ok not isde guy time by any means but 7 minutes (New M14 with new S12XC 140/80-18) for a rear last night, always with rear rimlock, and opposite balance weights epoxied onto the rim gorilla tape over the second hole from inside with black rtv sealer from outside (black to match black rims). retired Euro top tier friends said their teams (nat trophy team level) always run rear rimlock (1), rim can spin under loads and with all the goop can keep spinning once it breaks free (for Jon), front no. rim band yes, or tape, lube is zipty racing sourced water based soapy gel grease. Mousses come with one tube of silicone enough for the job, but more is better. Oh yea at least four motion pro euro style compound bend tire irons (I have 5) will help big time.

Mousse= no worry Moose= worry!!!

You guys seem to worry about flats a lot...maybe it's poor riding techniques?

This is uniquely compelling banter coming from the King of Flats - Bermhead Bob!

For me, I've only ever had one front pinch flat hauling butt and hitting a cluster of sharp rocks. I had one front flat from something I picked up on the freeway and two rear flats from baja nails.

I'm interested in Mousse Bibs as I see more baja single track and bushwhacking in my future. I also do a lot of solo riding and flats are lame. I always run 15-18 psi - baja tested/baja proved (until I pick up a rusty nail doh).

After my last ride, I will concede that a rim lock may be a good idea if you decide to use a 3 year old mousse and tire on your bike. While it didn't slow me down, I marked the tire and rim and could see the tire was slipping. When installed new on my Aprilia the same tire and mousse never slipped at all even under a heavier load with a more powerful engine to spin it. A new mousse puts more pressure to the bead and fresh rubber sticks to the rim a lot better than old rubber. The choice is always with the user. I'm going to install the rim lock on the old rubber, but in a few months when I change it out for a fresh tire and mousse combo it will be without.

Your mileage may vary.

btw what are your guys' thoughts on Mousse size for a 120/80-18 tire?

That is the size of the Pirelli MT21 that I typically run but am open to other tire sizes. For the record, I picked up a 120/90-18 Mousse.

CHilly White posted a video stating that he uses the 140/80-18 size for his rears. All of them. Stating it makes the initial install more difficult, but the mousses break down at about the same rate and he get's more use out of the bigger size as there is more rubber foam to break down before it has reached it's service limit. Then he cuts sections from old mousses to build up the middle age mousses.

You'll be fine with the tire and mousse you have. Just use all the lube and take your time with the install. It's a PITA but worth it. Be glad to coach you through.

\

THIRD rear flat from nail/screw in the past 10 months.

post-14322-0-05972500-1433718131_thumb.j

Another HD tube bites the dust. I lost an UHD with the first nail puncture in August.

post-14322-0-71304200-1433718132_thumb.j

I have a front bib mousse sitting on my shelf. Might really be time to buy a rear and get them mounted up.

That, or let somebody else lead so they clean up the trail in front of me..!

After the last ride I noticed a nail in my tire. I pulled out a 3 inch long, bent and rusty nail that had little bits of Bib mousse stuck to it. I have no idea which of the 3 days I rode that weekend I picked it up. When that tire's done that same mousse will support the next tire. It is now 4 years old (your mileage may vary).