Sign in to follow this  
Goofy Footer

AZBDR Camping Locations

I know some people here have done the AZBDR. Where did you camp / motel?

Any recommendations would be great

1700358221_azbdrmap01.jpg.ffa647b4f3524db22d9b83ebaf11d408.jpg

CID, Mikey777, and I did it a couple years ago. Let me pull out my map and get back to you.

Tim, you should download the iOverlander App....tons of campsites both free and paid all over the USA, by overlanders who actually stayed at them.

12 hours ago, KTMrad said:

Tim, you should download the iOverlander App....tons of campsites both free and paid all over the USA, by overlanders who actually stayed at them.

Ah, I forgot about that app! I've used it for other camping just not motocamping - yet. Good reminder, I'll use it. Thanks.

Mongolian Rim looks to be an ideal camping area. The AZBDR runs through lots of National Forest land so plenty of opportunities to camp

• Like 1

Hey Goofy, here's a quick breakdown on our ride:

We left San Diego and slabbed to Sierra Vista the first day. Stayed in a hotel that night, unsure of the name. But it was close to the start.

Day 2 we camped near the top of Pioneer Pass. It's a forest service area with several good free dispersed campsites. There were bears in the area so be prepared to hang your food.

Day 3 we made it past the Mogollon Rim. About halfway between the Rim and highway 40, there is lots of great camping. It's a higher elevation plateau. Once we got tired,, we basically just turned off the trail and went and camped behind some trees about 1/2 miles off the trail.

Day 4 we made it all the way to Cameron. It was a triple-digit day so we got hotel rooms at the Cameron Trading Post hotel that night so we could shower and cool down. There is a decent restaurant there. Per Arnie Fry's (RIP) suggestion, I got the Indian Fry Bread beef dip sandwich. Not great, but pretty good. 

Day 5 we made it all the way to Utan and started slabbing back toward Flagstaff. We ended up in a forest service campground in the Prescott area off the 95 that night.

Day 6 we slabbed home.

It's a good ride. I plan on doing it again, except next time I would turn around at the Grand Canyon and loop back on different trails.

Let me know if you have any questions.

LB

• Like 1

Excellent reply LB! I’m in Globe on the trail at the moment. I’m going to shoot for the Mongolian Rim area tonight. Any bears there? I probably should have checked ha

I’ll keep the Cameron Trading Post in mind, it’s going to be cool up there at night. 

If everything goes as planned, I’m going to try and loop around the North Rim en route to Mesquite before slabbing home.. on a 650 d’oh!

I suspect the area north of Mogollon Rim has some bear activity but not enough for me to worry about at the time. I felt really comfortable primitive camping there and just left everything outside my tent. I like your idea of looping around the north rim through Mesquite. I might have some tracks that could get you back to the Hoover Damn area from Mesquite??? I have not ridden them yet but I downloaded them about a year ago in preparation for doing that section sometime soon. Text me at 760-703-6877 if you are interested and I'll text them to you.

LB