Guest Hammerin Hammon

Why I dont ride SUPER MOTOO

Guest Hammerin Hammon

First of all my wife is a NURSE. She has worked in the hospitol and taken care of lots of crippled road reacers.

One of my best friends I surf with is a doctor, (anasteisiologist) I cant spell but I try. During his intern he told me of all the road racers he had to keep alive while they remove body parts.

I have read 3 posts about SUPER MOTO rides were people crashed.(I rode with someone TODAY who complained of shoulder pain from one of the crashes I read about here on this site.)

I am constantly reading about people getting killed on P.M.

I have three kids and a wife.

So count me out.

CRAIG. :blink:

You're absolutely right about Palomar... especially at anything close to race speed... save it for the track. slow moving trucks, pissed off locals, and squids (no relation to our proud military men and women) are a good enough reason to slow down there...

Supermoto in general, however, normally describes the bike... with some street and dirt thrown in the same ride...

I doubt most of us are backing it into corners at 60 mph, with both feet on the pegs, or doing double jumps on semi-slick tires...

You're absolutely right about Palomar... especially at anything close to race speed... save it for the track. slow moving trucks, pissed off locals, and squids (no relation to our proud military men and women) are a good enough reason to slow down there...

Supermoto in general, however, normally describes the bike... with some street and dirt thrown in the same ride...

I doubt most of us are backing it into corners at 60 mph, with both feet on the pegs, or doing double jumps on semi-slick tires...

Perfectly said, I also have to move right from time to time to let people by. Even porche club and corvette clubs are flying up there.

I'm not skilled enough to "Back it in" or race with anybody on the street or off :blink: And I've got a slow bike so I don't need to impress anyone :D

Like all of you here I love to ride and I honestly try to improve my riding skills on every outing on the road or off.

For me it's all about getting out enjoying the challenges of the different terrain , the riding conditions and having fun with friends.

When I am challenged to race I just shake my head, wave and gesture for the challenger to "Go ahead" in a polite manner.....

I believe that the racing thing should be kept at a track in a controlled enviroment. :lol:

NOW LETS SHUT THE HELL UP AND GO RIDE! ;)

I am constantly reading about people getting killed on P.M.

I live ~30 minutes from Palomar so I generally only head over there on "weekday" afternoons in the warmer months since it gets so crowded on the wekeends and it's too damn cold/slippery in the winter..........(that being said, the battery in my Superhawk is totally dead at the moment because I've only tasken it out once or twice in the last year.....shame on me!)

Another option to ride twisties on a supermoto/road bike this time of year is S22 (Montezuma Grade) down to Borrego Springs.......nice twisties, warmer and MUCH less crowded than Palomar or Banner Grade on the weekends....ride out towards Palomar as you normally do then take a left off 76 onto 79 towards S2/Warner Springs......take a right on S2 and roll down it for a few miles to S22 and hang a left......ride a few more boring/straight miles.......and then the fun begins......go up and down the S22 grade a few times and you'll have a nice smile on your face.....

I doubt most of us are backing it into corners at 60 mph, with both feet on the pegs...

I do... just not on purpose! :blink:

NOW LETS SHUT THE HELL UP AND GO RIDE! :D

Not until I get in my $0.02...

My Supermoto faux pas was exactly that, MINE! I should have known better, rode wiser, or seen around the corner that dropped out on me. I would have had the exact same crash (lay-down) with the knobs on :huh: because I was exceeding my ability on a previously unridden gravel road :fool:

Now then, Mr. Hammerin Hammon, stating that you won't ride Supermoto because you have heard of too many other people who exceeded their personal limit and paid the price (sometimes the ULTIMATE pice), is like saying you're going to quit drinking because you've heard about drunk drivers killing themselves and others out there (and I just can't see THAT happening ;) ). Besides, I really want to see the CR500 with the SM kit on it!!! :D

p.s. nice attempt at anesthesiologist... it's not the quality that counts, it's having the balls to push your comfort zone.

It's all about skill level (and unfortunately, luck).

I know a lot more dirt bike riders who've been bunged up badly than I do sport bike riders, but on the other hand, I know/knew more sport bike riders who've been killed on the street or track than dirt bike riders.

I rode Palomar hard for years without incident, and while on a good Sunday there were usually 3 - 5 crashes on the tight side, the injuries were usually mild.

Since '96 I'm only aware of 5 fatalities, but there may be more that I haven't heard of. Only one of which was caused by their own riding - the others had an assist from other traffic.

I quit riding there after having the kids because of a couple close calls where people blew the double yellow and came at me head on. Having a responsibility to raise the kids I decided to go full time on the dirt for a while.

All that said, I had fun riding Palomar and other roads and I think that it can be done safely and responsibly - excluding that there will always be the element of risk because of other traffic out there. If you're OK with that, then have a ball.

After all, if you know what you're doing, it isn't that much different than blasting down Heart Attack hill around other riders, right?