Sign in to follow this  
Bluhdow

DRZ 110 Petcock & Carb

Okay, if y'all haven't figured this out by now I'm going to let you in on a little secret: I like to take things apart. Frequently, they don't go back together exactly the same way. It's a known issue and I'm working on it.

Moving on:

I took apart the carb on my DRZ 110 to both clean it and figure out how it works. In this experiment a couple of things happened:

1. Okay, step one - turn off the fuel and bleed out the fuel in the carb. Well...it never stopped bleeding gasoline. It just kept on coming which tells me one of two things: 1. I need a new petcock or, 2. I need to repair my current petcock. Is there any way to tell if a replacement or repair is required? I originally assumed replacement but a search turned up a bunch of "Petcock repair kits." Is it possible that this in indicative of a different problem, or is it almost certainly the petcock? Does it really matter? What's the negative of gasoline essentially being "on" permanently in these little engines.

2. I cleaned everything up and put it all back together. Yay! Good news: the bike starts. Bad news: it only starts when I apply some throttle and it won't idle. What did I mess up? I tried tinkering with the idle adjustment and no luck. Any ideas? Is this something that can be adjusted externally or will I have to pull it all apart again?

Let me know if you need more info to diagnose.

Thanks everyone!

Just found this in the manual:

"Turn the air screw all the way in and then back it out 1 1/4 turns."

I definitely didn't do that. I was tinkering with I thought was the air screw but I could be wrong. Would that make sense given my problem?

I would just replace petcock should be able to find one on Internet for $10, if you don't replace and float in carb isn't working right your motor will fill up with the fuel from tank. Don't ask me how I know, happened 3 times until I stopped being lazy and replaced petcock and fixed float.

Yup try the air screw otherwise I would take out the carb again and go threw all over again and make sure to poke small welding wire or air threw the Jets to make sure they are all clear.

Turned out to be the air screw. Easy fix. 1.25 turns out and it fired right up.

Petcock is in the mail.

Thanks!