Sign in to follow this  
bikeslut

December 2

Trails Comp at Lark-

saw at least two SDAR guys are competing- I'm going to cheer them on or heckle them... :)

I'll be bringing an 8 year old and an 11 year old. We'll buzz around from point to point watching different riders. Any other family types plan on going out?

I'll be on the TW200, so if any bikeless guys want to come along, I can bring the DRZ.

I know a bunch of you will be on the Bradshaw trail that day, but if you're not, plan on going to see this event. It's nice to get a new perspective about what is actually ridable... given the right equiment and brass ones...

Trails Comp at Lark-

saw at least two SDAR guys are competing- I'm going to cheer them on or heckle them... :)

I'll be bringing an 8 year old and an 11 year old. We'll buzz around from point to point watching different riders. Any other family types plan on going out?

I'll be on the TW200, so if any bikeless guys want to come along, I can bring the DRZ.

I know a bunch of you will be on the Bradshaw trail that day, but if you're not, plan on going to see this event. It's nice to get a new perspective about what is actually ridable... given the right equiment and brass ones...

I'm a "definite maybe" :) ......how's that for walking the fence? :D My company's Christmas party is the night before and I won't be home til ~1am........ so obtaining an early morning hall pass Sunday morning could be political suicide with the gal pal (that being said, Daryl will be at the same Christmas party and he's scheduled to compete! :D ).......on the other hand, if I agree to take her son and my son with me that oughta help the cause :) .....I assume I can drive a truck to a point near the competition area? (we won't have bikes with us). Fred - you and Karl oughta come with us......

Daryl - What time do the festivities begin? And can someone give me directions off the 8FWY......I'm not very familiar with that area.....

Trails Comp at Lark-

I'm a "definite maybe" :) ......how's that for walking the fence? :D My company's Christmas party is the night before and I won't be home til ~1am........ so obtaining an early morning hall pass Sunday morning could be political suicide with the gal pal (that being said, Daryl will be at the same Christmas party and he's scheduled to compete! :D ).......on the other hand, if I agree to take her son and my son with me that oughta help the cause :) .....I assume I can drive a truck to a point near the competition area? (we won't have bikes with us). Fred - you and Karl oughta come with us......

Daryl - What time do the festivities begin? And can someone give me directions off the 8FWY......I'm not very familiar with that area.....

8 east to the "Boulevard" exit... turn right off the freeway, and go less than half a mile to 94/Old 80.... turn left... about a mile or two to Mc Cain Valley road, turn left again (easy to miss this one, although it's a big paved road, the main hiway is veering off to the right, when you should be turning left) stay on that road, but you do veer right as it turns to dirt... a couple of miles on easy dirt road to the "lark canyon" area, which will be on the left after a sharp right hander... campgrounds are the next two entrances on the left; all connected by easy trails.

Day use area is free, small fee for camp ground area... all the "obstacles" are right on the trails, so it's easy to tool around watching the event...

8 east to the "Boulevard" exit... turn right off the freeway, and go less than half a mile to 94/Old 80.... turn left... about a mile or two to Mc Cain Valley road, turn left again (easy to miss this one, although it's a big paved road, the main hiway is veering off to the right, when you should be turning left) stay on that road, but you do veer right as it turns to dirt... a couple of miles on easy dirt road to the "lark canyon" area, which will be on the left after a sharp right hander... campgrounds are the next two entrances on the left; all connected by easy trails.

Day use area is free, small fee for camp ground area... all the "obstacles" are right on the trails, so it's easy to tool around watching the event...

If I head out with Kathy and the boys I might wind up pimping out in the toybox so I can transport 2 bikes & 2 quads (though that would be a big hassle for a day trip).....I assume there's ample space near the campground to just pull over and park the truck/toybox, unload, and ride the bikes/quads over to the competition area?......or we may just bring the truck and some mtn bikes.....I like that option better if it's not too far from the parking area to the compeition area.....

Not sure i would take the toy hauler for a day trip, because the day area has some sandy woops... very short section, but I expect you'd bottom out... the campground (really close, and you can connect to the day use by the trails) should be fine ($6) for the toybox

Pretty sandy area; not really mountain bike friendly if you ask me... which is why I am bringing the TW...

quads are ok, as trail speeds will most likely be slow that day due to all of the trials bikes, but the trails are not all that wide...

See you out there...red F150 crew with white enclosed trailer

Last year there were several stages within walking distance. Some stages were pretty far away and we all drove our motorcycles from one stage to the next.

I think I'll be in on this one along with my son. We'll bring the Honda "B Team" bikes, CRF230 and XR100.

Well gosh darn diddily... I really wanted to check this out, but I am on the weekend shift and will be stuck at work until 4pm sat and sun. The good news is I have mon and fri off next week so I will keep an eye out for any weekday rides. El DRZ has some dust on the seat and needs a good riding/cleaning ;)

Well gosh darn diddily... I really wanted to check this out, but I am on the weekend shift and will be stuck at work until 4pm sat and sun. The good news is I have mon and fri off next week so I will keep an eye out for any weekday rides. El DRZ has some dust on the seat and needs a good riding/cleaning ;)

I could be persuaded to venture out on Monday...Ocotillo Wells? Superstition?

