EastcountyKTM and I did a 78 mile loop around South Anza-Borrego. I learned that I can go about 70 miles before the low fuel light comes on, about 75 and it starts missing. I did plan ahead and had an MSR bottle with me.

I went down pretty good in a silt pocket, a little sore and bruised up this morning, but nothing major. Bike looks fine and started right up after. It'll get a good inspection this after noon.

2 pics to tease with, GPS track and video later.

post-15354-0-76722100-1420379684_thumb.j

post-15354-0-16013400-1420379699_thumb.j

Brian, it was good riding with you yesterday. I'm glad to hear you're not too sore today after that silt monster got you. When I saw your bike in the air upside down I was worried what I was going to find when the dust cleared!

It was also good to meet TrophyHunter in Fish Creek, out in 4 wheels with his son.

Good seeing you, Brian & Jade. Perfect weather and our wives enjoyed exploring a bit. Sorry to hear about the crash....hope all is minimal damage during the assessment.

At the arch in Fish Creek

DSCN1598_zpse95987e8.jpg

Heading into Sandstone Canyon

DSCN1611_zps164fd842.jpg

Squeezing the Tundra through....

DSCN1617_zps11ba4a68.jpg

I've been hearing quite a bit about Fish Creek and Sandstone Canyon. Looking forward to the GPS track. Killer pics. Thanks for the RR.

Do you guys trailer out there? If so, where's the trailhead you take off from?

I've been hearing quite a bit about Fish Creek and Sandstone Canyon. Looking forward to the GPS track. Killer pics. Thanks for the RR.

Do you guys trailer out there? If so, where's the trailhead you take off from?

We trailered out, parked in the dirt lot by the Cheveron in Ocotillo. Made for a 78 mile loop.

You think its possible to get out to Fish Creek and Sandstone Canyon with a two wheel drive pickup? I have a little 4x4 Toyota but couldn't fit the kids in there to get the whole fam out there.

Absolutley. My Tundra is 2WD - Limited Slip Dif. I saw a Toyota Camry driving well in Fish Creek and one of those little Fiats doing it World Rally Championship style so, yeah.

Nice post. I'll have to learn how to use that product as it really lays out a ride nicely. Hope the bike and rider healing is quick!

Very cool, Brian. Very cool.

Brings a few questions to mind:

1. I assume the vid & pics are from a GoPro, but did you somehow sync it together with your Garmin, or did you just pick where to insert the pics/vids from the GoPro into the GPS track?

2. Is there a way to get the GPS data from this so I could upload to another GPS device like an InReach?

3. I'm just using my phone for GPS right now but it drains battery fast, so I'm in the process of choosing a GPS unit to use. I'm hoping to get one with EMS/SOS capabilities as well. Does your Garmin work this way?

EddieEarl,

1. I believe Brian was using an Ion camera, if it is like my Contour camera it logs GPS location with the video.

2. If Brian isn't able to get the GPS track for you I believe I have it on my GPS, if I remembered to start the tracking? I will check. Can you follow a track with an InReach?

3.Everybody has their favorite GPS device. I use the Garmin Etrex model and it has served me well for many years. I know it is rugged, it has been through thousands of miles of off road mounted to my bike and hasn't missed a beat yet.

Very cool, Brian. Very cool.

Brings a few questions to mind:

1. I assume the vid & pics are from a GoPro, but did you somehow sync it together with your Garmin, or did you just pick where to insert the pics/vids from the GoPro into the GPS track?

2. Is there a way to get the GPS data from this so I could upload to another GPS device like an InReach?

3. I'm just using my phone for GPS right now but it drains battery fast, so I'm in the process of choosing a GPS unit to use. I'm hoping to get one with EMS/SOS capabilities as well. Does your Garmin work this way?

1. Drag and drop operation... if your video is Geotagged it will be placed in the map automatically.

2. I don't know if you can DL it directly from the website, but you can get it here... https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6JX-m5eUMmzZWx5OWFxR1Zibm8/view?usp=sharing

3. I have an On spot attached to the shoulder strap of my backpack for SOS, and use a Garmin Zumo 350 for nav and route tracking. There have been notable issues with an SOS device attached to the bike rather than the rider. Make sure you can get to it if separated from the machine, or injured with it in my backpack I wasn't sure I could get to it to push the buttons if I was actually hurt. Now it sits in easy reach on the left strap of my pack.

Right on guys - thanks very much.

So, I'm headed back to Moab this April for a 2nd trip. We plan on doing an overnight deep into Canyonlands and I need to get my SOS/EMS & GPS situation figured out. And after looking at Brian's RR on the Garmin Adv site I think i should also add the ability to geotag pics/vids. How bitchin.

I've been using a GoPro for years and love making vids of trips (the memories are almost just as fun as the ride ... and over time they're probably going to be more fun to watch). I've never heard of the GoPro being able to geotag. I need to figure that out ...

Seems like a great solution would be:

1. GPS - some Garmin unit b/c they tend to be the leader of the pack here

2. Communication - the InReach is $300 plus another $200 at least for a plan and it gives a person 2 way texting ability via Satellite. Pretty nice feature, but it's really spendy.

3. Pic/Vid GPS tracking - definitely convenient to just drag/drop onto the Garmin Site.