Sign in to follow this  
Goofy Footer

Caselli Foundation - Riders 1st Responders First Aid Class

13 hours ago, DSM8 said:

We always have recovery vehicle for noobs in Death Valley due to size we tend to have several for coverage 

radios and sat fone use for comms

You’ve helped and ran Noobs SAR for years - thank you!

I’m looking for info: On average how many riders get hurt a year? How often can they be trucked out vs taking a helicopter ride? How many broken bike recoveries are there?

Thanks for any info

1 hour ago, Goofy Footer said:

You’ve helped and ran Noobs SAR for years - thank you!

I’m looking for info: On average how many riders get hurt a year? How often can they be trucked out vs taking a helicopter ride? How many broken bike recoveries are there?

Thanks for any info

Most years there were 1 or 2 injuries that required evac but almost always by truck.
I can not think of one that was needing life flight that I was involved with.

A lot of ribs bruised/cracked but they rode out, same for sprains etc.
Mostly it's either broken limb or collar bone that ends their ability to ride.

This was over the last 12+ years that I ran SAR for N00Bs I am reflecting on.

I recently had a noob on the new Toureg overheat his clutch in some sand dunes north of Scorpion Bay.  I thought for sure I was going to tow him to pavement and then truck his bike 700 miles home.  Fortunately it was just overheating and it didn't fry.  After working on another bike issue for an hour, the Toureg clutch cooled enough to work again.  Had a shattered front disc on an 890 front wheel but Mcguyver'ed our way back to rolling on that one.  My point is, most issues in the field are field repairable with some zip ties, duct tape and a stick of JB weld (don't forget to bring a half qt of oil).  Most bikes that get hauled out are because of a broken rider, not a broken bike.  I've only had one bike broken beyond repair and winched out of a canyon.  And that was right here on Otay Mtn.  Go figure.

I don't think there's a way to calculate medical evacs.  Reference Daves response above.  On more than one occasion I've seen guys grit it out and ride out with a broken leg or arm. Others ride the chopper with the same or lesser injuries.