Monday is supposed to be nice and sunny...

I'll be out there as well. Look for a KLX paired up with a red honda quad.

Hey Guys i really want to ride this sunday !

I contact Husky (Martin) and probably we are able to ride with you guys

Somebody could you let me know exactly the time we gonna meet and where (some directions please ) ???

We will leave from Pacific Beach, i'm not really practice ( I just mouve here 1 years ago from Italy ;) )

Thank you guys hope we can make it !!

Stefano

Hey Guys i really want to ride this sunday !

I contact Husky (Martin) and probably we are able to ride with you guys

Somebody could you let me know exactly the time we gonna meet and where (some directions please ) ???

We will leave from Pacific Beach, i'm not really practice ( I just mouve here 1 years ago from Italy ;) )

Thank you guys hope we can make it !!

Stefano

great thank you at what time we meet there ???

Thanks

Stefano

great thank you at what time we meet there ???

Thanks

Stefano

i should be out there before 8:30... yellow DRZ with a superman logo on the flyscreen, and a coupld of kids. Ozzy and his new KTM will be with me and a newbie on my tw200.

bring a camera... we'll have a cooler with some refreshments and snacks, and a couple of lounge chairs.

so SDAR peeps there will be: Stefano, Ozzy, Crawdaddy, tntmo, bbqwill, bikeslut so far.

darylh is "competing" as was somebody else... daryl will be wearing a red husqvarna shirt, riding a gas gas trials bike... GO DARLY!

This sounds like fun! We can watch some of the events, and do some riding around since it's an OHV park... Hey Stefano, I'm going to try to make it, but don't promise I will be there at 8:30 a.m. I have a christmas party tonight, finishing after 1 a.m. If I'm not there when you guys start riding, just leave without me and I'll see some of the events and stuff... maybe catch up with you guys later... I'm planning on taking my husky on the back of my jeep... <_<

Editted 12/2/07 evening: Sorry we could not make it to this ride. Due to circumstances out of our reach, Stefano and self ended up at Amago track... Hope you guys had fun!

Trails Comp at Lark-

saw at least two SDAR guys are competing- I'm going to cheer them on or heckle them... :blink:

I was ill this weekend so I didn't make it over :):P ......how was it? :):)

Trails Comp at Lark-

saw at least two SDAR guys are competing- I'm going to cheer them on or heckle them... :blink:

I was ill this weekend so I didn't make it over :):P ......how was it? :):)

I was out there w/ my girlfriend and saw a couple plated bikes tooling around. We made one loop around the course and watched mainly the intermediate guys. I was impressed with the guys who brought their kids out to compete with them; well actually impressed with all but one guy, he was a jerk to his son and just left him at a station after he stalled. But the trails were awesome, no dust, not too cold, definitely not hot, a few puddles here and there, not too many people and LOTS of burms.

It was lots of fun. Met a number of folks who ride trials in our area and got some invites to come practice on some nice sounding private land with guys who know how to ride a trials bike.

Got a shout out from Bikeslut at one of the stages but was unable to stop and chat as I was hooked up with two other guys, one newbie like me and another Sportsman class guy who has been competing for a couple years. He volunteered to lead us around and show us the ropes and lines.

I rode Open class so I'd have the option of picking Novice, Sportsman, or Intermediate lines. Doing that meant I wouldn't get points towards a finish place which was fine because I was more interested in finding out which group was best for me.

Never did ride any of the Intermediate lines even though in some cases they looked easier than the Sportsman lines - tougher climbs, but easier turns in some of the stages.

It was great to see the kids out there, a 7 year old on a tiny little bike, a girl about 10 or so on what must have been an 80 or 125 but full or 3/4 sized frame. What a trooper! A couple other kids in the sub teen catagory.

The most impressive though I think were the kids in the 15 to 18 age range. Several Experts and at least one Master. They looked so at home on those bikes.

I asked one kid who was about 15 how long he'd been riding trials and he said 8 years. He and his brother practice a minimum of 2 hours a day 6 days a week. He had Ryan Young (6 time national champ) as his minder for a couple years. I got to see him ride a couple Expert stages, but didn't get to see his brother ride any of the Master lines.

Didn't get to see any experts for that matter. They split us up in to groups with different starting stages so we wouldn't all be queued up behind each other through all 10 sections. That meant we were out of sync enough with the Masters that we didn't get to see any :-(

A great time though and next time I come I'll try to bring the wife and kiddies and drag the toyhauler in there. I think the girls would have a blast watching this stuff.

daryl- no worries; I knew you were preoccupied with staying upright and all; I was just showing you support, I didn't expect a hug :rolleyes:

Glad you had fun... conditions were perfect (except for you guys; looked like the rocks got a little slick as mud caked up on them)

My kids had a blast, Ozzy got to ride his brand new kTm 450, and the newbie had a good time. Some of the masters were pretty fun to watch, but the kids really seemed to prefer riding themselves.

No boo boos, 2 temporary mechanical (1 electrical short, and one water in the airbox), the bolt falling out of the slutbike finally had us leaving around 3