Sign in to follow this  
Mikey777

Charging 990 Battery via hot ACC-1 wire?

The KTM 990 Adventure has two accessory wire connections:  ACC-1 and ACC-2.  ACC-1 is connected to the 12v cig. lighter socket and is always hot.  The ACC-2  is hot only when the ignition is in the on position.  The ACC-2 connection is free and can be used to hardwire various accessories and is mostly used for a GPS.

I am going to swap the ACC-2 wire over to the 12v outlet so that I have a free, always hot ACC-1 connection for various devices- GPS, cell phone charging, heated vest, etc. and am not limited by a cigarette lighter adapter connection. 

So here is the question,I was reading on ADV Rider that you can charge your battery via the always hot ACC-1 connection when it is free.  From an electrical engineering standpoint, is this a safe practice especially considering the small gauge wires that are used in the manf.'s harnesses?  I am not an electrical guy, but my gut says probably a bad idea. Is it?  

(Yes, I could just add a charging connection to the battery.  However, the battery on the 990 is low and down in front, so if I ran charging a connection off the + and - battery terminals, the charging connection wire has to be really long for me to get it someplace that is useable/practical.  Some guys have a small cable they keep in the skid plate, but then you have to pull the skid plate off to access it, which is not very practical. Also, most charging connection wires are too short and will only make it about half way up the bike.  So if I can charge via the ACC-1 connection safely, problem solved.) 

I hooked up the sae connector to my acc 1 and charge from it using a battery tender trickle charger and no problems. Im sure if i used a 50amp quick start charger it would blow fuse or melt wires but a standard battery tender is very low amps

• Thanks for the input. I also was only going to use a trickle charger for the safety reasons you addressed. 
  • I also added an SAE connector to ACC-1.  More versatile than the 12v outlet.

That's how mine has been wired since I got it and, according to the previous owner, how he's had it since he got it.  SAE connector of ACC-1.  I have an outlet wired with an SAE connector in my tank bag.  When I ride, I can plug that into the SAE connector and then use it to charge whatever devices need charging.  Good stuff.