darylhunter

Steering Damper suggestions for 2015 KTM 500 EXC

Keep forgetting to post on this subject. I would like to add a steering damper to my new 500 EXC, but there are a couple options.

I've never run a damper on a dirt bike before, so any info would be appreciated.

My old DRZ400E and the Husky TE510 were OK without a damper, but the KTM front end seems more nervous generally, and certainly does deflect a bit easier when bouncing over the bigger rocky stuff.

The steering dampers I've run on road race bikes were different critters and didn't have high and low speed damping adjustments. Note: always remove any clicks of damping added during a race on the cool down lap, or the potential for much excitement exists when entering the pits (I can elaborate if need be).

There is also the issue of bar risers and that sort of thing that I didn't have to deal with on the sport bikes.

So, brand suggestions, mounting suggestions, tuning suggestions - all are welcome.

Scotts has high and low speed adjusters. Ive run both gpr and scotts on several different bikes. The scotts is definitely a better product in that it rarely leaks and they have the high speed low speed adjust. Gpr is good too and they are local and will fix leaks for free but I still prefer the scotts. You can get above or below bar mounts for both. BRP makes all kinds of nice scotts mounts.

Also, if you feel the bike is not handling the way you want, you may want to get the suspension set up well before getting a stabilizer. Get the sag right and just the forks to give more trail to make it more planted. And possibly a revalve if you are doing lots of rock crawling.

When setting the stabilizer up, you really don't want to notice it is there or you will just be fighting it. With the scotts you can disable the low speed and only have itvwork when the bars yank at a high speed. This is a VERY nice feature. I can't tell you how many other people's GPR equipped bikes I have gotten on and start riding get going fast having a good time then go to turn and have an oh sh$t moment because the person has their damper turned way up. It is downright scary. Turn those dampers down guys!!!

+ 1 on the BRP mounts. I'm running Scott's on a sub mount with dampening/rubber inserts and with the hand guard mounts. All kinds of cool options from them.

you guys called it. Ive used Scotts, WER and currently have a GPR on my TE300 Husky. all are well built and do the job required. The Scotts for me was great because the low setting was almost nil dampening. My current GPR set up even at the lowest setting (where I ride 99%) is still in serious dampening valving. The WER I had was set very light and I never changed that, it was the under number plate above the fender set up, nice and out of the way. I am completely satisfied with all of them and Having Randy and GPR crew right here in Otay is great along with their customer service being top tier. But as far as placing in my list for all attributes I will say 1 Scotts (Ohlins incidently), 2 GPR 3 WER.

PS if the web is unclear get on the phone and call these companies all have been all about customer service and always helpful when I have called them.