Sign in to follow this  
Joliet

8 foot bed or 6.5 foot?

I am going to get a new chevy crew cab truck, and I know for everyday driving the 6 1/2 foot bed would be much better for me. Getting in and out of parking lots and parking spots are going to be very difficult with the 8' bed.

Can I get 2 bikes in the back and the tailgate closed with the 6.5' bed? I was thinking if I stick the front wheels in the corners this would work, but I have no practical experience with the short bed.

Lets hear your suggestions. :D Thanks, Ken

two bikes will not allow the 6.5 bed to close... If my last truck was any indication (Ford)

The tailgate had a "partially closed" option that worked well to keep stuff from rolling out

I now have the 5.5 foot bed, and the back tires are right about on the hinge... On my 250 (8 foot bed) I could fit the bikes AND a small quad with the gate closed.

and parking the 8 foot bed (even with just a supercab) was a pain in the rear. The 5.5 bed supercrew parks better than my mini-van...

Ken, I have a F350 supercab with a long bed. I like that diesel, but parking-daily driver-shopping malls, pain in the backside. :D

Why would you have to shut the tailgate of the short bed? If you are not pulling a trailer or using your receiver hitch for any thing else, couldn’t you just leave the tailgate down? If you are worried about anything falling out put a net across the back end. A lot of trucks are driven with the tailgate off or down to reduce wind drag. Am I missing something here or do you just like to show off that big CHEVY sign on the back? :D

Roger

I have a 6 foot bed in my Toyota, and I can get my R1200GS in it if I put it diagonally with the tailgate closed, but barely. If I put it straight, it sticks out about 6 inches, so I think if you had anything the same size or smaller (wheelbase) it would fit in a 6.5 foot bed, anyone else had experience? I'm going to upgrade the Toyota to a full size pickup soon, so it would be good to hear from others :D

DRZ wheelbase is just over 58"... plus half the back wheel (add 9" or so) plus half the front wheel (10.5"), and you come up with 6 feet, 5 and a half inches, not counting the tires... with the front tires straight they won't fit in a 6 and a half foot bed if my math is correct (No- I wouldn't be shocked if my math is wrong )

with each tire jammed in to a corner, you might get close...

an 8 foot bed is a beast... great on the open road, but a major beeyotch parking in the Gaslamp...

and I agree with Roger... bed down, with an extender or a net, and that will keep all your stuff in your bed... I normally bungee everything to the bikes

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Now that I have a 12' foot bed I will never go back to anything less. :D

I am going to get a new chevy crew cab truck, and I know for everyday driving the 6 1/2 foot bed would be much better for me. Getting in and out of parking lots and parking spots are going to be very difficult with the 8' bed.

Can I get 2 bikes in the back and the tailgate closed with the 6.5' bed? I was thinking if I stick the front wheels in the corners this would work, but I have no practical experience with the short bed.

Lets hear your suggestions. :) Thanks, Ken

Beer NOT light beer

Soda NOT Diet Soda

FULL SIZE Vans NOT "Mini" Vans

FULL SIZE Trucks NOT "Mini" trucks

Are you catching the theme??? :huh::blink::lol::lol::lol:

Long Beds NOT Short beds.....

Are you serious?!?!!.......I remember when I bought my trucks the difference between a long bed and a short bed was maybe ~$300.....a no-brainer.......as Hammer would say, "GO BIG"!!!

And once you put a tool box in you STILL have 6.5' of rear bed......

Parking concerns?!!?......BFD.....listen, there really isn't much difference between parking a 17' truck and parking a 18.5' truck.....they're both boats.......dock it and smile

Just my opinion and perhaps worth no more than you paid for it.......zip :D

Chris......proud driver of a Dodge 2500 LONG BED Turbo Diesel :angry:

Ken,

You've seen my Chevy. Mine is the crew-cab short-bed and it's enough of a beast to park as it is. I couldn't imagine the long-bed with the crew cab - even worse if it were the dually. I've made comments about how much of a beast it is to park, and buddies with Dodge or Ford crew cabs don't have that much trouble. I don't know if Chevy's steering isn't as sharp as the others or if the wheelbase is slightly longer, but I have to do the - aim for the next spot, back up, then pull into just about every parking lot spot in southern California. (Have I mentioned that you San Diegans build tiny parking lots?)

As far as two bikes, I haven't tried two with the tailgate closed. I've put my XR-650L with my son's old KLX-125 and was able to close the tailgate, but I think that was because the 125 was tiny. When I load a single bike I usually put it about 10" in from one side and swing the tire over, close the tailgate, then wedge the back tire back against the tailgate. I haven't tried tires in the corners, I'm not sure how I'd securely tie them down that way - the straps would have too steep an angle - maybe I'm just chicken. I might have to give it a try and see - although no two bikes are exactly the same length. My gut feeling is that they won't.

I usually just load them straight and leave the tailgate open. Or take it off if you're pulling a trailer that won't clear the lowered tailgate. I've been looking at these things:

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/prod...1126675,00.html

http://www.vehicle-systems.com/tailgate.htm

and for $50, they might be the ticket for you if the bikes don't fit and you want to close the tailgate partially.

I guess I'm trying to talk you out of the long-bed. Take one for a test-drive. Then try and park the thing at the nearest Wal-Mart. You'll see what I mean... :angry:

All real trucks have 8 foot beds. Simple solution, back into your parking spot. You will find it is as easy to

back a full sized crew cab into a parking spot as it is to pull your car in.

I could load my DRZ and another bike like a KLR-650 in my F-250 with 6.5' bed and close the tailgate.

Just had to angle them slightly, not point them straight out the back.

Same is true with my Husky TE-510, which is even longer than the DRZ.

