Sign in to follow this  
erik_26

Depreciation Question

I am strongly considering purchasing a used Honda Goldwing for touring. I guess the last part of that sentence wasn't necessary. I doubt many buy Goldwings for motocross, Dakar rallies and such...😄

I am confident I don't want to buy new. I don't mind losing a couple grand over the next 5-years or so. At what age does the depreciation rate start to slow down? 3-5 years? If I bought a year between 2015-2017, would I be in for losing a ton of money if I wanted to part ways with it in 5-years? I just don't know depreciation rates like with cars. I know some cars hold their value better than others and of course mileage and wear & tear will factor into value.

Any of you have experience with the Goldwing? Thoughts?

I have been riding two-up with my Fiance on the back of my Super Tenere. It isn't bad, but more comfort for longer rides is what I am after.

I had to look up the last generation change, looks like 2018.  The previous generation was 2001-2017 with some minor upgrades/changes.  I would just look for whatever one looked like a solid deal in that year range and ride the hell out of it.  

My gut impression is that they hold value better than the other japanese brands but I don't really know.  What I do know, is that the R1200 GS Adventure model holds it's value better than any other motorcycle.  So if it's depreciation you want to minimize, I'd start there.  Fortunately there are a ton of riders and pillions who prefer this bike's touring ergo's and comfort to any other...... but that's not what you asked now is it.  One last thing... I've had a number of guys tell me that their wives preferred the GSA over the BMW RT for touring comfort.  Whatever you do, if the girl is going to be on the back, don't even think of test riding something without her going along, cause you know what they say.  If momma aint happy ...

Dad had a Goldwing Aspencade a couple decades ago.  Thing would go anywhere paved with performance and comfort.  The modern ones are more sport touring 'able' than you would expect by looking at them.  Great bikes... just not my thing.

I'd check out a Goldwing forum.  They will know.