Sign in to follow this  
ADV Bum

Home solar system interest

After going to the fair and talking to the solar people I decided to finally do it. They wanted to charge me 30-40 grand to install a system on my house. I actually ended up knowing one as he called me for some tile work a while back. Told me that being in the business (const) that I should just by direct and have some local electrician hook me up. I took his advice and did some research.

I found 3kw systems that are expandable to 7-8 kw for around 17,000. After ca rebate of 2.20 w and the 2,000 fed rebate, the price is about 10,000. Thats the best that I could find anywhere. I am still working the two companies trying to get it a little better. The fed rebate will dissapear as of dec 31 08. The ca rebate will be going down to 1.90 w. As I have been watching solar for several years, I have seen the prices do nothing but go up drastically. With energy prices and solar demands, the prices are due to rise even more.

I am putting this out there, because I am going to do it. Wife agees(HOLY S) that now is the time. I have asked if there would be better pricing for more systems purchased. Yes! If you have any interest in jumping on the solar train, now is the time. Drop me a line at home, or email.

Are you foregoing the batteries and just generating power off the roof back to the grid during the day (peak hours), or going with stored power for night time use?

Are you foregoing the batteries and just generating power off the roof back to the grid during the day (peak hours), or going with stored power for night time use?

I am looking to just feed the grid. Battery system is nice, but more expensive. A good ol generator will work when the end comes, and they are much cheaper!

I am looking to just feed the grid. Battery system is nice, but more expensive. A good ol generator will work when the end comes, and they are much cheaper!

That's what I was thinking. What is the lifespan of the panels you are buying?

That's what I was thinking. What is the lifespan of the panels you are buying?

There is two packages. They have two different panels. The Sharp panels are warrantied for 25 yrs, the kyocera are 20yrs.

when you feed the grid can you bank the power that you send to the grid?

I think I remember that you can bank power for the year but not be paid for excess power that you send to the grid, is that correct?

I think I remember that you can bank power for the year but not be paid for excess power that you send to the grid, is that correct?

you are correct i was looking into this awhile back.

solar program

That counts us out for now. We're a small user and we'd be subsidizing SDG&E if there was no credit above our usage.

It's just a matter of panel cost and electric rates though, and it will be worth it someday for even small houses.

So I did some research on this NET METERING. Seems like you can bank your hours up to a year. The excess is hard to figure. They just passed some bill that raised the cap from .5% to 2.5%. Could not figure what they meant for sure. While researching, I came across a thing the Governer signed. It required that utility companies could not make solar customers switch to TOU rates until after sometime in 09. People who have solar before can keep their original rate.

TOU rates. They charge you different rates for the hours of the day. Instead of the teared system that we have now. The advantage that home solar is having, is that the production of solar usually will keep the home down in the first tear maximizing your returns. One more reason I will be doing it know.

I'm a Sr. Commodities Analyst in the Energy Industry and I hope that the pols can make solar viable for residential customers because it makes a great deal of sense in terms of energy policy, but for most the economics are not there yet and it's likely to get worse rather than better. The government money to make all of this happen is drying up and most individuals use home equity to pay for this type of investment.

I just heard Bobby Kennedy Jr. last night and he like many want to tile the southwest with solar panels, but thanks to Duncan Hunter and the good folks at the BLM we now have two years to enjoy our desert recreational opportunities before the "renewables" land rush starts in earnest.

The reason residential solar makes such good sense architecturally is that is puts the generation close to the consumption. It's called distributed generation and is one of the methods to reduce grid load. Another sensible proposal that you will probably not hear much about is to require new construction to be 10% energy sufficient. For example, if you're planning on building an office building it has to have co-generation of at least 10% of its demand. This is what Wal-Mart is doing by participating in the Net Metering program. They are able to meet the 10% number just with solar panels.

Believe it or not, nuclear is the only salvation for we who want to ride our motorcycles in the desert and remaining trails. It has the highest MW output and the smallest real estate footprint.

Conservation is a pipe dream. The Energy Industry has had a concerted program of conservation called Demand Management for over 20 years and yet demand continues to grow. Conservation can not be imposed on a free society, so don't believe it when you hear it. And Cap and Trade is not Conservation, it's an economic model.

Sorry for the lecture, but there's a motorcycle message in here, and I couldn't help but try to get the message out to those that have a vested interest in our public lands that are about to be sequestered by the "all knowing."

I'm a Sr. Commodities Analyst in the Energy Industry and I hope that the pols can make solar viable for residential customers because it makes a great deal of sense in terms of energy policy, but for most the economics are not there yet and it's likely to get worse rather than better. The government money to make all of this happen is drying up and most individuals use home equity to pay for this type of investment.

This is why I am doing it know. Just like the bio diesel. If I would of been doing it back when I was just breaking even, now I would be way ahead of the game because of energy increases. If I can break even now with government money, then as the increase come I have shielded myself. Utility companies are changing all of their policies to try and discourage home solar. Why? Cause it is a good deal for the consumer. Government wants to see all states require a net metering system to promote home solar. Utility companies are going to try to make this process much more expensive to do so they can control. I want to be grandfathered in and making money as technology advances, and I can use it to my benefit!

Question: Let's say I have a one story house right now. (Which I do.) But I'm considering adding a second story in a couple of years. Could the panels be moved with minimal effort? It seems like they should be able to be but I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Question: Let's say I have a one story house right now. (Which I do.) But I'm considering adding a second story in a couple of years. Could the panels be moved with minimal effort? It seems like they should be able to be but I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

I am in the same position. I do believe it would be easy to move. The hardest thing is getting wired into the grid.

I am in the same position. I do believe it would be easy to move. The hardest thing is getting wired into the grid.

Bum,

My son, Adam Walker can help you with the grid tye he's a electrical contractor.

He's into the solar thing and maybe he can save you some $.

His # is 760-214-3500 cell office Walker's Electric 760-479-1426

Bum,

My son, Adam Walker can help you with the grid tye he's a electrical contractor.

He's into the solar thing and maybe he can save you some $.

His # is 760-214-3500 cell office Walker's Electric 760-479-1426

Thanks I will give him a call

The $10k price you're talking about, is that a size-dependent price? (Does size matter?? :) ) I ask because my house isn't that big so I'm wondering what determines the cost. Is the number of panels fixed or deos it vary according to the size and/or energy needs of the house? Thanks!