sandiegoland

Noob OPs on Otay Mountain, Sat 7/29/06 AM

This is follow-up ride to a tour I gave to some fellow dirt novices a few weeks ago. I'm extending the invitation to anyone here who wants to tag along...

Saturday (7/29/06), 8am, Thousand Trails Campground Store Parking Lot on Otay Lakes Road (7.3 miles west of the junction of Otay Lakes Road and Hunte Parkway, or 2.3 miles east of the junction of Otay Lakes Road and SR-94).

Nothing continuously steep, treachorous or dangerous; at least not if you are riding at your own pace. Knobbies not required. Everywhere we are going has been done on big twins with 80/20's, but if you are a noob to dirt don't even think about it -- bring your street legal thumper: DR, XL, KLR, Dakar, etc...

(Can·tan·ker·ous hell-raising experienced riders welcome if they are willing to contain themselves and keep an eye out to mentor noobs)

This will be a tame overview of the Otay Mountain Wilderness area, to familiarize you with an area that is available for you to come back and enjoy time and again throughout the year:

Minnewawa Truck Trail

Otay Mountain Truck Trail (east from Doghouse Junction)

Otay Mountain International Border Fuel Break (optional overlook)

optional early exit on Marron Valley Road (for anyone not in the groove by this point)

The "Ridge Road"

Donohoe Spring (optional)

Marron Valley Overlook

Depending upon access:

Tecate Creek and Cottonwood Creek Viewpoint

Kuchamaa Truck Trail Overlook

=====

The area is remote. There is no fuel, no water, no tire repair/towing service -- or facilities of any nature. Bring what you need to sustain life and equipment. We will be up to 7 miles over rugged terrain from any outside help.

I'm working at 10 a.m. that day. Have to pass, but thanks for posting.

I've been looking for an opportunity to glean some of your knowledge of the area :ph34r: I can be a suitable mentor as well, I just need to put the throttle governor on. :P Do you already have some noobs booked, or is this the open invite?I've got your work number and I'll call soon to let you know if I can ditch work on Saturday...

Do you already have some noobs booked, or is this the open invite?

There are two novices so far.

You would be welcome, and as always it is a ride your own ride -- just realize the overall pace will be limited.

In other words no one has to limit their speed in any particular section, but there won't be any pressure on slower riders to keep up.

So if you ride fast you will be taking some breaks at forks and whatnot, and it would be great to have experienced riders rotate on sweep once or twice.

I guess this really isn't any different than usual, I just promised these guys a while back I would put together some rides where they could build confidence, as opposed to picking up their bikes 5 times an hour... :ph34r:

That's how I roll bro... I'll be happy to switch off. I'll give you a call laer today. ;)

Cool. Looks like it was put out on some BMW chatter, so who knows what the mix will end up being now.

There should be time for the advanced riders to do an extra spur or two on top of the International Border Fuel Break.

Posted Image

Damn, you're killin' me !! I can't make it.....again. I've got to do bike maintenance this weekend to get the 950 ready to go to the ADVrider WMRS ride next week up in the Sierra.Did I mention I'm addicted to the Sierra ?!!

We left blood on the mountain, or at least something far more valuable...

...Dakar scrapings

;)

=====

To view Dakar scrapings, goto ADVrider thread

Thanks Craig for showing us some of San Diego's beautiful back country. Can't wait to do it again. Nice group of folks you hang with.Andy

Thanks Craig for showing us some of San Diego's beautiful back country.  Can't wait to do it again.  Nice group of folks you hang with.

Present company included!

It was neat to backtrack and finish the ride down through the clouds. Fortunately not a thunderhead... ;)

Looks like another great ride !! MikeyB says he put some scratches on his new 950 ;)

Looks like another great ride !!  MikeyB says he put some scratches on his new 950  ;)

Yea, I learned a lesson on this one though. Keep It Simple Stupid. It was a meaningless "sidebar" that cut the ride short for two in our group.

After getting up to Doghouse Junction, I wanted everyone to run up to the saddle on the International Border Fuel Break, so I could point out some of the more adventurous spur roads that are available up there that have been excluded from the wilderness area no vehicle policy. Worthwhile info to share and sounded like a reasonable plan.

Between the recent road maintenance and the fog, the lead riders didn't see that they were at the saddle and continued into the fog down one of the ridge spurs.

Riding sweep, my second error was thinking "oh well," it is the easier of the two spurs -- I'll let the noobs continue on until it gets hairy.

The three of us in the rear caught up shortly with MikeyB, who had unfortunately caught his ankle badly when his bike went down. Then the noobs had a few bobbles on the same section, with JohnW really giving the left a good downhill drop on the rocks (is that a new adventure drink?) and broke his clutch lever at the leverage point.

Ride-Orange, AKA "Tie-Wraps MacGyver" got JohnW back on track, and everyone rode their own bikes up out of the hole. MikeyB offered to take JohnW back down the hill, as there was no way he was going to continue with a field repaired clutch lever.

=====

In summary I feel pretty bad about the whole thing because people got directed down a road with no expectation for how severe it got. If I had been at the front instead of sweep we would have stopped before then. If it hadn't been christened an easy ride people might've had their guard up more.

BTW, JohnW got everything fixed and is ready to do it again. That boy is Baja bound in October one way or another. MikeyB sounded like he thought he might be out for a week or two but I really hope this doesn't effect his WMRS ride.

Don't be so hard on yourself Craig. I didn't think it was that bad. John learned a lot that may come in handy in Baja and Mike just had an unfortunate tip over that could have just as easily happened on a much tamer section. I lead the group down the hill and with Visability no more than about 50 feet in places, I chose to continue. Everyone else did as well. If you don't push it till your over your head, your skills will not improve. No one got seriously hurt and that Dakar looks much better with a few scratches. A few more tip overs in the rocks and it might be as pretty as my DR ;)

Don't be so hard on yourself Craig. I didn't think it was that bad. John learned a lot that may come in handy in Baja and Mike just had an unfortunate tip over that could have just as easily happened on a much tamer section...

Thanks. John had already tipped over going up Minnewawa. That's was expected at some point. But in any case, you're right, it was a lesson for all involved really. At anytime, easy ride or not, we can take wrong turns, road conditions can have changed since the last time (washouts, construction, weather). It's all part of learning how to ride smart in the backcountry. It's not Disneyland. ;)

Great ride Craig. BTW Woody is right, every one of us has had to fall in order to learn how not to.

Write-up with a few pics coming soon...

quote;....sandiegoland..

But in any case, you're right, it was a lesson for all involved really. At anytime, easy ride or not, we can take wrong turns, ..... It's not Disneyland.  ;)

......... DIDO.............

My "newbee" ride ended up the same way.....

Posted Image

For all of us that ride here, allways ride at your own skill level...

There is no Shame in not trying something you dont fell your ready for...

Most of us here are just glad your willing to come out and ride with us..

With all the differant kind of bikes that show up, and different rider skills, of course we all have different limitations....

We'll allways have a different way around, and/or will help you walk or ride your bike through anything you think your not ready for...

once again, there is no Shame.!!!!

I'm kinda speaking for the rest of us here..but this is what i've learend from the few rides i've been on...

.Just another member............Kaw'ee.

I have to ECHO the other riders.

All levels of riders are always welcome on all rides. Some rides endup being more difficult and some easy.

The ride wherever it is, will be as fast as the slowest rider. We wait and use a sweeper to check for fallen riders.

The point is to have a good ride and have fun. That is why we have dualsport bikes anyway.

Today I met a potential member with a new (to the rider) Suzuki 650 that was hesitant to post on the power board. We are all Noobs at some time or another. My first ride with the club I just showed up without posting. I was welcomed to join, as are you to ride!

We ride better with practice and learn from our mistakes and other riders. Even the best go down, this noob too!

Soo, come ride with us! Post rides and they will come!

I have had some awesome rides in the past 7 months, anybody riding this weekend??? ;)

Another Noob! :D

BTW a picture is worth a thousand words, Thanks CTT3. Please ride again.

Posted Image

The picture of the year.

I remember that fun ride! CTT3 was a good sport, he kept on going no matter what.. I hope he joins us again in another ride.. Actually, I took the safe way on that little rocky uphill (where CTT3 fell) by walking up my bike. I kind of regret it. I want to take it on next time and build my skill level. I guess I was a little "chicken" as I did not want to drop my brand new husky.. but then again, these bikes are to have fun, scratch them, and enjoy them.. Anyway, all you guys were very helpul! You really feel safe, we are a good bunch.. Kawi was also so helpful with his tools when my bike's rear blinker was falling.. Are we having a morning ride before the bbq?