Levvy

Otay Mountain - Sat. the 2nd

I'm going to try and follow SanDiegoLand's tracks for the Otay Truck Trail (and surrounding area) this Sat. if anyone wants to come along. I'm fairly new, and I'll be riding a KLR, and this will be my first time using a GPS, so the pace should be pretty moderate :blink:

You can see SanDiegoLand's report and get the tracks here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread....highlight=diego

I'm going to try and follow SanDiegoLand's tracks for the Otay Truck Trail (and surrounding area) this Sat. if anyone wants to come along. I'm fairly new, and I'll be riding a KLR, and this will be my first time using a GPS, so the pace should be pretty moderate :blink:

where is the parking spot and what time you going?

I'm going to try and follow SanDiegoLand's tracks for the Otay Truck Trail (and surrounding area) this Sat. if anyone wants to come along. I'm fairly new, and I'll be riding a KLR, and this will be my first time using a GPS, so the pace should be pretty moderate ;)

where is the parking spot and what time you going?

I am up for this as well. Just let me know time and meet point.

The route up the west side keeps changing. The Kuebler Ranch gate has been closed for some time. The track as shown may be fenced off now. If so just go north on Alta road just a bit a take the road past the Calpine Plant, N32 34.483 W116 55.144, and you'll probably see where the Border Patrol hops the curb. If it's your first time it might be easier to find your way out that way.

The easiest place to meet is Thousand Trails on Otay Lakes Road. From there it's just up Minnewawa Truck Trail to the top.

The route up the west side keeps changing. The Kuebler Ranch gate has been closed for some time. The track as shown may be fenced off now. If so just go north on Alta road just a bit a take the road past the Calpine Plant, N32 34.483 W116 55.144, and you'll probably see where the Border Patrol hops the curb. If it's your first time it might be easier to find your way out that way.

The easiest place to meet is Thousand Trails on Otay Lakes Road. From there it's just up Minnewawa Truck Trail to the top.

Thanks for the tip - I'm riding the KLR down so I wasn't thinking about staging areas :)

Everyone, we'll meet at the north end of the Minnewawa TT, where it hits Otay Lakes Road at 10am.

Google Map: http://tinyurl.com/2gwlbp

Also, does anyone know if green sticker bikes are allowed on these trails? I have a friend who wants to come along but I didn't know if it was legal for him to ride these with a green sticker.

Thanks for the tip - I'm riding the KLR down so I wasn't thinking about staging areas :)

Everyone, we'll meet at the north end of the Minnewawa TT, where it hits Otay Lakes Road at 10am.

Google Map: http://tinyurl.com/2gwlbp

I have ridden there with other riders on green sticker bikes, quads, three wheelers, you name it. They just can't go off the trail and on to any connecting roads.

don't wait on me, if I'm not there at 10 go ahead without me. I'm a maybe.

Sounds good. So far we're looking at:

In:

Levvy

Bruce

BBQ.Will

XTSteve

Maybe:

Spaugh

Morgan (friend from work)

I can be reached at 619-992-5394

In:

Levvy

Bruce

BBQ.Will

XTSteve

Maybe:

Spaugh

grantzilla?

Would love to go, but have Tae Kwon Do at 12. Probably hit it Sunday as long as the weather is not total junk. Superbowl aint got 2 wheels and a motor so I aint interested.

In:

Levvy

Bruce

BBQ.Will

XTSteve

Maybe:

Spaugh

Will be there and ready to ride @ 10:00 am. 619.322.4967

I was all excited until I saw you were all going Sat. bummer I have to work so I can go to the desert next weekend oh well . Hey Brad keep that sprocket bolt tight my friend we will ride again

anyone else gonna truck it out? where you guys going to park your truck if you do?

I have some friends at work who are trailering their bikes down. If you look at where Minniwanna TT meets Otay Lakes Road (Satellite mode on google maps), there is a camp there we can park at (according to SanDeigoLand).

anyone else gonna truck it out? where you guys going to park your truck if you do?

ya, i'm gonna truck it. There looks like there are houses or something like that in the area; I figured I'd just find a spot on a side street, dirt lot, etc, not far from the meet up spot.

Thanks for showing up everyone - We had a much larger turnout then I expected! I'll put some of my pics up soon. I plan on going back sometime this spring - there were a lot of cool-looking spur trails I didn't have time to explore.

wow, some amazing views on this ride:) The main trail was scenic, but i was always a bit wary of the blind corners, and oncoming offroaders/border patrol. The traffic was minimal, but all it takes is one overly aggressive blind corner to make a good hood ornament outta yas....or a nice flight down a sheer cliff:P. The side trails were a blast though, as i snuck off to explore whenever i got the chance. I cant wait to head back, there were so many cool looking trails i was unable to hit due to trying to stick to the group. There must have been 10-15 of us out there, im amazed we didnt lose anyone:) Good times, hopefully we can get back out there one of these weekends and explore a bit more, say meet up at 9am and move out at 9:30 imo! oh btw, i was the guy on the big ugly honda that needed a push start to get going :) thx for the pics zina...peace luke