Sign in to follow this  
RogerTOWM

Paper work-documents for Baja?

I was just looking out my window at the back yard. I have several trees and they are loosing their leaves now. The yard needs to be raked and the trees desperately need to be trimmed. :(

All this yard work got me to thinking; what do I need to go south of the Border? I’m talking paper work wise. I know that I’ll need to prove I’m a citizen when I come back, (passport). But what do the Mexicans want to see? If I remember correctly I don’t need a visa as long as I don’t go to Baja Sur. I will need a copy of my registration and Insurance for Mexico. That’s about all I can think of, is there anything else?

Where do you guys get your Mexican auto (motorcycle) insurance? My insurance company doesn’t provide for riding in Mexico. Should I just go to one of those kiosks by the border and get insurance for the days I will be there? Or if I go several times over the year would it be cheaper (and less hassle) to buy insurance for the whole year? Does triple A carry this type of insurance?

It’s funny how yard work makes me think of leaving the country! ;)

I was just looking out my window at the back yard. I have several trees and they are loosing their leaves now. The yard needs to be raked and the trees desperately need to be trimmed. :P

All this yard work got me to thinking; what do I need to go south of the Border? I’m talking paper work wise. I know that I’ll need to prove I’m a citizen when I come back, (passport). But what do the Mexicans want to see? If I remember correctly I don’t need a visa as long as I don’t go to Baja Sur. I will need a copy of my registration and Insurance for Mexico. That’s about all I can think of, is there anything else?

Where do you guys get your Mexican auto (motorcycle) insurance? My insurance company doesn’t provide for riding in Mexico. Should I just go to one of those kiosks by the border and get insurance for the days I will be there? Or if I go several times over the year would it be cheaper (and less hassle) to buy insurance for the whole year? Does triple A carry this type of insurance?

It’s funny how yard work makes me think of leaving the country! ;)

I'm pretty sure AAA does offer Mexican insurance.......but it's easier to just sit down at your computer, surf the net for Mex insurance online, pay the fee, and print out the insurance doc at your home or office......I can't remember who I used last time :(:D

Other than that, always good to have some $ingles in addition to local currency.....I also carry a photo copy of important phone numbers, translation sayings (for this limited espanol Gringo), etc. from my Baja GPS guide that I purchased from Kasey Smith (AKA, "the Lizard Lady") years ago.....her website has a checklist of Packing for Baja Helpful reminders

I bought my most recent policy through AAA. It was about $75 for six months for liability only for a DR200 and about $20 more for the same policy for a DRZ400. I haven't bought a policy for the DRZ400 yet, but I got a quote when I was going to take a trip to Mexico which was later cancelled.

A six-month or one-year policy is the best way to go since the daily rate is somewhere around $15 per day.

There was a recent thread on ADV rider about Mex Insurance. It seems the cheapest way to go is through http://www.mexadventure.com/. ($138 for one year for a V-Strom) I'm going to try this option for my next policy.

CHECK OUT DISCOVER BAJA THEY'RE ON CLAIRMONT MESA AND SELL CHEAP INS. ALSO THEY RENT SAT PHONES. I ALWAYS GET A BI-NATIONAL COMMITEE CARD FOR MEDICAL EMERGENCIES, ONLY $35.

Thanks for the info guys. When I get ready to go I think I'll get the long term insurance. :blink: If you've seen me ride you know that I'll need to check out the medical also. :pilot: