Yeti

Bike quandry.

I currently have a BMW R1100GS and an XR650L. I use the GS 99% on road and the XR 99% off road riding 2 or 3 times a month.

I have a potential deal on a 2007 R12200GS. It is a demo bike with 81 miles on it. The 1200GS has been my dream bike since they first came out and this one is specced EXACTLY how I would spec it if I was ordering the bike form BMW. The color is even red!!

The quandry: To buy the GS I would have to sell both the old GS and the XR. I thus wouldn't really have what I consider a true "dirt" bike for a while (at least six months, probably more).

So I'm trying to figure out whether to get the new GS.

Thoughts? Could I have serious fun in the dirt on a GS? Would I want to have serious fun in the dirt on a GS?

I currently have a BMW R1100GS and an XR650L. I use the GS 99% on road and the XR 99% off road riding 2 or 3 times a month.

I have a potential deal on a 2007 R12200GS. It is a demo bike with 81 miles on it. The 1200GS has been my dream bike since they first came out and this one is specced EXACTLY how I would spec it if I was ordering the bike form BMW. The color is even red!!

The quandry: To buy the GS I would have to sell both the old GS and the XR. I thus wouldn't really have what I consider a true "dirt" bike for a while (at least six months, probably more).

So I'm trying to figure out whether to get the new GS.

Thoughts? Could I have serious fun in the dirt on a GS? Would I want to have serious fun in the dirt on a GS?

You already know the answer......one bike just won't do the job!!!........don't let rationale thought/maturity/fiscal responsibility cloud your thinking/judgement and bog you down........take out a larger loan so you can get the new bike AND keep the more dirt worthy ride......

I agree with Chris... I got my V Strom thinking I could make do... It doesn't.

I had a KLR at one point, and overwhelmed that bike in the dirt... I know plenty of people make it work, but I couldn't...

It takes AT LEAST 2 bikes to really do it all... If I were to start from scratch, I'd get an 800GS, and a TE610. Both seem like they could do a certain amount of each well... my DRZ and Strom are both OK in one element, and sorely lacking in the other

You already know the answer......one bike just won't do the job!!!........don't let rationale thought/maturity/fiscal responsibility cloud your thinking/judgement and bog you down........take out a larger loan so you can get the new bike AND keep the more dirt worthy ride......

Not an option. Mrs. Yeti will NOT let me take out a loan at this point. <_<

If I could I'd sell both and get the GS and take a loan out on a KTM 530exc

Not an option. Mrs. Yeti will NOT let me take out a loan at this point. <_<

Hey, pull your pants back up will ya.....you're embarrassing me......

Listen Man, you have as much authority as you decide to take (though Valentines Day may not be the best time to execute that authority)

Tell Mama that if she doesn't concede to the deal you'll shave off all the Yeti fur......no more "Sasquatch Love"

Hey, pull your pants back up will ya.....you're embarrassing me......

Listen Man, you have as much authority as you decide to take (though Valentines Day may not be the best time to execute that authority)

Tell Mama that if she doesn't concede to the deal you'll shave off all the Yeti fur......no more "Sasquatch Love"

<_<

I hear ya. Seriously, since I opened my own firm things have been tight. They're finally getting better but she had to sacrifice some things like the maid, gardener, etc. for me to do this and I'd feel really crappy taking out a loan on a bike when she's sacrificed quite a bit. I figure in about 6 months or so things will be good again so . . .

Not an option. Mrs. Yeti will NOT let me take out a loan at this point. :huh:

If I could I'd sell both and get the GS and take a loan out on a KTM 530exc

If you can't be... with the one you love... love the one you're with...

(I meant your bikes, not Mrs. Yeti... of course, I've never met her...)

My wife gave me a "we'll see" on the the 800GS today <_<

Oh sorry Yeti... probably not my most sensitive moment

If you can't be... with the one you love... love the one you're with...

(I meant your bikes, not Mrs. Yeti... of course, I've never met her...)

My wife gave me a "we'll see" on the the 800GS today <_<

Oh sorry Yeti... probably not my most sensitive moment

No worries, my skin is very very thick. Like my sense of humor.

I'm kind of leaning towards waiting for the 800GS right now and hoping I'm better financially then.

bumbles bounce !

sounds like a good plan :)

I have proven this to be true many many times. And not all of them involved beer!! :D

Which plan sounds good?

After sleeping on it, I'm leaning towards selling the two current bikes, getting the 12 and then getting a lighter, more dirt-worthy dual-sport in the fall.

Alternate Plan A: Save yourself a bundle and make a big bore 50hp supermoto KLR instead ! :(

supermoto_klr.jpg

bumbles bounce !

sounds like a good plan :(

I have proven this to be true many many times. And not all of them involved beer!! :D

Which plan sounds good?

After sleeping on it, I'm leaning towards selling the two current bikes, getting the 12 and then getting a lighter, more dirt-worthy dual-sport in the fall.

I thought your plan on waiting until you had the dosh for the 800... then maybe a more dirt worthy bike.

I've ridden a 650L, and I think they are fine for everything except the real tight trails, and, even then, they are capable, just not particularly agile.

every time I see a boxer, I can't get past the cylinders sticking out there, where I normally put my foot while railing a berm... I also think of the times where I've hit the case savers on my single cylinder bike, and picture myself on a twin cylinder teeter totter between a rock and a hard place. But, I know some people take those thhings everywhere, so what do i know?

The most important thing is, to get the bike that floats your boat