Does anybody have any Big Bear tracks to share?  Or any ideas on great routes, areas, locations, trails to ride up there?  It'll be our first time in Big Bear ... 5 vet riders on bikes like a 450X, 500 EXC, XR650R.  No big bikes.  Fast, aggressive pace.  We prefer flowy 2 track, or fast & flowy single track.  We'd prefer to stay away from the super slow techy "trials riding" type stuff.

I just bought the CA Trail Map data (CTM) and I'm using it on my Galaxy S6 with Locus Maps.  The 'overlay/combo' of the Google Terrain map and the CTM data is insane.  Loving it.  Still trying to figure out how to program routes and/or cache maps for offline use.

Thanks for the help,

Troy

I have 2 loops of tracks i got from crawdaddy off advrider that i modified due to closed down trails but there is a decent amount of slow speed rocky stuff pretty hard too, and rest is mainly fire roads with some flow not much as far as fast single track. up there everything is mainly fire roads or semi gnarly rock sections.  if interested shoot me pm with your email. 

I'm not an expert on BB but IMO "fast aggressive pace" is the complete opposite of all that is BB. There's lots of traffic this time of year (mostly slow moving jeeps) especially on weekends. The SxS's are completely out of control in the green sticker areas, expect a power sliding razor coming at you at every blind turn. The main roads all have significant local traffic including cars, pedestrians, bicyclists, etc. The locals do not take kindly to being dusted out, my last ride there I had a water bottle thrown at me despite slowing down to 10 mph while passing them. The popular single track (like redondo ridge) is so rutted and dusty that you need expert level skill to go fast, even then I wouldn't describe it as "flowy". Don't get me wrong, BB is awesome especially during the week. I'm just trying to caution you that you might be disappointed if you arrive expecting wide open trails you can really hammer. My favs are the single track climbing out of devils pond, and the run down from Arrowhead to Silverlake. Have fun!

@ HotRod82 great intel - thx a ton for the input.  I think we'll head a little farther north to stretch out our legs up in Mammoth.

17 hours ago, Bp619 said:

I have 2 loops of tracks i got from crawdaddy off advrider that i modified due to closed down trails but there is a decent amount of slow speed rocky stuff pretty hard too, and rest is mainly fire roads with some flow not much as far as fast single track. up there everything is mainly fire roads or semi gnarly rock sections.  if interested shoot me pm with your email. 

I keep hearing about how rocky BB is ... hmmm .... not liking that very much.

....and just FYI...the Big Bear Run is happening this weekend, put on by the Big Bear Trail Riders. There will be 100+ riders up there. Heads-up for oncoming traffic!

1 hour ago, EddieEarl said:

@ HotRod82 great intel - thx a ton for the input.  I think we'll head a little farther north to stretch out our legs up in Mammoth.

I hope I didn't come across as being too negative, I didn't mean to steer you away from BB. The area around Bishop is awesome, Baker creek and the Coyote flats area have some really fun (faster) trails. 

1 hour ago, EddieEarl said:

I keep hearing about how rocky BB is ... hmmm .... not liking that very much.

Yup there is some cool 2 track up there we found especially 1 trail near holcolm but then every couple miles would be a creek bed with crazy rocky section then back to flowing 2 track. All single track we found was pretty nasty only part flowing was just out of devils hole. Its a fun area i plan to get back soon but if you're trying to avoid rocks not the best place for your type of riding and pace its gonna force you to stay on the very populated jeep forest roads

1 hour ago, HotRod82 said:

I hope I didn't come across as being too negative, I didn't mean to steer you away from BB. The area around Bishop is awesome, Baker creek and the Coyote flats area have some really fun (faster) trails. 

Not at all, brother.  I appreciate the input.  We've never been to BB.  There's a group of about 5-7 of us that have a 4 day weekend blocked off to go ride.  We just need to pick a spot.  We thought about BB but between yours and other reports I read (including one from rider-planet which said BB was basically fully of rocks) as well as the fact that two of my buddies only have red sticker bikes, we really can't even do BB now (no red sticker from MAY-SEPT in BB).  Mammoth is where we need to go ... more open, fast, flowy, and year round red stickers are good to go.  Thx again for the input. 

Let us know how mammoth goes and share tracks if you get a good loop in

1 hour ago, HotRod82 said:

The area around Bishop is awesome, Baker creek and the Coyote flats area have some really fun (faster) trails. 

We're thinking about bringing up our toyboxes, or possibly even just trucking the bikes up and tenting it.  Any good RV / Tent camp spots you could recommend?  We don't mind trucking bikes to the trailhead each day to ride either.  We're not the type of group who needs to camp way deep in the wilderness just to avoid every living soul, but we'd also prefer not to camp in downtown Mammoth.  Camping just 'close enough' to town has its benefits ... like hot pizza, cold beer, and of course after being with dudes all day quite frankly its nice to see some cute female types ... nothing like hot mammoth ladies ... yoga pants are an extra.  OK, I digress.  Any great camp spots would be appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Bp619 said:

Let us know how mammoth goes and share tracks if you get a good loop in

Absolutely.  Would love to.  In fact, I was going to record and send to Lee with CA Trail Map.  That guy is freaking awesome.  His data/trails are incredible and he's personally helped me get my system all set up after purchase.  I'm now dialed in on my samsung S6 with Locus maps using cached Google Terrain and Satellite maps for offline use along with his transparent maps.  Incredible setup.  I also use ViewRanger which gives me a lot more functionality to pre-plan via the PC, but the data/trails available with CTM is beyond anything else.  Since Lee doesn't have Mammoth trails yet I was going to record and send his way.  Either way, whatever I track/record I'll share here for sure.

I've stayed at Brownstown campground and it is decent, only $30 a night with electrical and water. Located about a mile south of Bishop on 395.