Sign in to follow this  
sandiegoland

Lawson Peak / Carveacre Road

Anyone familiar with riding by Lawson Peak via Carveacre Road?I plotted some tracks I want to try sometime. I recall the road joining from Japatul Lyons Valley Road is pretty rutty but maybe doable on my DRZ.

sandiegoland Posted on Jun 30 2006, 10:23 AM   Anyone familiar with riding by Lawson Peak via Carveacre Road?

I made that ride from Lyons Vly to Lawson peak a few months ago. It was alot of ruts, big rocks. It was 95 that day and after the ride up, I turned and went back down to Lyons. It was challanging. The route I was on headed towards Skyline Truck. There was a turn that headed towards Japatul. It would be a good ride for a small group when It COOLS.Where is Carveacre Road? :)

Where is Carveacre Road? :)

From your description that sounds like the same roads I was thinking of, just that you didn't make a loop out of it. Here's a link to get to Carveacre Road, scroll south a bit and you can follow it to Lawson Peak and also find the un-named road that goes down to Japatul Lyons Valley Road.

Thanks, I saw that. Hope the BBQ is fun.

I already committed a few weeks back to take some fellow noobs through Otay on Sunday morning, very much doubt I could trick them into getting that far East that fast... :)

Just got back from doing the Lawson Peak Road/trail. Tracked the route going through north, and also picked up Sycuan Truck Trail to finish off the loop. I translated your comments to mean "bring ice water" :D

It was definitely a challenging trail. Challenging to ride well that is. I can't say I got out of 1st gear much, but I made it upright. I had to stop numerous times to pick a good line. The good thing is you get a sampling of how steep the trail is right away. Not how rocky and what-not, but the first hundred yards give you a fair glimpse of the kind of climbing you'll do.

I really need more practice and possibly getting some suspension work to do that kind of trail well.

Okay, maybe just a lot more practice... :)

GPS file & photos: Carveacre Road and Sycuan Truck Trail

Cool trail! I rode it yesterday and explored the left turn at the top, it dead ends at a locked gate. Turned around and continued toward Japatul and the trail got a lot easier. Wound-up on Japatul Rd. and headed back to the homestead.I've been wanting to check this trail out for many years and finally did it! Thanks for the motivation guys!

Glad you enjoyed it! I took a few pics but found these that were a whole lot better:

a little carveacre run with the sd crew

hey san diego crew, carveacre sunset run? (goto bottom of 2nd page)

4WD getting rescued

That road you explored that hit a locked gate was Wiseacre Road. The middle is a private ranch, so it's locked a few miles in from the other side (from Skyline Truck Trail) also.

Hey sandiegoland, I looked at the pictures in the links you posted. All I can say is that Carveacre in a new 4x4 looks expensive.

...Carveacre in a new 4x4 looks expensive.

Definitely could be.

I ran Carveacre Road again on Sunday morning, cutting my time in half. There are a few good size ditches I still didn't hesitate to stop and ponder, but the majority of the road is "readable" at speed now that I am getting used to how the the thing is eroded.

I have to say too, after riding through the Otay BLM area, Carveacre Road (which is Forest Service) is immaculate. I found only three pieces of trash the whole way, none of which looked intentionally discarded.

Once out of the Forest area, if you continue on Carveacre Road to Japatul Road it can get a tad boring, as I like to keep my speed down near residences -- it takes a while to wind through and get back to the road. For practice I might start heading back down like carguy did when he did it. More "riding" time so to speak! :blink:

FYI, I'm likely going to squeeze in a ride late Friday afternoon (7/21/06). I can get to either Minnewawa TT or Carveacre Road by 4:30pm.

I'm in. I'm coming from Eastlake so I could make either of those locations by 4:30.

I've never ridden Carveacre, so I'd rather go there, but anyplace is fine.  Just post here and let me know where you want to meet up.

Know where the Lyons Valley Trading Post is? It's in the shade and not a bad place to hang out if you have to wait for ten minutes... :huh:...or I have to wait for ten minutes... :blink:

Thanks for a challenging ride. It was good practice.

Yea, we got our money's worth out of that road!! :ph34r: It was good to meet you. We'll have to work some more rides in... test out your new 650 when you get it! :P