Sign in to follow this  
bikeslut

Business trip

So the wife's first day starts at 3:30 a.m. Since I am the gentleman I am (shut up if you know better!), I helped them load the birds in to the vans, then went out to find "Crown King"

post-122-1208447959_thumb.jpg

It was dark... my camera doesn't do the best at night photography, and "NO, it's NOT operator error"

post-122-1208448041_thumb.jpg

Sun up over the desert

post-122-1208448072_thumb.jpg

Wild burros left over from the prospecting days

post-122-1208448110_thumb.jpg

They went down here, so, being alone, out in the desert, I chose NOT to follow them... yeah, I could've gone DOWN it, but could I make it back up?

post-122-1208448164_thumb.jpg

Second part of day one... well, I never did find the "re-born ghost town" of Crown King, but almost rolled my truck once, and almost got the truck stuck in a sand wash, so I unloaded the bike a rode around a bit.

Since I only had 3 days to ride, I wanted to see as much as I could, so I loaded up and went to "Pima/Dynamite"

post-122-1208449012_thumb.jpg

post-122-1208449034_thumb.jpg

post-122-1208449051_thumb.jpg

At least I know I won't die from dehydration...

post-122-1208449068_thumb.jpg

The trails were all very well-marked... trail 13... sounds like good luck!

post-122-1208449158_thumb.jpg

post-122-1208449211_thumb.jpg

caught between a cactus and a ... uh cactus

post-122-1208449245_thumb.jpg

post-122-1208449312_thumb.jpg

and a rock and a hard place

and this one proves Ride-Orange wasn't there... nor was Mimi

post-122-1208449370_thumb.jpg

This is the "boulders riding area"

This place was great... some open fire roads, sand washes, half-technical hill climbs, cool singletrack...

I was about a mile from the truck when i went off a small hip jump, and my bike stalled in mid-air... I was bummed... it was fairly warm and I wasn't looking forward to walking back...

All my gas had sloshed to the wrong side of the tank... set to reserve, then back for a fill-up

post-122-1208450463_thumb.jpg

post-122-1208450452_thumb.jpg

post-122-1208450473_thumb.jpg

post-122-1208450473_thumb.jpg

The reason for the trip... a bunch of animals (i was on the flamingo team... but I was not actually THERE... cuz it was a business trip)

went to Phoenix

post-122-1208450368_thumb.jpg

One of my traveling partners...

post-122-1208450524_thumb.jpg

post-122-1208450488_thumb.jpg

So the wife's first day starts at 3:30 a.m. Since I am the gentleman I am (shut up if you know better!), I helped them load the birds in to the vans, then went out to find "Crown King"

When was this trip, last night, man you shoulda called me. I'd have gone with. Where other than Phoenix did you go? Where are you in this area? Details sir.

Now I don't know this young lady, or do I, but this looks like a photo of "TWO of your traveling partners" or maybe just your "traveling partners".

Prescott area? I rode from Prescott to Crown King last year when I was there, pretty fun stuff.

Crown King and Boulders are near Lake Pleasant on the northwest side of town... Pima Dynamite is in Scottsdale...

Yeah; the town of Crown King is nearer to Prescott, but the directions i got from TT got me on a dirt road called Cow Creek Trail or something... I'm not exaggerating... I really almost rolled my truck... it was some pretty gnarly dirt road, and I was fishtailing all over the place, even at a slow pace... The GPS said "continue 8.2 miles to destination" NO WAY IN H E DOUBLE HOCKEYSTICKS was I going to continue on that road, in my new truck for 8.2 miles... ;)

I have since found a new way to get there, and will visit in the late fall. ;)

Jon- Yes; she is very pleasant to look at, and really, really, nice... and No, I went the first week in April, and posted before I went... but I'll go back again, and post again.

For most of these trails, a smoker would've been a much better option than our DS bikes... but the Crown king route is actually a DS (license required) route.

another observation I made... all of the designated areas say you need written permission, and give you a web site to visit... yeah; like that's gonna happen! :blink:

anyway; it was a good time; sorry for the delay on pics/report... the wife unpacked my stuff, and dislocated the cd's/camera... she left town this week, and so I found them... uh... cleaning out MY garage... hhhmmmm... maybe SHE didn't dislocate them... :unsure:

post-122-1208456844_thumb.jpg

I actually didn't get some of the shots that were really cool... I'd be bumpin along this singletrack, and the trail would go between two HUGE saguaro... On the Roadrunner Hour, they always look soft and flexible; those things are solid. Just for grins, I stopped once and gave one a shove...

Also, I figured out pretty quick... The first couple of times coming out of the main wash on a trail; I'd come blowing up out of the wash, and with the front (or both) tire(s) in the air, this skinny singletrack does a 90 degree turn 6 feet from the lip...

All of the riding was very easy, unless you took speed in to account... I had plenty of close calls, til I slowed it down.

When was this trip, last night, man you shoulda called me. I'd have gone with. Where other than Phoenix did you go? Where are you in this area? Details sir.

Now I don't know this young lady, or do I, but this looks like a photo of "TWO of your traveling partners" or maybe just your "traveling partners".

Oh yeah... You probably HAVE met this young lady... she generally goes to my gigs... and she is a singer; I'm trying to get her hooked up with one of my bands...

Of course, Jon.... You have such a lovely girlfriend, you would be kinda dumb to look at anybody but her, while she is around :unsure:

Next gig: April 25th, at Winston's in OB... fairly late night... we probably won't get done until 11:30..

another band is going to be a steady gig at O Connell's (I think) downtown on the first Monday of each month (starting Aug maybe)

another band will be playing Humphrey's for Happy hour soon (i hope)

DAMN! Hijacked my own thread!!!

I can't say she looks familiar. I comment about the picture for what I thought was an obvious reason. Partners are we square?

:unsure:

I can't say she looks familiar. I comment about the picture for what I thought was an obvious reason. Partners are we square?

:angry:

we're cool... thanks

I was never tweaked... just started having concerns with the direction it was going.

If you're in town the 25th, swing out to Winston's... let me know, and i'll get you tickets...

I will be in town and I will be at Winston's for the show. I'll be bringing Julie and I'm gonna talk to my roommate and a few other friends. I'll bring earplugs too. Not because your music is bad, because the volume is, uh I think I'm about to indirectly say I'm too old, shi?. OK screw the earplugs. I'll see you Friday.