Sign in to follow this  
husky4me

Boulder Creek Water Crossing

I had a wonderful solo ride Wednesday, taking on easy trails and having a wonderful time! :( I had been to Boulder Creek easy jeep trail many times past, and I remember on one occasion metal-twister warning me about being cautious with this little water crossing with flat concrete... So, yesterday, just prior to crossing, I remember his warning... then I had a thought "I have been to plenty of water crossings, deep mud, rocks, this is just a piece of pie." I slow down a little as to not get wet, take it on on second gear while standing, and suddently I'm like bambi falling on the ice... :lol: O.Kay, this is not even a deep water crossing, but after my fall I tried to pick up my bike, when I slip again into my back and get soak wet.... :lol: After a few attempts at picking up my bike, and slipping all over, I just started laughing... :D I went on on my ride all wet, feeling cold, but having a great time! :D I went exploring other areas, other trails, and just had a blast... Oh, and I had to stop by the store to get more motrin, as now my right shoulder is in pain (maybe it will make my neck pain feel better now :lol: )

Anybody else has slipped on this little minute water crossing, or am I the only clumsy rider around??? :lol:

De Luz canyon in fallbrook has several cement texas crossings, I tell my harley buddies not to screw around when crossing thru but there is always one that goes down . :lol::lol: try picking up a harley in that mossy stuff while laughing and oh yea his girlfriend was on back.... not funny :lol:

Haven't slipped on that one. But we have had a lot of warm weather, so a lot of algae could have built up. I used to have to cross a cement crossing on Escondido creek that got pretty slimey and have spent enough time doing the splits through crossings on my various street bikes at De Luz :lol: You gotta hit those sorts of things fairly neutral. Not too much gas and not too little, any drag on the driving wheel one way or another has a big effect on traction. Luckily I have managed to not hit the concrete yet. :lol:

You are right Mimi, I think there was too much algae on the cement... I never had this happened before over there... Now I will be more cautious over cement water crossings..

You are right Schwinn, falling with a big bike is no laughing matter...

The lesson learned here is to always have full protective gear, no matter how easy the ride plan seems to be... Sometimes I don't wear my full gear when I know I'm doing easy stuff around (I get lazy about putting on all the gear). I was lucky I was wearing my full gear yesterday, because I could off broken something, as hitting the concrete hard does hurt... :lol:

With this sport, you end up with all these aches and pains all over your body... especially at my age... When it is the end of my life, I rather have a worn out body that I use to have healthy fun, than go with an intact body... People who see as riding, and falling, and hurting our bones, just don't get it! Why we ride, why we get hurt, and then we continue on... After a long ride, you come home with lots of aches, but a sense of accomplishment, an energized spirit, and a natural high... Sometimes in the middle of the fall, the enduring hard trail, I got thoughts of why do I do this... sometimes, even thoughts of this is it for me... but next weekend comes along and here we are again... :lol:

I know quite a few friends who have fallen in the same crossing on Boulder Creek.

It really doesn't matter what time of year, if it's wet, it's slippery.

I have taken it many times and have not fallen (yet) ^_^ . I always go across slowly in first gear with neutral throttle (no acceleration), and ride about 6 to 10 feet up from the downside edge of the concrete crossing.

If you went across standing, in 2nd gear, I'd say that was too fast. I think what's kept me from falling there is just going across with neutral throttle in first gear.

i havent had a chance to dip my bike/s yet but i did always wonder about how the bike would start after laying in water. did yours start ok?or does the bike suck up water into the engine?

sonny

The water here is only a few inches deep, so you can't submerge the motor, thus not an issue at this crossing.

Only time sucking water into the engine becomes an issue is when you submerge the motor and/or air intake.

i havent had a chance to dip my bike/s yet but i did always wonder about how the bike would start after laying in water. did yours start ok?or does the bike suck up water into the engine?

sonny

As Randy mendioned, it is not an issue here because the water is not deep at all, just enough to get me soaked because I ended lying on my back... I was riding my G650X which just keeps on running, until you shut it up... It comes alive with no problem because it is fuel injected... but, in addition, the G650X has the air intake up, so it does water crossings really well with no issue... In Baja, I went through lots of water crossings with no problem at all... On one occasion 2wheels took me to a very deep water crossing while riding my husky. The bike cough a litte but kept on working fine... However, later I checked and the air filter was soaked, and the oil had a milk look... My understading is that if you drop the carburated motorcycle deep, you may have to take all the water off, dry air filter, get spark plug off etc, etc...

Yes Randy, I was going a bit fast for this... If it was regular dirt, it would have not been an issue, but concrete full of algae, I would imagine it can have the effect of gliding on... just like when you are riding in the freeway and hit water... From now on, I will have much more respect for little two inch water crossings, when there is cement...

He, He, He, Told Ya! My son and I did syncronized swimming across that slim a year or so back. I still laugh when I think about pouring the water out of my new digital camera. ^_^ Hope your ok Martin? I must admit I feel like a real novice going across that crossing with my feet down using them for training wheels.

The very first ride on my what was new KLR was on Boulder Creek trail :o Your not the first or the last to find out how slick that crossing is :D My first of many dents happened at that crossing. And get this ^_^ The guy I sold the bike too also on his first ride never made it across in one piece ;) He called Me and told Me about his first ride. He's OK but ended up with some nice scrapes. Glade your OK. AND EVERY ONE WHO SLID ACROSS BOULDER CREEK. The Doc.