Sign in to follow this  
chickenheart

house hunting advice needed

ok guys and gals the family is looking to buy a home, but I do not know about most of the county so am looking for inputs from everyone about nice areas to live. we have been looking up in san marcos and a little in escondido but we really like san marcos due to the schools and neighborhoods. with that said if there are other areas in the county that you guys would rate as good as san marcos that are in my price range which is about 375,000 please post so i can search those areas.

thanks in advance

ed

I'd be looking in:

Ramona

Valley Center

Fallbrook

great deals out in those areas, but the wife gets real bad headaches from the heat so ramona and valley center are out but maybe fallbrook its only a short ways up from where we are looking any way.

thanks

eddie

In my experience, once you are a few miles from the coast it is all the same.

im not sure there is much difference between any of the lacations mentioned. they all get plenty hot in the summer.

if heat is a major issue, try to find a fixer upper near the coast.

I'd look in the Poway area...

It might be a little bit more expensive, but they have an outstanding school district.

Also, it does not get quite as hot as Ramona in the summer time.

My wife is an elementary teacher in Lemon Grove (east county) and she always says the north county schools have better scores than her district. Poway is always right up there.

You may need to consider where you work, a lot of commuting at $4 a gallon is going to hurt the wallet and you could pay for a good private school at those rates.

TNTMO -

"You may need to consider where you work, a lot of commuting at $4 a gallon is going to hurt the wallet"

AMEN, TESTIFY BROTHER

Im thinking either end of Boulder Creek Rd., Julian or Descanso. Maybe either end of Thing Valley road, Laguna or La Posta. Otay Truck trail, either Barrett or Otay (East lake). Just a few ideas... Just keep the priorities in order. Good Luck, Bob <_<

well we put an offer in on a house today in san marcos but i'm not getting my hopes up cuz its a short sale and the banks/lenders have been listing them low to start bidding wars at least thats the way it seems. But if all goes well i'll throw a BBQ ASAP. thanks for the responses a keep them coming cuz we will still be looking just in case this doesnt work out.

ed

I think you are right on with your choice. San Marcos is not far from the beach and prices are very reasonable. House should hold value and will probably have good appreciation when market turns.