Sign in to follow this  
PastaPilot

Labor Day Weekend

I am in the early stages of planing a weekend camping trip. This would be a dual purpose weekend(no pun intended), I want to do alot of riding on my XR and my girlfriend wants to get her friends out for mountain biking.I am extending an open invitation to all in planning and or joining in for the long weekend. Firewood and weenies are optional but highly encouraged. Beer is always welcome.Please offer any suggestions on campsites close to quality rides for both DS bikes (me) and mountain bikes (g/f). Showers are a necessity on this one.I want to stay in San Diego and I've looked into Cuyamaca Rancho State Park, Laguna/El Prado and Heise County Park. Each is about $15/night for a tent and I am going to start making calls to reserve a site/s. All have plenty of mountain biking, but I don't know about DSing in the area. Thats about as far as I've gotten, I don't have much camping gear but I can make plans and phone calls for anybody that'd like to join in. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. All "bikers" are welcome.

I'm planning on camping at Laguna campground for labor day weekend. I plan to bring my bike but it is also opening weekend for archery deer hunting and I'll be doing that as well.

Laguna and Cuyamaca both have pretty good mountain biking, but I'm not aware of many dirt bike options in the area. Oriflamme is not too far away from either, and really, neither is ABDSP. Street riding in the area is great.

I myself am going to do the Big Bear camping on Labor Day for some cycling/4x4ing. Much more trails up that away (damn good mt biking too!). Anybody have some recommended trails to do, let me know. Thanks.

It appears that the news of hunting season has changed the minds of few in the party. We're still planning a trip for the Labor day weekend I'm just not sure how it's going to end up. We thought about going to Big Bear but don't really want to be there for the holiday weekend. Additionally, I don't have a truck and I'm not riding my XR up the 15 for 2+ hours. Although, If anybody knows how to get to Big Bear on dirt roads/trails, please share and I'll see you up there.

Like I said I'll be up there either way. I'm staying from the 8/31-9/6 so if someone wants to go for a ride during that time let me know. I'll probably be hunting in the early mornings until 10am then in the evenings starting around 4:00pm. ;) And if I get something early I'll have alot of free time for riding. I wouldn't worry too much about the fact that it's hunting season as it is archery and as an archery hunter you have a good look at your target before taking a shot and the arrows wouldn't carry beyond line of sight. Most of the guys will be well off the fire roads were you'd be riding anyway and you may actually help to push the deer in their general direction. Now the mountain biking may be a little different as the trails probablly run through some hunting areas but as a hunter in the area I come to expect some traffic as it is a multi use area but like I said nobody is going to mistake you for a deer. B)

I grew up in a big hunting region of NY and went to college in MI (where opening day of shotgun season is essentially a state holiday) and can tell youat least once a year some idiot mistakes a fellow blaze orange clad human as a brown furry quadraped. Rest assured it's not me that's backing out, bowhunters tend to be a bit more with it than gunhunters, and as you said their range isn't nearly as great. I am still planning on going out there but it looks like it'll just be my girl and I as all of her friends have flaked. I think that means me taking off for 4-5 hours at a time on my bike are not possible. So I may not take it out there. :D

I'd like to try Big Bear myself... maybe this weekend.. I can take Friday off. I have a jeep liberty 4x4 with a bike carrier, so I can only take my bike.. I have an RV that I can carry two bikes (regular RV adapted).. Not sure I want to go on labor day weekend.. I would imagine it gets too full... but, I'll consider....

I already have plans for this weekend, but I'd love to camp in Big Bear. If you could haul my bike up with yours I'd be happy to pitch in for gas/beer/s'mores. Labor Day weekend could work in Big Bear but I have a feeling it'l be pretty crazy up there. I went up July 4th weekend and it was quite full. Although, I'm pretty sure there will be lots of people everywhere Labor Day weekend. I mean we're all making plans... I'm available for most every weekend ride and I'm working on my availability during the week. Post here or PM me for future rides. Jon

That's an idea! Lets think about it more... I'm still undecided about labor day weekend.. I'll get back with you later on...

I was up at Big Bear Thursday evening and Today (Sunday). The 330 going in and out of Big Bear is only open from 8 AM to 6 PM. On Thursday I rode until 9 PM and had to go down the backside of the mtn on hwy 18 through lucerne valley, this added a lot of time to my trip :D . For more info look here: http://www.bearvalleynews.com/bvn%20Hwy%20330.htm

Also if you guys do any night riding watch out for rattlesnakes. I passed three of them on Thursday night. The first one I passed actually tried to strike me :D What was he thinking? The second one was just slithering down the trail. After I passed the third one I turned around to get a closer look, he had a rat tail hanging out of his mouth and his belly was full. Anyway I started riding in the day and had shorts on if I had know I was going to be dodging rattlesnakes I probably would have worn pants. Maybe they will be on vacation over the holiday like everyone else.

Jon.. I decided to try Big Bear the weekend of September 15th.. but am taking my whole family (wife, 18 year old son, 20 year old daughter). Therefore I can't take you with me this time since we would not fit. You are welcome to join us up there if you can make it. Vistacarider says he may join us if he can get a truck. What kind of motorcycle do you ride? Maybe I can haul it for you, if it's a light one, because I can't carry that much weight. I also have an extra bike carrier you can put on the back of a class 3 hitch, you could borrow.

Sorry, I thought this ride was moving up to Big Bear so I started another ride possibility for Saturday 9/2/06

If you have nailed down something for Saturday let us know! :D

Looks like just the lady and I are going to be camping on Friday and Saturday (9/1-9/2) in Cuyamaca. My bike will be staying in SD and we'll be hiking and relaxing with a case of beer or two and a pack of weenies. We'll be back in town sometime on Sunday and could make a ride on Monday morning for sure.Any weekends in Sept should be ok for me to ride. I am on an XR650l, not a light bike by any means. If anybody else wants to go up there that weekend and has room for an extra bike, I'll gladly help out with gas. Thanks for the offer but I don't have anything with a hitch, someday I might have a truck too. Jon