Sign in to follow this  
Bagstr

S2 Exploration - Big Bike Handycap

OK, all you Dual Sporters, bear with me as I learn the ways of the Dez. This trip out, I'm looking to explore the "Big Bike Accessable" trails east and west of S2 between Scissors Crossing and Carrizo Badlands Overlook. No, I'm not doing the Pinyon or Diablo Drops! What areas have you found interesting? For my staging/parking area I'm trying to decide between Blair, Butterfield or Vallecito. The concept is to explore until the sand gets too deep and then head back for the next trail. Any suggestions, beside getting a lighter bike?

Dave

PS, I'm learning first hand the difference between a true Dual Sport and an Adventure bike. And, yes the bike is running DOT knobs.

Blair Valley road is a fine trail, not too many sandy parts and almost no rocks to speak of. Two wheel drive passenger cars could make the whole thing, and the scenery is nice too. :D

I just got a new to me 06 640 Adventure and am looking to get in a easy ride to get the feel for the bike. If your headed out this weekend I would be interested in riding. I have experience desert ridding in Mexico so sand I know but don't love. :D

I did the squeeze and dropoff with a 950 like yours. I think you'd be okay, at least you did okay when we went riding last, just feather the clutch in 2nd gear so you can keep your momentum up without grabbing too much power, and then just ease along and keep your elbows up, you should do okay, stand in the sand more, and let the bike shift. Just take your time and find your line and then ride and don't get intimidated, the bike will be fine. I should have knobbies on the pig soonish, then we can do those sections if you want, the pig likes sand :D

Capt,

Yes, let's get together this weekend. I think an email has been sent to you but not certain. Another rider has contacted me and prefers Sunday. What is your choice?

Dave

I did the squeeze and dropoff with a 950 like yours. I think you'd be okay, at least you did okay when we went riding last, just feather the clutch in 2nd gear so you can keep your momentum up without grabbing too much power, and then just ease along and keep your elbows up, you should do okay, stand in the sand more, and let the bike shift. Just take your time and find your line and then ride and don't get intimidated, the bike will be fine. I should have knobbies on the pig soonish, then we can do those sections if you want, the pig likes sand :D

UncleC,

All good advice. Practice, practice is the answer. Get those knobbies and let's get on it! I have no problem on the rought stuff, just need more confidence in the sand.

Dave

Actually the 950 tends to do fine in the sand, just lean back a bit to keep the front tire floating a little higher, keep a nice steady pace to keep your momentum and STAY OFF THE FRONT BRAKE, at least in corners...you'll be able to tell why :angry: You use the power to turn the bike, it has all you'll ever need, and then some. If it starts to sink in or stick, feather the clutch in second more than using the throttle, the throttle is too punchy on those bikes, and it quickly gets out of control unless you have amazing throttle control, especially in first, difficult to keep pointed in a straight line :blink: Once you get it though, the 950's do pretty well in sand, the key is to learn the finesse, otherwise the bike will beat you to death with it's weight, and then scare you with power :huh:

I'm mounting up the knobbies tonight and will be riding the pig at the X-650 demo day this Saturday at Amago, there's some sand on the small track if you want to get your feet wet with bailout options, plus you can see me attempt the doubles on the pig :lol:

Actually the 950 tends to do fine in the sand, just lean back a bit to keep the front tire floating a little higher, keep a nice steady pace to keep your momentum and STAY OFF THE FRONT BRAKE, at least in corners...you'll be able to tell why :angry: You use the power to turn the bike, it has all you'll ever need, and then some. If it starts to sink in or stick, feather the clutch in second more than using the throttle, the throttle is too punchy on those bikes, and it quickly gets out of control unless you have amazing throttle control, especially in first, difficult to keep pointed in a straight line :blink: Once you get it though, the 950's do pretty well in sand, the key is to learn the finesse, otherwise the bike will beat you to death with it's weight, and then scare you with power :huh:

I'm mounting up the knobbies tonight and will be riding the pig at the X-650 demo day this Saturday at Amago, there's some sand on the small track if you want to get your feet wet with bailout options, plus you can see me attempt the doubles on the pig :lol:

I'll be camping in the area with my wife and am able to ride Sat/Sun if anyone else is in to camping lets see if we can put together some riding and camping, Captcham

Captcham,

I will trailer the bike down Saturday arriving approximately 11:00 and find you wherever you decide to camp. I can arrive earlier if anyone else is making the trip Saturday. We can tool around a bit and compair Orange Bikes. I can't camp this weekend, as the wifes in a class Saturday. I am really open to general exploration. Looking at the maps; Old Carrizo Stage Station, Pinyon Mtn. Valley, Little Blair Valley all bear investigation. Everything is on the table. My attitude is to check out the road/trail surface for enjoyment factor, then go from there. The maps show many options.

