Sign in to follow this  
tntmo

Raced a Harley this weekend

I raced a Harley this weekend and after some really hard riding I managed to PASS the guy. I was riding on one of those really, really twisting sections of canyon road with no straight sections to speak of and where most of the curves have warning signs that say "15 MPH".

I knew if I was going to pass one of those monsters with those big-cubic-inch motors, it would have to be a place like this where handling and rider skill are more important than horsepower alone.

I saw the guy up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could catch him, but it wouldn't be easy. I concentrated on my braking and cornering. Three corners later, I was on his fender. Catching him was one thing; passing him would prove to be another.

Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down the mountain. I think he was shocked to see me next to him, as I nearly got by him before he could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd manage to pull up next to him as we started to enter the corners but when we came out he'd get on the throttle and out power me. His horsepower was almost too much to overcome, but this only made me more determined than ever.

My only hope was to outbrake him. I held off squeezing the lever until the last instant. I kept my nerve while he lost his. In an instant I was by him. Corner after corner, I could hear the roar of his engine as he struggled to keep up. Three more miles to go before the road straightens out and he would pass me for good.

But now I was in the lead and he would no longer hold me back. I stretched out my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the canyon, he was more than a full corner behind.

Once the road did straighten out, it seemed like it took miles before he passed me, but it was probably just a few hundred yards. I was no match for that kind of horsepower, but it was done. In the tightest section of road, where bravery and skill count for more than horsepower and deep pockets, I had passed him. Though it was not easy, I had won the race to the bottom of the canyon and I had preserved the proud tradition of another of America's best bikes.

I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled so hard in my life. And some of the credit must go to Schwinn, as well. They really make a great bicycle...

Hi way 79? Downhill obviously... Good story... I kept thinking "a DRZ should SMOKE a cruiser on that kind of road... what are you braggin about?"

Great road to freak out motorcyclists and autos on a bike...

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Great story. :D I wasnt on my bicycle, but I was on my XRL 650 no shirt, wet suit,sandals, surfboard in rack. This guy split lanes and races up next to me at a stop light. I knew what was up, but let him get ahead, Then I shifted and pinned it and blew by him, surfboard and all. :D:D At the next light he took off alot slower. :D

I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled so hard in my life. And some of the credit must go to Schwinn, as well. They really make a great bicycle...

Excellent, I was thinking the same thing as Bob, either the Yamaha or Suzuki should destroy a harley in the twisties, the last sentence caught me by suprise :D:D:D . Ken

It's just a story, I couldn't beat anything else on two wheels on a bicycle. Made me laugh when I read it so I passed it on.

Ha ha, that was good! I once raced a Harley and I was on a sport bike. I came up behind him on Palomar and when he found out it was a race, he really put it to me. I couldn't figure out how he was schoolin' me till we got to the top and stopped to talk. Turns out the bike was custom built from the wheels up and only weighed about 400 pounds. He and his next-door neighbor built it. Who was his next-door neighbor; Mert Lawell (or is that Lawill? Anyway, you know, Mr. Flat track champ). :D

Yea I thought I was fast down Banner too - till I almost slid off my knobbies going around a turn. I let the fast sportbikes go by after that. Often you can outcorner crusiers since they have little clearance. Scraping hardparts is nerve racking.

Good story,

I've been on the track a few times with Harleys when I was racing with CCS. Usually it was Buttonwillow but have ridden with them on the Streets and Big Willow. There were a few fast Harleys out there but they were all Buels, not the regular Sportster type or whatever it is that Harley makes these days.

With the right guy on board they can move right along. With a GSXR-750 they were always beatable but sometimes surprisingly hard work to put behind you.

Never encountered a Harley, Buel or otherwise, in the canyons that was much sport though.

There was a guy who used to come up to Palomar occasionally who'd drag the whole right side of his bike in turns doing his best to play with the sport bikes, and could in fact keep some of the guys behind him, but any of the faster than average riders made pretty quick work of him.

Back in '75 I used to troll for Harleys on my RD-350 and give them a good what for :-)

I usually pass Harley's at a brisk walk, they're normally parked :)

I saw a bike wreck up by Idylwild (sp) where a group of sportbikes came up behind some slow Harley's, and one of the guys on a GSXR ran right up the rearend of one of the full dress varieties on the exit of a corner, tore up the Harley quite a bit, but the Suzi went home in buckets. Gotta watch for slow moving vehicles...and they're so loud while being so slow...amazing. In the end it's the rider, my brother used to beat me no matter what I was riding :D

Not to perpetuate a cliche of Harley riders (too much anyway), but i took a friend riding on an easy dual sport ride... he crashed ten times...

So he decided that it would be safer to ride a street bike (a cruiser) than a dirt bike :)

He also told me he wants the pipes that warn drivers that you're around, as all his buddies say it's safer...

Dude... it's safer to learn to ride a bike first... and it's safer to do that away from cars... on a bike with an upright riding position, good brakes and power.

and the whole "don't break formation" thing...

I'm not biased by style, I have developed an opinion based on experience.... they're roadblocks; they suspend conversation in your minivan until you can pass them due to their pipes; they blip their throttles to keep the bike from stalling (try tuning the bike!)

This by no means is ALL of any type of rider... just my experience with the majority...which is another good lesson for us...we are "dirt bikers" to most of the world, and people lump us togther, too.

bashing thread off.

Has anyone seen the movie "Wild Hogs" Thats the Hideout salooon in henshaw valley any given weekend.I have to say only about 10% of them have more than 5 yrs experience. Non experienced riders with 18" ape hangers wondering why their bike doesnt corner and the loud pipes scream look at me.