to take to the desert for the weekend to go riding with people who are on non plated 450's etc