Angle the bikes and all is well.

All real trucks have 8 foot beds. Simple solution, back into your parking spot. You will find it is as easy to

I almost always back in. My truck has the back up sensors in it and it's a lot easier to back right up to something than it is to drive straight in because the sensors tell me with in a few inches where I am.

On the front end I have to use the braile method :angry:

I think the back up sensors were an option but they're well worth it, I have them on both of my vehicles. And while there's no substitute for paying attention and looking around, with two small kids they are an extra help because there's a huge blind spot back there - I wish the truck had them on the front too.

I currently drive a 3/4 ton extended cab chevy with an 8' box. It has a topper on it so I use my joe hauler to carry my bike currently. It is not difficult to back into a spot but knowing where to stop is. Most of the parking lots I park in you nose up to the car in the next row, not too tough but when they pull a little over my line I am sticking out 4 or 5 feet farther than any other vehicle in the lot. If I back in I can't judge the distance good enough to get to, say within 6" of them without getting out and walking back there and looking.

That back-up sensor sounds like the way to go.

A crew cab with a 6.5 bed will be the same size as the truck I am currently driving, "a beast" but I am used to it. Those little tailgate extenders look pretty cool too.

In the last year I have driven out to Ocotillo, Jacumba, Ocotillo Wells, Banner, McCain, Corral Canyon, Superstition, Pine Valley, ect. many times by my self. With the price of fuel now I need to start carpooling.

Now lets talk ramps. :angry: Ken

Once you start talking ramps you make another argument for the 8' bed......I have two 2"X12" planks in my bed that I've cut off at 7.5' and bolted a ramp tip/end onto (you can buy the ramp tips from J.C. Whitney Here )......the extra foot and a half of length makes for a less steep incline when you have to load/unload in a flat area.....I like using TWO ramps (one for the bike and one to walk on) and that option is easily affordable when you build your ramps using ramp tips/ends

I've tried the backing in thing. I can usually get it in one shot, true (no need to k-turn it in), but I find it easier to just nose in. I'd rather be seeing what I'm doing going into the tight spot rather than seeing what I'm doing pulling into an open area. Plus it makes it easier to load crap into the bed coming out of the store when you're nose in. What I usually do is look for a spot where there are two empty spots next to each other (although that usually requires a little longer walk - which I don't mind by my wife hates) and swing wide - piece of cake.

I did go and pick up a backup camera from Target I believe it was. About $90 or so and it makes backing so much nicer. It's wireless and mounts with the licence plate bolts. I can also hook up the trailers by myself - no more trying to get my son or wife to direct me back!!! :angry:

I think this is the same one I got: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...000000003142050

My truck is an '02, no sensor option available back then.

The only time I've wished for the 8' bed is when towing a gooseneck trailer (or if you were going to buy a 5th wheel toyhauler or something like that). When I jackknife it into tight turns, that trailer gets awfully close to the back window! :blink:

I bought this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=90018

it was on sale for around $75 and works ok. It's pretty short, so it gets steep when you can't find a little bump or ditch to park near. But it's very stable and nice and wide. I have no problem walking next to the bike, clutching it up. I would probably go for something a little longer though - just to make the angle a little lower on flat ground like Crawdaddy says. I was too cheap to spend more and this one was on sale.

I had a bad experience loading a garden tractor on planks. They slipped out and dropped the thing on the ground while I was riding it up. I won't load anything heavy without some way to secure the ramp to the tailgate - Call me chicken... an eye bolt through the plank with a tiedown works ok if you go with planks.

:blink:

Ken, about ramps, I use an Oxlite ramp. It is 44 inches wide and the cross supports are close enough together that you can walk up it. I ride the bike up and walk it down. This ramp is strong enough to hold my Harley Electraglide. :angry: The ramp folds in the middle and fits in the truck bed. I did need to practice loading and unloading with it. I’d rather use this then a skinny rail and a box. I ordered it through Cycle Gear. Roger

http://www.oxlite.com/bifold.htm

I had a bad experience loading a garden tractor on planks. They slipped out and dropped the thing on the ground while I was riding it up. I won't load anything heavy without some way to secure the ramp to the tailgate - Call me chicken... an eye bolt through the plank with a tiedown works ok if you go with planks.

:huh:

Yep, I secure mine to the truck with tie downs to avoid doing the splits :angry::blink:

I have a Rampmaster folding ramp which is arched.

It's nice because even on a tall truck you can load a sportbike with low faring and not bottom out.

It will support something like 1100 lbs and only weighs ~30 lbs. Definitely heavier than a traditional straight ramp but if you have both street and dirt bikes it's something to consider.

It's pricey though. I believe I payed about $230 for it like 7 years ago.

I also know of at least two friends who've had theirs stolen from the back of their truck so I always use a cable lock to secure it while I'm out and about away from the truck.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Now lets talk ramps. :blink: Ken

Once you start talking ramps you make another argument for the 8' bed......I have two 2"X12" planks in my bed that I've cut off at 7.5' and bolted a ramp tip/end onto (you can buy the ramp tips from J.C. Whitney Here )......the extra foot and a half of length makes for a less steep incline when you have to load/unload in a flat area.....I like using TWO ramps (one for the bike and one to walk on) and that option is easily affordable when you build your ramps using ramp tips/ends

Back in my highschool days I had a mini truck, it was a Pre runner with a shell. The shell was strong enough to hold an open class MX. bike on top. I used to ride up a 2" By 12 " 12 feet long on to the top of the shell.

At the races, whenever I would load or unload my bike a big crowd would gather around to watch. :angry: It worked very well, my bike was safe, and I could sleep in the back of my shell.