Sign in to follow this  
Jlburgess

Black Mountain/Lusardi TT 12/29? Border Ride?

I haven't ridden this route before but I believe it is fairly easy.   Might wait until 12/30 if anybody wants to join in?  I'm coming from Jamul so meet up in Ramona?  I'm on a DR650 and not riding fast, just enjoying the ride.   I'll probably do a border ride between Portreo and Camp this week too.  It is usually really sandy so the rain today should give it more traction.  I'm on vacation this week so very flexible....

I'm on a XR440 and off this week.  I have a few family things brewing but post up when you are going.

Where would you be coming from?  Can you recommend a meet-up spot?  I usually head that way up just north past Sutherland Dam near the falls.  There's a gate that is supposedly open at  FS12S07.  It's near the abandoned bridge as I recall.

I am in Tierrasanta.  A good meetup spot in Ramona is Packards Coffee Shop, as you can park your vehicle there if you are trucking your bike in.  I would be riding in.  They may close the gate at Santa Ysabel TT (12S07) due the wet weather.  I'm waiting for an update on the forest service alerts page, which is much better at being updated recently.  It also should update whether the gate to Black Mountain TT is open.  Since you are in Jamul, a route like this might work, which is similar to what Randy proposed a couple days ago.  Wednesday is 50/50 for me, but Thursday morning is looking better, depending on the gate closures from the rain.  The best thing to do is just post up a specific day/time/route and place you want to meet in a separate thread and see who joins.  Best to post a couple days in advance.

• Like 1

I would check on black mtn tt closure.  Every time it rains enough to saturate the ground they "close it down to prevent vehicles from damaging the road"   that is what i was told last storm i went looking to ride there and spoke to the ranger

Here is the number of the ranger station

760 788-0250

If I can get a chain for my bike today, I'll join for tomorrow .  I am also interested in a pinyon to fish creek ride soon.  With the rain, it should be great

16 minutes ago, Pokey151 said:

I would check on black mtn tt closure.  Every time it rains enough to saturate the ground they "close it down to prevent vehicles from damaging the road"   that is what i was told last storm i went looking to ride there and spoke to the ranger

Here is the number of the ranger station

760 788-0250

If I can get a chain for my bike today, I'll join for tomorrow .  I am also interested in a pinyon to fish creek ride soon.  With the rain, it should be great

I'll do the border ride today and check the Cleveland NF Roads page when I get back for Black Mountain conditions.

Just an FYI for anyone that is planning to ride Tecate' to Campo along the the border route:

There is a massive construction project underway replacing the border wall and putting in a concrete road next to the wall.  It isn't a good time to ride there although they didn't stop me to say turn around.  I had intended to go as far a Shockey Rd but couldn't find a way around the construction.  Oh well, still better than work! 😉

• Like 1