Other folks have expressed an interest in visiting the area Sunday. I can ride the whole way Sunday if that

is the prefered mode. At that point, continue the trolling for a good time.

Dave

bagstr,

I can shoot down on Sun. and meet up with you guys or if you are heading out to the S2 again on Sunday, meet up along the way at a place like the Carls Jr off Tavern rd and I8. or even down at the I8 S2 junction.

Then once down there meet up with Captcham and anyone else in the area.

Did some trails down there in a 4x4 like Canyon Sin Nombre, remember some sandy spots, but plenty of hardpack too.

G

Captcham,

I will trailer the bike down Saturday arriving approximately 11:00 and find you wherever you decide to camp. I can arrive earlier if anyone else is making the trip Saturday. We can tool around a bit and compair Orange Bikes. I can't camp this weekend, as the wifes in a class Saturday. I am really open to general exploration. Looking at the maps; Old Carrizo Stage Station, Pinyon Mtn. Valley, Little Blair Valley all bear investigation. Everything is on the table. My attitude is to check out the road/trail surface for enjoyment factor, then go from there. The maps show many options.

Other folks have expressed an interest in visiting the area Sunday. I can ride the whole way Sunday if that

is the prefered mode. At that point, continue the trolling for a good time.

Dave

post-2136-1196353698_thumb.jpg

Actually the 950 tends to do fine in the sand, just lean back a bit to keep the front tire floating a little higher, keep a nice steady pace to keep your momentum and STAY OFF THE FRONT BRAKE, at least in corners...you'll be able to tell why :) You use the power to turn the bike, it has all you'll ever need, and then some. If it starts to sink in or stick, feather the clutch in second more than using the throttle, the throttle is too punchy on those bikes, and it quickly gets out of control unless you have amazing throttle control, especially in first, difficult to keep pointed in a straight line :) Once you get it though, the 950's do pretty well in sand, the key is to learn the finesse, otherwise the bike will beat you to death with it's weight, and then scare you with power :D

I'm mounting up the knobbies tonight and will be riding the pig at the X-650 demo day this Saturday at Amago, there's some sand on the small track if you want to get your feet wet with bailout options, plus you can see me attempt the doubles on the pig :D

I'll be camping in the area with my wife and am able to ride Sat/Sun if anyone else is in to camping lets see if we can put together some riding and camping, Captcham

Am currently on for the Bradshaw ride, but I'm pretty new and wondering if it may be a little much for me. Do you have a good idea where you will be camping? If I ride with you on my KLR, maybe I can keep up.

Dave

I think I will be camping in open area in Blair Valley. There is a large area by the dry lake which is open for camping on state forest land, been there before and you can camp where you please. Check out this link, we will set up a camp and have a metal fire ring so if you want all you need is a tent and food and you can leave whatever you like at camp so you don't have to carry it for the ride as my wife and dog will be in camp. I think we should try to meet up at the S2 and Blair valley exit for anyone interested and go from there about 11 am Sat. let me know what works for you guys. Sunday I'm open for whatever. Feel free to cal me 619-645-6475

http://www.eugenecarsey.com/camp/anza-borr...blairvalley.htm

;) Rain, who wudda thunk? Well I gotta ride so I'm still going. I am changing camping to Vallecito County Park I will be in space #13 and have room for one more tent or if you prefer there are other spaces. Anybody who wants to ride meet up at the park entrance around 11am Sat. or come by the camp site. We will figure out where to ride once we are there as there are several options. If ya wanna ride Sun. I'm in too. Feel free to call me, I don't know if I will have service. Steve (619) 654-6475 :(

;) Rain, who wudda thunk? Well I gotta ride so I'm still going. I am changing camping to Vallecito County Park I will be in space #13 and have room for one more tent or if you prefer there are other spaces. Anybody who wants to ride meet up at the park entrance around 11am Sat. or come by the camp site. We will figure out where to ride once we are there as there are several options. If ya wanna ride Sun. I'm in too. Feel free to call me, I don't know if I will have service. Steve (619) 654-6475 :(

Capt,

I will see you at Vallecito Saturday, hopefully by 11:00. I will leave La Mesa by 0900 pulling trailer with a white F150.

Dave 619-994-9481

I'll be there as well, around 11:00 am. I'll be looking for your camp site. I'm loading my tent on the KLR as we speak.

Cheers

Dave