Sign in to follow this  
airedoc

Banner to Ranchita

Riding a couple of plated bikes tomorrow, trying to figure out a route to go from 78 near Banner on dirt to pick up Grapevine back to the campground parking, anyone know how to minimize the pavement from those 2 spots?

it is, from banner you have to ride into the narrows and then make a left onto grapevine after the last tight turn, I believe there is a pullout area almost opposite the turnout.

Airedoc,

You may be looking at Chariot Canyon south down to Mason Valley. There is a hiking only trail through Box Canyon and back through Blair Valley along the S2. The high trail seen in Chariot is the Pacific Crest Trail.  The trails heading north from the 78 are State Wildlife Preserve or private property.

Nothing wrong with a Loop south on Rodriquez and Chariot Canyons to Mason Valley.

A good map is the Tom Harrison, San Diego Backcountry Rec. available from A-16 or REI.

Actually, from Banner store, you could hit Rodriguez trail (access directly across the 78 from Banner store) to Orliflame Canyon to S2, hang a left on the highway to scissors crossing, right on 78, and then a left onto Grapevine. 

Yes, I have seen the hiking trails, I think down Rodriguez then S2 to Grapevine is really the best option.  I am heading back to Indio afterwards so I'll need to get back to 78 still on pavement, I guess most of you guys head back to San Diego area.  What route do you like to go back to 78 instead of just going back down Grapevine?  Thanks for all your help!

My friend,  you have little choice until the Narrows are cleared. At that point, north or south you are in heaven. I would suggest Old Kane Road to Buttes Pass to San Felipe Wash east.  Don't go to Ranchita.

Good Luck