wcgiv

North County Ride Monday 10/6

I am planning to ride the High Point TT down from the north continuing onto the Palomar Divide TT. Then hitting the road to Black Canyon rd.

I am a fairly new rider so pace is slow, and i have only ridden parts of the Palomar TT. I will be leaving Vista around 8am getting to the RV park by 9ish.

I will be on a DR650.

Bill

Hey Bill. I'm seriously considering changing my schedule for this if I can. I'm a long time street rider, just getting used to my new to me KLR650. Have you ridden these roads before, ie are you sure they're open? Would 9:30a work for you?

Hey Bill. I'm seriously considering changing my schedule for this if I can. I'm a long time street rider, just getting used to my new to me KLR650. Have you ridden these roads before, ie are you sure they're open? Would 9:30a work for you?

I rode 2 weeks ago. I came from the south and got onto the divide trail. I was going to only ride half of the trail and cut out on oak grove but that part was gated. I have done some looking on line and looks like you enter at the rv park get onto highpoint TT it goes right into the divide trail.

Long story short I am pretty confident that we will be able to ride straight thruogh.

930 should be good. Let me know

Thanks for the post, invite, & 9:30 switch. I'm in Bill. Look forward to meeting you. Hopefully some other NoCo types can make it. We n00bs won't be boring...at least I'm always fun to watch!

Just to confirm, the meet up is at Hwy 79 & 371 area, Rancho California RV Resort, correct? I'm really looking forward to this.

I rode 2 weeks ago. I came from the south and got onto the divide trail. I was going to only ride half of the trail and cut out on oak grove but that part was gated. I have done some looking on line and looks like you enter at the rv park get onto highpoint TT it goes right into the divide trail.

Long story short I am pretty confident that we will be able to ride straight thruogh.

930 should be good. Let me know

Yes it does! You can also make a right at the intersection and go to the top of the mountain to check out the fire look out tower.

Highpoint is a bit tougher than Palomar Divide, especially going up hill.

Have fun!

"Hey You", Let us know if that is something for a Big bike (BMW 1150). I have this on a List (Runes need to be done). Ride save.

I've ridden it on a 990 easily enough so I'm sure you could do it on your GSA, JAJA. It's not overly difficult and could probably be driven up in a honda civic with some careful line choices. :)

I've ridden it on a 990 easily enough so I'm sure you could do it on your GSA, JAJA. It's not overly difficult and could probably be driven up in a honda civic with some careful line choices. :)

I like it. :lmaosmiley::lmaosmiley::lmaosmiley:

Good ride today Bill IMHO, I hope your opinion too. Glad you brought along Doug. Good to meet you both. SDAR, don’t think these guys who just bought the Suzy 650 (weeks ago) and Suzy 400 (days ago) are total n00bs. They have some motorcycling experience, and (wait for it…) they are mountain bicyclists! Give them engines and they are very capable. They must have been thinking, “Oh Wow! We can go up the hills faster! And we’re not even winded!” For myself, I was able to pick up a grapefruit on Palomar Truck Trail of all places. No wait a minute…that’s my left knee. Bill, thanks for the invite, watching out for me as a true n00b, and all the… er..ah…help picking up my bike. As in KLR650, not bicycle. Good day, guys. And Oracle, thanks for your input pre ride. It help confirm where we were heading.

Vacman; Come on! With a Honda Civic! Well, actually YES! In fact because of a lot of 4-wheel experience I think one probably could get a sedan up here. I should have taken that instead of my “big” KLR650! Something about 155 LB (stupid diet) and being 5’8”.

Glad you had fun. Sorry to hear about your knee! Not sure if you had gear on, but I never ride without knee protection. Too easy to screw something in even a minor getoff. Of course, I typically wear full gear even when it's 90+ outside. :)

A KLR probably isn't the best bike to be honing fledgling off-road skills on. You need something light, well-sprung and agile. All things a KLR...isn't. Haha. Once you succumb to the addiction let us know and we'll find you a suitable small bike to ride those same roads with. You'll be blown away how much more fun (and how much less work!) that same ride can be.

I hear ya Vacman, and thanks for the thoughts. When I started the ride, wcgiv & his friend didn't say anything about my choice of bikes. By the end of the day, they were kind enough to have mentioned "250" about two dozen times! My plan was to choose the KLR because, with my road travels, I want (wanted?) something that I can do freeways to get around CA, AZ, & NZ, then to the rough stuff. Off road KLR is a handful for me. But also, the KLR sure can eat freeways. (I know. It's no Beemer. I also know I'd probably kill myself on one of those beauties.) Vibrations are good for you! Why buy a fancy chair? BTW, yes, I was wearing pretty good full gear. Thanks for that mention too. I always do ATGATT, even on short hops on the road.

HA! This is great. I typed "NZ" (another dream) instead of NV. Honest, I'm not a complete dope. Before I retired I ran a very responsible business! I just haven't grown up yet.

Your welcome, glad ya'll had a good time.

As far as bikes selection....there is no ideal bike...just forget trying. I've always said I need at least 5 bikes just to cover the basics. A Harley, an Adventure bike, a dual sport bike, a sport bike, and an mx/desert bike.... :smile_anim:

Good ride today Bill IMHO, I hope your opinion too. Glad you brought along Doug. Good to meet you both. SDAR, dont think these guys who just bought the Suzy 650 (weeks ago) and Suzy 400 (days ago) are total n00bs. They have some motorcycling experience, and (wait for it) they are mountain bicyclists! Give them engines and they are very capable. They must have been thinking, Oh Wow! We can go up the hills faster! And were not even winded! For myself, I was able to pick up a grapefruit on Palomar Truck Trail of all places. No wait a minutethats my left knee. Bill, thanks for the invite, watching out for me as a true n00b, and all the er..ahhelp picking up my bike. As in KLR650, not bicycle. Good day, guys. And Oracle, thanks for your input pre ride. It help confirm where we were heading.

Vacman; Come on! With a Honda Civic! Well, actually YES! In fact because of a lot of 4-wheel experience I think one probably could get a sedan up here. I should have taken that instead of my big KLR650! Something about 155 LB (stupid diet) and being 58.

Thanks Chris, we had a blast too. Nice meeting you.