rwynant

SM For meeeeee

Hey boys and girls,

Been awhile since I've been on a ride with you all.

I think the last one was a dirty SM ride out Boulder Creek and then I lead the group down Engineers Road.

Anyway I've been looking and looking for reasonable SM wheels....since I couldn't seem to land any used equipment I was poking around on Thumper Talk and found these:

http://www.mountainpeaksmotorsports.com/wa...products_id/746

http://www.mountainpeaksmotorsports.com/wa...products_id/745

There are a couple of reviews on TT, and the King Guru BURNED says they are are good, and he has a set.

5 to 10 days I should have them, and I'll come back here and report fit and finish.

Drop in replacement for the dirt rims? No brake bits to change-out? (except maybe pads?)

Drop in replacement for the dirt rims? No brake bits to change-out? (except maybe pads?)

This set is turn key bolt on. $869 delivered - for my 2005 DRZ400S

The front comes with 320 rotor AND caliper adapter, assembled and ready to mount up tubes and tires.

The rear comes with a sprocket and wave brake disc, assembled and ready to mount up tubes and tires.

The only issue ( which I could care less ) is the front does not have the speedo hook up.

FYI - the disc and sprocket bolt patterns are KTM....which is neither here nor there ( I am told it helps keep costs down, not having to retool )

While I am typing this, I get an email on my phone from someone at Mountain Peak.....I had asked to make sure the caliper relocator adaptor is included...and yes it is!!!!! AND WHOOOHOOOOO he says my wheels will ship by Friday, and I just ordered them this evening!!

These guys are good!

That's a decent price. SuMo is a lot of fun, I wish I had wheels set up for my WR400 also.

So... the speedo... the assembly still gets used as a spacer but nothing engages it on the inside to spin then?

I'm very interested in having you come over and install these on my bike... after of course you mount some decent rubber... :P But seriously, I would love to check it out sometime! :P

I believe that is the case...as I did see a pic and the speedo spacer was there, but no cable hooked up.

I'll figure out a cover or boot of some kind to put over that to keep the trouble OUT.

Hopefully, I'll be workin on this by Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

Randy

So... the speedo... the assembly still gets used as a spacer but nothing engages it on the inside to spin then?

I'm very interested in having you come over and install these on my bike... after of course you mount some decent rubber... <_< But seriously, I would love to check it out sometime! ;)

I believe that is the case...as I did see a pic and the speedo spacer was there, but no cable hooked up.

I'll figure out a cover or boot of some kind to put over that to keep the trouble OUT.

Randy

I just changed a front tire today, so I took a look. The speedo assembly forms it's own seal, just like the spacer on the other side. The hub is probably just not machined with the teeth to catch the spinner. It should just sit idle and be fine (my guess).

You'll just have to fire up the GPS and keep a SM log... <_<

Randy

I just changed a front tire today, so I took a look. The speedo assembly forms it's own seal, just like the spacer on the other side. The hub is probably just not machined with the teeth to catch the spinner. It should just sit idle and be fine (my guess).

You'll just have to fire up the GPS and keep a SM log... ^_^

I am talking about the boot area the cable goes into and screws on/in....need to keep that area clean.

I am talking about the boot area the cable goes into and screws on/in....need to keep that area clean.

You'll have to post a pic of what you end up doing. I was guessing it was still going to use the existing speedo assy as the spacer, just not turn it. If that was the case I would've just left the cable attached. Sounds like its more than just that.

I got the wheels on Thursday....nice!!

The front comes with 2 spacers....so I don't know yet if the speedo drive will actually fit in there.

I'll have tires and tubes by Wed, and have things apart within a day or so.....I'll post pics of the mounting.

Been too long since I was active around these parts, I've been working allot and have not swapped out my SM set up for dirt in months (I need to get dirty again as soon as things slow down here at work).

Congrats on getting the new wheels, you're gonna love it! My speedo is off by about 10 MPH, it lies by saying I'm going faster than I really am because of the smaller diameter wheels, I just have to remember that while riding through town and around.

Drop me a PM if you want to do some twistie SM riding :blink:

SCHWINN and RO both have SM sets for their Katoomers so maybe we can do a group SM ride soon.

132-3237_IMG.jpg

Palomar, Montezuma, Banner, Sunrise and all parts in between are all a blast with the "Phattie" 17's on the dual sports :lol: